Subject: Re: HH Questions

  • ptoddf@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2005
      Cubix,

      The stock HH fly is small, but worse, it flaps unmercifully in any wind,
      especially when rigged as designed. Keeps me awake. It gets slack when you get
      in the hammock. Better is to tie it to an independent ridgeline above the
      hammock. Better yet is the Mac Cat hammock fly, rigged with it's own ridge line
      from tree to tree.

      I put my HH "snakeskins" on the fly line, but with the ridgeline outside the
      snake skins. I have Y stakes on 10' lines at the 4 Mac Cat tie outs. They go
      into little sewed sleeves I put on each end of the fly. Skins cover tarp,
      lines and stakes, leaving the ridgeline exposed so I can hang stuff off it. I
      always put up this fat ridgeline, but only unfurl the fly if it's raining, or
      if the stars go out late at night. Most of the time, it's open sky star and
      meteor viewing, which I can't do without. (For this an open hammock with NO
      mosquito net is the best.)

      You always have to do a trial hang, so check for level then. You'll have to
      retie one end at least once then anyway for retensioning. I too thought about
      using a line level, but it seems unnecessary now. Not a real problem after a
      few nights.

      Best, Todd in Tarzana/Cat City.