Re: Hammock Bivy

    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 20, 2003
      Thanks for the photos Debra. Glad to hear of the success with your
      hammock bivy. As you suggest, a VB bag should solve the inside
      condensation problem--it will also add a few more degrees of
      warmth...Ed

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Debra Weisenstein"
      <dweisens@a...> wrote:
      > I added 2 photos of the homemade hammock bivy (in this yahoo group
      > photo gallery). Weight of the bivy is about 20 oz. I slept in it
      > last night and it definitely adds 5-10 degrees of warmth to my
      > sleeping bag. Overnight temperature was 25F. I got frost on the
      > outside of the bivy and frozen condensation on the inside. I'll
      have
      > to remember to use a vapor barrier inside my bag next time.
      >
      > -DebW
      >
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Debra Weisenstein"
      > <dweisens@a...> wrote:
      > > Just finished sewing a hammock-compatible bivy sack. Goretex top
      and
      > > coated ripstop bottom with half-length zipper. I made it to use
      either
      > > on the ground or in a hammock. Both ends have 12 inch velcro slits
      > > through which the hammock ties can extent. I had to make the head
      end
      > > longer than necessary for ground use in order to clear the end of
      the
      > > hammock. Seems to add quite a bit of warmth while in the hammock.
      One
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 29, 2004
        DebW,

        It has been about a year since you made your hammock bivy, any more
        insight that you would like to share? I still occassionally go back
        and marvel at what you did.

        Youngblood

        <dweisens@a...> wrote:
        > I added 2 photos of the homemade hammock bivy (in this yahoo group
        > photo gallery). Weight of the bivy is about 20 oz. I slept in it
        > last night and it definitely adds 5-10 degrees of warmth to my
        > sleeping bag. Overnight temperature was 25F. I got frost on the
        > outside of the bivy and frozen condensation on the inside. I'll
        have
        > to remember to use a vapor barrier inside my bag next time.
        >
        > -DebW
        >
        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Debra Weisenstein"
        > <dweisens@a...> wrote:
        > > Just finished sewing a hammock-compatible bivy sack. Goretex top
        and
        > > coated ripstop bottom with half-length zipper. I made it to use
        either
        > > on the ground or in a hammock. Both ends have 12 inch velcro slits
        > > through which the hammock ties can extent. I had to make the head
        end
        > > longer than necessary for ground use in order to clear the end of
        the
        > > hammock. Seems to add quite a bit of warmth while in the hammock.
        One
        > > could put insulation or extra clothes in the bottom portion under
        the
        > > hammock just like a Garlington Insulator. I've posted a picture on
        > > Sgt. Rock's site
        > > (http://hikinghq.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=528).
      • Debra Weisenstein
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 2, 2004
          Thanks, Youngblood. Nothing really new to share. The hammock bivy I
          made is a bit on the heavy side, with ripstop bottom and goretex top.
          I may make another with silnylon bottom and a lighter more breathable
          top. Maybe a Speer down top blanket for bottom insulation. I have
          gotten a few requests for the pattern, but it's really just using the
          girth of your sleeping bag and the length of the hammock. Lately I've
          been loving backyard hammocking with an old polarguard bag used like a
          peapod and a down bag inside. Think I'll buy a Kelty Light Year 3D 30
          degree bag with foot zip as soon as I get my REI dividend - looks like
          an excellent bag for use around a hammock. If I can use that alone
          with a hammock down to 40-45 degrees in summer, it would be excellent.
          Still trying to come up with the perfect system for hanging and
          shelter sleeping both.

          DebW

          > DebW,
          >
          > It has been about a year since you made your hammock bivy, any more
          > insight that you would like to share? I still occassionally go back
          > and marvel at what you did.
          >
          > Youngblood
          >
          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Debra Weisenstein"
          > <dweisens@a...> wrote:
          > > I added 2 photos of the homemade hammock bivy (in this yahoo group
          > > photo gallery). Weight of the bivy is about 20 oz. I slept in it
          > > last night and it definitely adds 5-10 degrees of warmth to my
          > > sleeping bag. Overnight temperature was 25F. I got frost on the
          > > outside of the bivy and frozen condensation on the inside. I'll
          > have
          > > to remember to use a vapor barrier inside my bag next time.
          > >
          > > -DebW

        • Rebecca
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 23, 2004
            Last Saturday night I had the chance to set up my Hennessy Expedition
            Asym as a bivy. I used the method that Shane describes here:

            http://tinyurl.com/a5qx

            I didn't use the tarp - it was a nice night and I wanted to watch the
            stars.

            I slept with my head at the entrance end, making it easy to slide my
            feet into my sleeping bag and on top of my pad. The hammock stayed
            steady and secure all night despite my tossing and turning.

            Picture of me figuring out how the heck to set it up, with a lot of
            commentary but no help by onlookers:

            http://community.webshots.com/photo/127521418/127536688jdHflJ

            Picture of me inside the hammock:

            http://community.webshots.com/photo/127521418/127539327kEPNRs

            The way I had it set up made it difficult to attach the tarp if I had
            wanted to. If I needed the tarp I would have moved the poles out
            further. As you can see in the second picture there is more than
            enough room - it's roomier than a bivy. It sagged a little during the
            night - there was heavy condensation that everyone had problems with.
          • SF Nazdarovye
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 23, 2004
              I set up my Ultralight Backpacker A-Sym the same way on this trip, with
              the added twist of using the single hanging rope to set up a "tripod"
              with the hiking pole. I did this by putting two stakes about a foot and
              a half to either side of the pole and out from it a bit, then looping
              the hammock rope around the pole, running it down to one stake, across
              the ground to the second stake, then back up to the pole, where I tied
              it off. Seemed to work as well as using additional rope, which I didn't
              have.

