Flat Sleeping

  • Edley McKnight
    Message 1 of 13 , May 6, 2005
      Hi, Newbie here.

      In looking around for Hammocks that I could build I found:
      http://www.australianheritagefleet.com.au/SpecEv/Hammock.html
      A hammock with no sag!
      Has anyone tried one like this?

      Edley.
      Message 2 of 13 , May 7, 2005
        I haven't seen a hammock like that... closest thing in appearance would
        be the Treeboat but I don't thing the Treeboat puts you in a flat
        postion like that. It reminded be of a dolphin sling or stretcher.
        It's a clever concept utilizing catenary curves with suspension rope
        and spreader bars that used a suspension bridge design for guidance. I
        was wondering if you enter/exit from the ends or the sides?

        Youngblood

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Edley McKnight" <edleym@y...>
        wrote:
        > Hi, Newbie here.
        >
        > In looking around for Hammocks that I could build I found:
        > http://www.australianheritagefleet.com.au/SpecEv/Hammock.html
        > A hammock with no sag!
        > Has anyone tried one like this?
        >
        > Edley.
      • Mirage
        Message 3 of 13 , May 7, 2005
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Edley McKnight" <edleym@y...> wrote:
          > Hi, Newbie here.
          >
          > In looking around for Hammocks that I could build I found:
          > http://www.australianheritagefleet.com.au/SpecEv/Hammock.html
          > A hammock with no sag!
          > Has anyone tried one like this?
          >
          > Edley.

          Welcome Edley.

          While I've never see this one, there was some discussion (and I did some prototyping) of
          hammocks cut with a Catenary curve on the sides and ends. This is a similar approach,
          but they solve the problems I was having with sag on my prototypes by incorporating the
          hang lines along the full length.

          I have seen one other hammock with a slightly different approach to laying flat in a
          hammock. It's call the Pika Parasite Hammock, marketed to big wall climbers:

          http://www.overthecrux.com/products.cfm?
          productIDtoDisplay=113&parentcategoryid=80%7Caid%20%26%20big%20wall&categoryID
          =80|aid%20%26%20big%20wall&vendoridtodisplay=0&startrow=1&filterFor=&collection=

          or

          http://tinyurl.com/bn2ko

          Great find, and easy enought to reduce weight by using trekking poles as stays and lighter
          weight materials and rope.

          One problem I see with it and the way I like to insulate is that the peapod (Speer product)
          or other "underquilts" will not be able to efficiently wrap around the hammock and
          occupant.

          But then thats why there are other ideas like wide pads, overlap pads and the new Spear
          product, SPE (Segmented Pad Extenders).

          different strokes for different folk, but thanks alot for posting the find.

          Shane "Mirage"...
        • Mike Lipay
          Message 4 of 13 , May 7, 2005
            > Hi, Newbie here.
            >
            > In looking around for Hammocks that I could build I found:
            > http://www.australianheritagefleet.com.au/SpecEv/Hammock.html
            > A hammock with no sag!
            > Has anyone tried one like this?
            >
            > Edley.

            My concern, just looking at it, is the large openings at the head and
            foot. I would imagine it would be tricky keeping the bugs out. Is there
            something that I didn't see that would act as a bug net?

            mike
          • zippydooda
            Message 5 of 13 , May 9, 2005
              OOooo, very interesting. Talk about putting on your thinking cap.
              Looks kinda heavy but I bet you could make it lighter. It may end up
              being sensitive to two things, neither one insurmountable.

              1- Weight shift toward the head or foot end may result in the hammock
              tilting down at the head or foot end. Regular hammocks do this some
              too, but this one may be more sensitive, i.e. smaller shifts may
              result in greater deflection from horizontal.

              2- If you hang it too tight, it may be raised in the middle. Too
              loose, and it may be raised at the ends. So if you want to get it
              juuuuust right, it may drive you crazy.

              I think that you can probably get over or around both issues without
              any problem. I would worry more that people will splash water on you
              and say "hang on flipper, we'll get you your new home as soon as
              possible." ;-)

              Let us know how it goes.

              Bill in Houston

              Message 6 of 13 , May 25, 2007
                wrote:

                > Hi, Newbie here.
                >
                > In looking around for Hammocks that I could build I found:
                > http://www.australianheritagefleet.com.au/SpecEv/Hammock.html
                > A hammock with no sag!
                > Has anyone tried one like this?
                >
                > Edley.

                I understand JRB has worked on this. I did come across some
                campground(?) type hammocks that look to have very little sag as well.

                http://www.eurekatent.com/foldinghammock.asp

                and

                http://www.eurekatent.com/rockinghammocks.asp

                With that last one, you may want to tie the ends down to something to
                keep it steady.

                And for those really hot summer days at Hot Springs along the French
                Broad River I found this http://www.beachstore.com/detail.aspx?ID=1942
                . You may need an anchor and rope with this unless you get in the
                river upstream from our campsite.

