Sailboat cabin hammock

  • Paul V.
    Message 1 of 2 , May 3 9:49 AM
      This weekend I put together a hammock for my 28' sailboat. The
      material was a 6' x 9' canvas painter's dropcloth from Lowes.

      I folded the end like a curtain, tied a 1/8" line around the end
      tightly, then folded the end over the line, and wrapped it a few times
      with an overhand knot in each wrap. This made kind of a bulb, and
      then I tied a final loop around the bulb and used the remaining 4 feet
      or so of line as a hanging line.

      For hanging points inside the cabin, I used eye nuts (a ring with a
      threaded hole) fastened to the underside of lifeline stanchions, which
      had 1/4" bolts coming down through the cabin ceiling. I also put some
      eye bolts through the bulkheads for additional tie off points. They
      seem to be very sturdy.

      The hammock is very comfortable. I have not slept in it yet but hope
      to as soon as it warms up a bit.

      I was surprised that it was so simple to make a hammock. I got the
      directions from this group and some of the hammock websites. Are
      there better ways to make a hammock than the folding over the ends
      method? The result seems to work very well, I am just surprised that
      it was so easy.

      Thanks to the group and website authors for your help.
    • zippydooda
      Message 2 of 2 , May 3 10:42 AM
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Paul V." wrote:
        > This weekend I put together a hammock for my 28' sailboat.

        That's a big hammock!

        > Are
        > there better ways to make a hammock than the folding over the ends
        > method? The result seems to work very well, I am just surprised that
        > it was so easy.

        A slipped double sheet bend might be a little more sophisticated
        looking. Plus, it's just so fun to say "slipped double sheet bend".

        Bill in Houston