Re: youngblood project?

    Message 1 of 2 , May 7, 2005
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "slowhike" <slowhike@y...>
      wrote:
      > to young blood /ed... i wish i had the resorces to make & test
      some
      > of the ideas i have for backpacking. it would be great to get a
      little
      > extra income from something i enjoy so much, but i`m just a poor
      boy;
      > poor in cash & sewing abillitys, so, in the meantime i`ll just
      through
      > out a few ideas & see if others find them interresting enough to
      try.
      > this idea is really an extention of your newly introduced speer pad
      > extender. for those who still enjoy the convenince of a chair kit
      so
      > they can sit where they wish, i`ve thought abought combining a
      > comfortable chair w/ pack. but now that i`ve seen your great
      invention
      > of the pad extender, i`m thinking, hey, i`m going to sew extentions
      > (wings) onto my chair sides to save weight! but if you were to like
      > this idea & make a proto type, i would concider these thoughts. the
      > top might be thin fleece ( if strong enough) & bottom some type
      nylon
      > light,but strong enough to take the stress that a chair takes. then
      > probably something even stronger for the rod sleeves. i`ve also
      > thought about using treking poles for the back suports.? you`d have
      > high back chair w/ head rest. thanks...slowhike

      Slowhike,

      Thanks for the compliments. This was something that I threw out on a
      website last year for someone wanting to use pads for insulation in
      their hammock. They decided to try the Garlington insulator approach
      instead, but the more I thought about it, the more I was convinced
      that it was a good idea. Well, I finally built one and I was
      impressed enough to contact Ed and show it to him. I tested several
      prototypes pretty extensively last winter on numerous backpacking
      trips and in the backyard whenever we got a cold snap. Ed and I both
      came up several prototypes for a more universal product for
      production that wouldn't require lots of different models. It was a
      lot of fun, we came up with several different variations and they all
      worked fine. It was tough narrowing it down to what we now have
      because we liked several of the variations.

      You ought to build prototypes up of your ideas, you never know what
      you got until you try it out. You almost always learn something when
      you do and it just gives you more ideas of things to try. A lot of
      us on here tinker with stuff like this and share ideas. It's a neat
      hobby for folks that like to tinker. I understand about the sewing,
      I've had to learn a lot of it the hard way... I'm pretty good at seam
      ripping.

      Youngblood