Re: [Hammock Camping] sleeping pads

    Message 1 of 5 , May 6, 2005
      What really helps is when the material is somewhat resistant to
      slipping. The more "rubber" feel the better.

      I have not been able to tell much difference between eggshell and flat
      pads. But the only eggshell I have used is the wallmart pad with a
      rubbery texture. The hammock tends to curl the pad a lot. I think a
      zrest might be harder to fold after using it in a hammock than on the
      ground or in a shelter.

      The easiest way to find width is to overlap two half pads. It is the
      only way I was ever able to keep my shoulder and my knee warm when
      sleeping on my side.

      http://www.imrisk.com/overlappad/overlap.htm

      Rick

      Message 2 of 5 , May 6, 2005
        Becky,

        I've always tried to be a little careful with the dimpled pads in a
        hammock. I feel that if the dimples are against the breathable
        fabric of the hammock, they don't hold pockets of air as well and
        this affects their insulating ability, especially in wind. Otherwise
        they work okay and may me more comfortable.

        Speer Hammock's has a brand new product that specifically addresses
        the problems with using pads in a hammock that you might not be aware
        of. This is the link to it:
        http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm . I'm biased since I
        participated in its development and did a lot of prototype testing
        with it. I think it is a great product for using pads in hammocks.

        Youngblood

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, LivNLrn3R@a... wrote:
        > Question about closed cell foam sleeping pads --
        >
        > I've been reading all over the internet to learn about keeping warm
        in my new
        > HH and have decided to definitely plan on carrying a pad, since I
        backpack in
        > the Sierras at higher elevation and sleep cold anyway.
        >
        > The question is, I've seen debate on this...is a flat pad going to
        be warmer
        > or an egg-crate dimpled type?
        >
        > I read somewhere an argument against the dimpled type because the
        air pockets
        > aren't against the ground when hammocking, but Ed's book says the
        opposite.
        > Also something like a Z-rest only comes in one width, doesn't it?
        Isn't it
        > easier to find more width in the solid blue pads?
        >
        > Anyone tried both and have experience to share?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Becki

      • zippydooda
        Message 3 of 5 , May 6, 2005
          Hmm, I always put the dimples toward me, not away from me.

          Bill in Houston