Re: sleeping pads

    Message 1 of 5 , May 6, 2005
      Becky,

      I've always tried to be a little careful with the dimpled pads in a
      hammock. I feel that if the dimples are against the breathable
      fabric of the hammock, they don't hold pockets of air as well and
      this affects their insulating ability, especially in wind. Otherwise
      they work okay and may me more comfortable.

      Speer Hammock's has a brand new product that specifically addresses
      the problems with using pads in a hammock that you might not be aware
      of. This is the link to it:
      http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm . I'm biased since I
      participated in its development and did a lot of prototype testing
      with it. I think it is a great product for using pads in hammocks.

      Youngblood

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, LivNLrn3R@a... wrote:
      > Question about closed cell foam sleeping pads --
      >
      > I've been reading all over the internet to learn about keeping warm
      in my new
      > HH and have decided to definitely plan on carrying a pad, since I
      backpack in
      > the Sierras at higher elevation and sleep cold anyway.
      >
      > The question is, I've seen debate on this...is a flat pad going to
      be warmer
      > or an egg-crate dimpled type?
      >
      > I read somewhere an argument against the dimpled type because the
      air pockets
      > aren't against the ground when hammocking, but Ed's book says the
      opposite.
      > Also something like a Z-rest only comes in one width, doesn't it?
      Isn't it
      > easier to find more width in the solid blue pads?
      >
      > Anyone tried both and have experience to share?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Becki

    • zippydooda
      Message 2 of 5 , May 6, 2005
        Hmm, I always put the dimples toward me, not away from me.

        Bill in Houston