hammock weight vs tent

  • slowhike
    Message 1 of 12 , May 4, 2005
      i`ve recently become addicted to hammock sleeping & i`m still
      working on system variations (homemade) for differant temps expected
      in NC mountians spring through fall. as money alows & i continue to
      read about differant options i`ll probably buy some of the great
      sounding stuff i`ve been seeing on line. but i have a friend who`s
      very interrested in the hammock, but wants to know how the weight of a
      hammock sleep system compares to sleeping on a pad on ground in tent
      or tarp. i know there are 2 million combination possibilitys for ea.
      also i remember someone saying that you may not actualy reduce your
      weight much if any w/ hammock (especialy if you sleep cold) but the
      comfort factor is worth a small weight penalty in this area. i wonder
      if some mite be willing to comment on this subject?
      thanks...slowhike
    • Mirage
      Message 2 of 12 , May 4, 2005
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "slowhike" <slowhike@y...> wrote:
        > i`ve recently become addicted to hammock sleeping & i`m still
        > working on system variations (homemade) for differant temps expected
        > in NC mountians spring through fall. as money alows & i continue to
        > read about differant options i`ll probably buy some of the great
        > sounding stuff i`ve been seeing on line. but i have a friend who`s
        > very interrested in the hammock, but wants to know how the weight of a
        > hammock sleep system compares to sleeping on a pad on ground in tent
        > or tarp. i know there are 2 million combination possibilitys for ea.
        > also i remember someone saying that you may not actualy reduce your
        > weight much if any w/ hammock (especialy if you sleep cold) but the
        > comfort factor is worth a small weight penalty in this area. i wonder
        > if some mite be willing to comment on this subject?
        > thanks...slowhike

        Slow,

        My system weighs in at 2lbs, 7.1oz (tarp, hammock, bugnet, straps,
        stakes).

        http://www.peak.org/~webdawg/Hammocking/MirageHammockSystem/

        Add to that my down under/over quilt at 33oz.

        Shane "Mirage"...
      • Moe T. Crow
        Message 3 of 12 , May 4, 2005
          My HH Asym BP'er tips the scales at about 2 lbs. my old tent (2 man
          free standing dome) is 7 lbs. that gives me 5 lbs of play before i
          even come close to tenting :-)

          --
          To some people motorcycling is a sport,
          to others a hobby, and to some a lifestyle.
          Message 4 of 12 , May 4, 2005
            When you get people's answers, make sure you compare apples to
            apples. Mirage has given you the weight of a system that is good in
            blowing rain and even blowing sleet, and is also bug proof. The
            super UL guys will tend to quote stuff that is only good in certain
            very specific not-too-bad situations. Ryan Jordan's photos of his
            PCT hike were very illustrative as far as the level of comfort one
            might expect in a tarp/poncho type setup in the rain. He is much
            tougher than I am, smarter too, and better looking, so don't flame
            me, please, Ryan's friends.

            Bill in Houston

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Mirage" <mirage@p...> wrote:
            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "slowhike" <slowhike@y...>
            wrote:
            > > <snip> addicted to hammock sleeping <snip> but i have a friend
            <snip>how the weight of a
            > > hammock sleep system compares to sleeping on a pad on ground in
            tent
            > > or tarp. <snip>
            > thanks...slowhike
            >
            > Slow,
            >
            > My system weighs in at 2lbs, 7.1oz (tarp, hammock, bugnet, straps,
            > stakes).
            >
            > http://www.peak.org/~webdawg/Hammocking/MirageHammockSystem/
            >
            > Add to that my down under/over quilt at 33oz.
            >
            > Shane "Mirage"...
          • Thomas Vickers
            Message 5 of 12 , May 4, 2005
              Being rather new to hammocks I can say this.
              Hammock + Cold weather adaptions are a bit lighter or about the same as a
              tent for me.

              Comfort is the deciding factor. Hammock wins out.
              Let me restate, I will never sleep in a tent again unless I am forced to.
              Hammock comfort vs tent comfort = Incredible vs sucks.

              Just my humble opinion

              TV
            • Eric Sandberg
              Message 6 of 12 , May 8, 2005
                wrote:
                > i`ve recently become addicted to hammock sleeping & i`m still
                > working on system variations (homemade) for differant temps
                expected
                > in NC mountians spring through fall. as money alows & i continue
                > read about differant options i`ll probably buy some of the great
                > sounding stuff i`ve been seeing on line. but i have a friend who`s
                > very interrested in the hammock, but wants to know how the weight
                of
                > hammock sleep system compares to sleeping on a pad on ground in
                tent
                > or tarp.