              I took some pictures, but the camera lens was fogged and they didn't
              turn out well enough to post. If my explanation wasn't clear, let me
              know and I'll try to clarify. Meanwhile, backpkrmn got a picture of me
              in the hammock/bivy:

              http://community.webshots.com/photo/127521418/127540733ZHBtmp

              And I'm standing next to it here at left in this picture (Rebecca is
              pitching hers at right; the other two bystanders are poking fun at our
              shelter choice ;)

              http://community.webshots.com/photo/127521418/127538006QVDgkf

              It was not the most comfortable shelter, but it worked. I would have
              rather had the Explorer model for this, as it has a bit more room.

              - Steve

              On Mar 23, 2004, at 3:40 PM, Rebecca wrote:

              > Last Saturday night I had the chance to set up my Hennessy Expedition
              > Asym as a bivy. I used the method that Shane describes here:
              >
              > http://tinyurl.com/a5qx
              >
              > I didn't use the tarp - it was a nice night and I wanted to watch the
              > stars.
              >
              > I slept with my head at the entrance end, making it easy to slide my
              > feet into my sleeping bag and on top of my pad. The hammock stayed
              > steady and secure all night despite my tossing and turning.
              >
              > Picture of me figuring out how the heck to set it up, with a lot of
              > commentary but no help by onlookers:
              >
              > http://community.webshots.com/photo/127521418/127536688jdHflJ
              >
              > Picture of me inside the hammock:
              >
              > http://community.webshots.com/photo/127521418/127539327kEPNRs
              >
              > The way I had it set up made it difficult to attach the tarp if I had
              > wanted to. If I needed the tarp I would have moved the poles out
              > further. As you can see in the second picture there is more than
              > enough room - it's roomier than a bivy. It sagged a little during the
              > night - there was heavy condensation that everyone had problems with.
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • SF Nazdarovye
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 23, 2004
                Oh - and I slept the other way, with my head at the usual end and my
                feet by the opening. That worked well for me and seemed to make getting
                in and out of the hammock easier, especially given the lower pitch of
                the Backpacker (shorter) model.

                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 23, 2004
                  And one last note - backpkrmn got a nice overview shot of the camp:

                  http://community.webshots.com/photo/127589022/127599385kYcRJR

                  From left to right you can see our two hammock bivies above a Tarptent
                  Squall and Cloudburst, then an old Europa tarptent between two more
                  standard small tents. Dave slept in an ID bivy sack, which was between
                  the Europa and the right-most tent. Quite a collection of lightweight
                  shelters!

                  - Steve
                • Tom Jarrell
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 23, 2004
                    Rebecca,

                    A question about ground use of a HH, do you need to protect the fabric bottom from punctures and snags?  The material appears delicate.

                    I'd rather hang, but when nature gives you pasture and an unobstructed view of the stars you don't complain.

                    Tom

                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 23, 2004
                      I don't understand how you can tolerate it as a bivy. I set mine up and was
                      out of there in about 30 seconds. Very cramped when on the ground. Awful!
                      This is not a set up for claustrophobes.
                      Marsanne

                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 23, 2004
                        To be honest, I didn't really think about it. I suppose I could have
                        used the tarp as a groundsheet if needed, but the ground was pretty
                        smooth and it didn't concern me. Good point though.

                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Jarrell" <tjarrell@c...>
                        wrote:
                        > Rebecca,
                        >
                        > A question about ground use of a HH, do you need to protect the
                        fabric bottom from punctures and snags? The material appears delicate.

                        > I'd rather hang, but when nature gives you pasture and an
                        unobstructed view of the stars you don't complain.

                        > Tom

                        Service.
                      • nazdarovye
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 23, 2004
                          It was definitely not roomy...my shoulders were touching the netting
                          every time I rolled over.

                          As for a groundsheet, I did think about that, and chose a spot that
                          was covered with soft grass, rather than the rocks and rougher plants
                          that covered much of the site. The bottom of the hammock picked up no
                          dirt, stayed completely dry, and turned out to be the only part of the
                          hammock that I can't complain about in bivy mode!

                          Like Rebecca's, my hammock sagged a bit in the night, and there wasn't
                          much "headroom" to begin with. Plus, the condensation on the netting
                          was significant, soaking the outer layer of my sleeping bag where they
                          touched. (Of course, the other single-wall shelters all had lots of
                          condensation at this site as well - the hammocks weren't singled out.)

                          All in all, it was good to prove that it's possible to use the hammock
                          this way in a pinch. Hopefully there won't be too many future pinches.

                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "firefly" <firefly@e...> wrote:
                          > I don't understand how you can tolerate it as a bivy. I set mine up
                          and was
                          > out of there in about 30 seconds. Very cramped when on the ground.
                          Awful!
                          > This is not a set up for claustrophobes.
                          > Marsanne
                        • Shane Steinkamp
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 24, 2004
                            > Like Rebecca's, my hammock sagged a bit in the night, and there
                            > wasn't much "headroom" to begin with. Plus, the condensation on the
                            > netting was significant, soaking the outer layer of my sleeping bag
                            > where they touched. (Of course, the other single-wall shelters all
                            > had lots of condensation at this site as well - the hammocks
                            > weren't singled out.)

                            You might have had less condensation if you had pitched the tarp, though.
                            Something about the dew point is sniggling in the back of my mind...

                            Shane
                          • SF Nazdarovye
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 24, 2004
                              I debated this myself - I kind of wish I'd tried it (just from an
                              experimental/learning basis), but I sure enjoyed looking up at the
                              stars from my "hammobivy."