RE: [Hammock Camping] Sleeping bag as insulation?

  • Chuck Haak
    Message 1 of 3 , May 12, 2005
      Patrick wrote:
      Has anyone ever tried using a sleeping bag in that space?

      Hi Patrick,
      I have used a rectangular sleeping bag tucked into a Garlinton type
      sleeve with pretty good success. This was on car camping and canoe trips
      where weight and bulk were not a big issue. This method has kept me warm
      down into the mid to high 30s. On a recent canoe trip I slept cool and I
      think it was because there was an air gap between me and the sleeping
      bag. It was probably a simple adjustment problem, but you know how it
      seems like you would be even colder if you got our to fumble around in
      the dark to fix it? While lying there shivering, I mentally designed an
      underquilt with built in adjustments to eliminate the air gap. There is
      the next project. I use a homemade 4' x 7' quilt over me that has served
      well.

      Pbmoo4