                Slowhike,

                The full system I've been using weighs just under 4 lbs. It
                consists of an insulated hammock, my quilt, a bug net, and a tarp
                (also my poncho). This would replace a ground camper's tent,
                sleeping bag, sleeping pad, and rain suit. When I looked at
                Campmor, I couldn't have a set up for ground camping under 7 lbs.
                This is good to about 30 degrees. When I take off the bug net and
                add a Travel Sack (ala Rick), I've had it to 9 degrees (wearing
                shorts and a T shirt) and it still is only 4 lbs. People who say
                hammock camping is heavier haven't tried it.
              • jwj32542
                Message 7 of 12 , May 8, 2005
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Sandberg" > The full
                  system I've been using weighs just under 4 lbs. It
                  > consists of an insulated hammock, my quilt, a bug net, and a tarp
                  > (also my poncho).

                  I'd be interested in pics and details if you have them!

                  What did you use for insulation? How much loft in the quilt, what
                  insulation and what design? Tarp size? All the goodies...

                  Jeff
                • Eric Sandberg
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 10, 2005
                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Sandberg" > The full
                    > system I've been using weighs just under 4 lbs. It
                    > > consists of an insulated hammock, my quilt, a bug net, and a
                    tarp
                    > > (also my poncho).
                    >
                    > I'd be interested in pics and details if you have them!
                    >
                    > What did you use for insulation? How much loft in the quilt, what
                    > insulation and what design? Tarp size? All the goodies...
                    >
                    > Jeff

                    I don't have any photos right now (maybe later on), but I can
                    explain it.

                    The hammock is made of 1.9 oz ripstop, it has 3 layers (about 2.25 -
                    2.5 inches) of "continuous fiber insulation" (read that Hollowfill
                    3D. OWF cannot say the name in print, but that's what it is) with a
                    1.1 oz ripstop underlayer. The insulation is about 40" X 40". The
                    hammock ends are tied via a nail knot with - I think it's called T-
                    100 line. It's 1/8" from West Marine. This line is also the
                    hanging straps. I like having the integrated insulation all year
                    round - much lighter and more comfortable than a pad. I suppose
                    that if I ever had to sleep on the ground I'd regret that choice.
                    But then, since I've taken to a hammock, I've never slept on the
                    ground.

                    The tarp/poncho is 1.1 oz silnylon - 10' X 5'. The quilt is
                    also "coninuous fiber" (2 layers) with 1.1 oz ripstop fabric. Add
                    some 1" webbing as tree savers and no-see-um netting and we're good
                    to 30 F. I've actually been to 25, but probably wouldn't count on
                    it for a long hike - this was in my back yard.

                    I also made a travel pod - a cocoon/bivy like thing that encases you
                    in 1.1 oz ripstop for when it gets really cold. 'been to 7 F in
                    that.

                    You can probably see that I stole a lot of ideas from folks here -
                    especially Rick (brilliant fellow that he is) and some from the
                    folks at www.backpackinglight.com.

                    I've also started to do some recreational tree climbing and am
                    really looking forward to sleeping 30' up a tree while hiking. I
                    think I'll swap out the T-100 line for something a bit stouter when
                    I do that. T-100 is rated at 900 lbs, but they recommend at least
                    5,000 when you're that far up. That will most likely add a pound to
                    the hammock weight.

                    If I get some photos (I'm awfully camera shy) I'll try to figure out
                    how to post them.
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 11, 2005
                      Eric,

                      Nice set-up. I have also been very pleased with the integral insulation
                      in the hammock. Nice to see many of my pages being put to use.

                      Rick

                    • Eric Sandberg
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 17, 2005
                        Absolutely. I think I've spent more time on your website than I care
                        to count (I spend way to much time on the computer. 'hope my boss
                        doesn't catch me). Used a bunch of your concepts, often with a
                        twist,
                        but yours to begin with.

                        Keep up the experimentation and I'll keep stealing from ya.

                        Eric

                        > Eric,
                        >
                        > Nice set-up. I have also been very pleased with the integral
                        insulation
                        > in the hammock. Nice to see many of my pages being put to use.
                        >
                        > Rick

                      • Aris Dennis
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 17, 2005
                          Hi all,
                          That article that there was a thread on... the one
                          about the scoutmaster using a hammock with pad down to
                          ridiculously low temps...
                          When I clicked on it, it said that it no longer
                          exists. I'd really like to read it. Does anyone have a
                          copy, or a link that works?
                          cheers,
                          Aris

                          http://mail.yahoo.com