RE: Hammock Camping Digest Number 77

  • Chamness, David
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 19, 2003
      There's a lot of discussion about centering the hammock, and the knots that
      people tie to hang their hammocks. I've been using a sliding knot on my
      main hammock rope. It's based on an old, nautical knot, and seems to hold
      well. I weigh a good bit more than most, and I am usually joined in the
      hammock by my wife, two kids and usually one of our dogs, at some point.
      I've never had it let me down.

      The name of the knot is a tautline knot. I won't try to describe the tying
      of it, since a quick search on google will bring up graphics that do a much
      better job.

      If a single tautline is not secure enough for folks, then a treesaver strap
      at the tree, and a section of light (but strong) line tied in a loop with
      sliding adjustible knots can be used. There's no faster way to adjust the
      length of the line. I prefer to tie new knots each time, but I enjoy that
      kind of thing.

      With an ajustable loop, one could easily adjust from 6 inches (adjusted
      small with one twist) to about four feet (max extention.) The light line I
      use is good to about 1600 lbs in this configruation. The adjustment
      wouldn't take more than 15 seconds or so.

      David