Scouts and Hammock Camping.

  • Scot Leibacher
    Message 1 of 1 , May 11, 2005
      Yes. The Hennessey website also has a special page on Scout related news, Troop money earning projects, etc. In fact, Hennessey has two models called the "Cub" and the "Scout", each for just under $80 for Scout Troop and Den purchases. And, it turns out that Lord Baden-Powell, the originator or Boy Scouting used a tent hammock of sorts during his military career in South Africa. Here is what he has to say about the hammocks they used:

      The founder of the Boy Scouts, Sir Robert Baden-Powell, slept in hammocks
      when out of doors and recommended them highly. He even had one permanently
      set up outside his home.

      This was actually the Ashanti Hammock, which was less like a Mayan Hammock and more like a suspended
      cot. In Young Knights of the Empire, page 184, he wrote, "Another form of
      tent which I used in Mafeking and South Africa, and still use for sleeping
      out in, in England, is one which you would hardly call a tent. It is
      really a slung cot, with a moveable canvas roof to it. It is called the
      'Ashanti Hammock'. It packs up quite small, and is put up in a few
      minutes. Requires no pegs. Keeps you off the wet ground. And when the
      gale comes and all the tents in camp blow down, you lie there swinging
      gently in the breeze, the envy of all the rest. It also forms an
      excellent stretcher if you are ill and have to be carried; and if you die
      it also makes a very satisfactory coffin, being laced over you as you lie
      in it. Very complete, isn't it?"

      -------------- Original message from Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...>: --------------

      Weren't hammocks featured in "Scouting" last year?