Any tips for pitching/centering

  • Tripp Clark
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 25, 2003
      First, let me apologize for likely overlooking the obvious. I just
      purchased a HH-Expedition A-Sym last week and have only piched it
      twice; once in the backyard and once to actually camp in this past
      weekend. So far, I am impressed and expect this to be my shelter of
      choice at least half of the year (the warmer half). Both times I set
      it up, however, I had to tie it up and then untie and adjust a couple
      of times to get it properly centered between the trees. Is there a
      simple trick for this or does it just come more naturally with time
      and practice? I guess I could measure the distance between the trees
      (A), measure the hammock (B), subtract B from A, divide by 2 and
      allow that much line on each side. Maybe that is the best and only
      way. Am I missing something?
    • Shane
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 25, 2003
        > I just purchased a HH-Expedition A-Sym last week and have
        > only piched it twice; once in the backyard and once to
        > actually camp in this past weekend. So far, I am impressed
        > and expect this to be my shelter of choice at least half of
        > the year (the warmer half). Both times I set
        > it up, however, I had to tie it up and then untie and adjust
        > a couple of times to get it properly centered between the
        > trees. Is there a simple trick for this or does it just
        > come more naturally with time and practice?

        It will get easier with time and practice. The other thing to know is that
        you don't have to be perfectly centered between the trees. There is a lot
        of forgiveness built into the system. If you're using the Snakeskins, it
        makes life easier.

        What I do is lay the hammock out between the trees and center it on the
        ground. I tie one side, and then the other. Since it's already laid out, I
        have a good idea how it should hang. I rarely have to adjust it in any way.

        Shane
      • David Chinell
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 25, 2003
          Tripp:

          Measurements and math might indeed be a good way, if not the
          best. Alas, it's more science than I can manage at the end
          of a hike.

          I sometimes start by tying the hammock loosely, without the
          treehugger straps, using a taugline hitch. Then you can
          adjust the hammock back and forth. Once it's centered, tie
          one end the right way, but without pulling it very tight (so
          as not to slip the tautline on the other end). Finally, tie
          the other end and tension the whole thing at that end.

          When I'm doing this, I usually gauge things by how far back
          the working end of the hammock line comes along the
          ridgeline. Things like "it's a forearm short of touching the
          fabric of the hammock."

          Or take along a buddy and help each other out.

          Bear