Hammock at 35 F

  • colonelcorn76
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 24, 2003
      I just got back from a weekend in the woods with my Hennessey
      Ultralight Asym. Light breeze of 5-10mph for 1/2 the night and temp
      was 35 degrees overnight (or at least at 2am when I went pee). I was
      in a Slumberjack down mummy bag rated at 30 degrees. No pad (forgot
      it -- would have sworn it was already in my pack when I put the rest
      of the stuff in...but turns out my son took it from my pack to use
      himself). But I did have a Reflectix type truck windshield screen
      from Wal-mart.

      As for clothes -- fresh dry wool socks, silk longjohns, nylon pants,
      cotton t-shirt, lightweight fleece vest. Forgot the hat too :(
      Woefully ill-prepared but I was in a big hurry to get on the road
      and figured it was all in the pack like it usually is --- just
      didn't count on number 2 son.

      I was a little chilly at times when the windshield screen would
      slide up the side of the hammock but once I made it wider (it was
      one of those 2 piece screens where you size it for the size truck
      windshield by adjusting the overlap and I didn't notice the "seam"
      down the length) it fit edge to edge & I stopped needing to adjust
      it underneath me.

      Not my preferred winter-ish sleeping but still better than on the
      ground in a tent. I woke up a couple of more times then normally
      when in the hammock but less than when I'm in a tent. And since the
      ground was wet with the 4 feet of snow that recently melted (with
      the help of an inch of rain) I would have been sleeping squishy!

      BTW, Jerry's self-tensioning fly worked great (using slingshot
      tubing between the fly ring and the fly's cord).

      Jim