Re: First overnight in a hammock

  • jwj32542
    Message 1 of 2 , May 14, 2005
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Paul V."
      <cruisenewsnet@y...> wrote:
      > How do you adjust the hammock so that it gives a flatter sleeping
      > platform?

      Were you sleeping on the diagonal? That's the first step...you'll
      never get flat if you're laying along the centerline of the hammock.

      Since you sleep on the diagonal, pulling out the middle more than
      the ends won't really help you lay flatter. Actually, most of us
      pull the edges out farther than the middle, then whip or tie the
      knot (a la Speer) to keep the edges from flopping.

      Did you have enough sag? Pulling the hammock too tight forces you
      along the centerline...you'll sleep like a banana and get sore
      shoulders from the hammock squeezing you. It's counter-intuitive,
      but for a flatter sleeping platform you need to loosen the supports
      and let the hammock "sag". With sag, you can comfortably lay on the
      diagonal and get pretty flat.

      You'll have to find the right amount of sag to allow you to be flat
      (or nearly so) on the diagonal. It's different for each hammock,
      but once you find it, you'll know.

      Adding a fixed ridgeline allows you to set the sag so it won't
      change each time you set up the hammock, and it doesn't matter how
      high you hang it or how tight the ropes are. Without the ridgeline,
      you'll just have to eyeball it. Tom Hennessey has his version
      patented, but that doesn't matter unless you're selling a copy...you
      can copy it if it's for personal use. I put them on my homemade

      Glad you slept well...welcome to hammock hanging! If this doesn't
      help, just post again and I'm sure someone will be able to help.