                Youngblood
                Message 7 of 13 , May 25, 2007
                  cool stuff dave<g>. especially the water hammock.
                  if you don't mind, i'd like to share those w/ hammockforums.
                  edley... dave's right about "jacks are better" making a version of the hammock in your link, but it's not quite the finished model yet, so it's not on their web site. maybe soon. ...tim

                  wrote:

                  > Hi, Newbie here.
                  >
                  > In looking around for Hammocks that I could build I found:
                  > http://www.australianheritagefleet.com.au/SpecEv/Hammock.html
                  > A hammock with no sag!
                  > Has anyone tried one like this?
                  >
                  > Edley.

                  I understand JRB has worked on this. I did come across some
                  campground(?) type hammocks that look to have very little sag as well.

                  http://www.eurekatent.com/foldinghammock.asp

                  and

                  http://www.eurekatent.com/rockinghammocks.asp

                  With that last one, you may want to tie the ends down to something to
                  keep it steady.

                  And for those really hot summer days at Hot Springs along the French
                  Broad River I found this http://www.beachstore.com/detail.aspx?ID=1942
                  . You may need an anchor and rope with this unless you get in the
                  river upstream from our campsite.

                  Youngblood

                • Carey Parks
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 25, 2007
                    It will be interesting to hear if that hammock design works for those who
                    don't find the "normal" hammock comfortable. Even more interesting will be
                    what people who do find their current hammock very comfortable think of it.
                    I'd like to try one and see if I find it as comfy as my HH. I spent 12.5
                    hours in it, on my back and was not really in a hurry to get out. I think
                    the curve is part of the reason for that. I get out of my tent ASAP!

                    Message 9 of 13 , May 25, 2007
                      Tim,

                      If you really want to get flat you can always sleep directly on
                      shelter floors. Hahaha, but I have only met a very few folks that can
                      do that. There is a light weight backpacking cot that looks like it
                      would work http://www.luxurylite.com/cotindex.html but even simpler
                      than that is an air mattress. They have them with no insulation for
                      warmer weather, they have them with some synthetic insulation for
                      moderate temperatures and they have them with down insulation for
                      serious insulation. I have a Exped7, which is 2.8 inches thick and a
                      Stevenson 80 inch long one that is 4.5 inches thick. They are
                      comfortable on anything including concrete and warm enough to go to
                      any temperature I camp in. My experience with them in hammocks is
                      they flatten the lie a good bit but you need a pretty good size
                      hammock to use them, especially since they raise you up enough to
                      affect stability.

                      Personally I have found that the full width Speer style hammocks are
                      pretty dang comfortable and if you want it more comfortable/flatter,
                      just make it longer. The tradeoff is the longer they are they heavier
                      and bulkier things get. At some point you just have to make tradeoffs
                      that suit you. I've been doing it long enough now that I can get
                      comfortable using several different types of insulation schemes and I
                      suspect you can too.

                      Dave

                      Message 10 of 13 , May 26, 2007
                        pretty cool cot... but i'd still rather swing in my hammock<g>.
                        yeah, i use a insulated air mat in my hammock. it's extreamly comfy & it does help you to lay even flater. i use the big agness insulated air core in warmer temps & the exped 7 in colder temps.
                        because of a back injury & surgerys i've had to use an air mat in the hammock, but recently i've noticed that the back is doing better & i've been sleeping w/o a mat this week.
                        so this summer i will probably leave the air mat home.
                        BTW... i've found a 10" hammock to be an optimal length for me. but only 50" wide.
                        ....tim

                        Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:
[...]

                        .

                      • C C Wayah
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 26, 2007
                          > BTW... i've found a 10" hammock to be an optimal length for me. but only
                          > 50" wide.
                          > ....tim

                          Hum,
                          How tall are you? 10" by 50" weighs?
                          Ducking and Running!

                          CCWayah
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 26, 2007
                            i tried out for that new show "short people", but i was to small???
                            just kidding... i ment 10' x 50"<g>. ...tim

                            C C Wayah <ccwayah@...> wrote:

                            > BTW... i've found a 10" hammock to be an optimal length for me. but only
                            > 50" wide.
                            > ....tim

                            Hum,
                            How tall are you? 10" by 50" weighs?
                            Ducking and Running!

                            CCWayah

                          • C Morley
                            Message 13 of 13 , May 28, 2007
                              And only $200, wow a bargain!

                              Okay, it IS a very cool cot and if I had that kind of cash and a tent it'd be the only cot I'd take camping with me, but I'd still rather hang around my hammock (home made based on hennesy with the under storage of a clark and side entrance). Much more comfortable and I don't have to find a flat spot, worry about putting it all together in a downpour or disturb the vegetation in the campsite. Nice idea though.

                              Craig