RE: Hammock Camping Digest Number 76

  • Chamness, David
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 19, 2003
      In his message, Bear said

      "Now I'm imagining a loop made by simply sewing together the
      ends of 8 feet of polypro strapping. I'd pass the loop
      behind the tree, then feed one end through the other. That
      should work on trees up to a foot in diameter."

      This is essentially how I've hung hammocks for years. There are a couple of
      ways of doing it, but that way certainly works. Right now, I'm putting a 6
      inch loop of webbing at each end of a ~8' piece of webbing. Circle the tree
      like tying a karate belt and attach a carabiner to the end loops.

      This is secure, will absolutely not slip on the tree, and does not stress
      the webbing.

      David.

      By the way, my highschool nickname was JDBear, and I keep thinking the posts
      to Bear are directed at me!