Re: [Hammock Camping] Double sided hammock?

  • hiking@westernpa.us
    Message 1 of 6 , May 3, 2005
      I haven't reached that point yet, temps here are up enough that I can get
      away with a fleece blanket. Here's a few thoughts though from a similar
      issue my son had with some of his therapy equipment:

      1) Attach a product called Dycem (http://www.dycem.com), this is a
      non-slip surface that can be attached to the pad. I swear this stuff would
      make teflon non-slip.

      2) Velcro, not as nice, but would work.

      mike

      > Hello again,
      >
      > I am realizing that keeping that foam pad put is a major obstacle to
      > a good night's sleep. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to
      > sew a second piece on to the bottom. I am thinking about sewing a
      > piece of 1.1 oz nylon to the bottom that corresponds to the size of a
      > pad with some give. I am assuming one would simply have to lay the pad
      > on the bottom where it would usually be and trace a new piece to
      > correspond to this layout? Any advice appreciated.
      >
      > Happy sleeping.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Todd
    • Coy
      Message 2 of 6 , May 3, 2005
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "athiker1994" <athiker94@g...>
        wrote:
        > Hello again,
        >
        > I am realizing that keeping that foam pad put is a major obstacle to
        > a good night's sleep. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to
        > sew a second piece on to the bottom. I am thinking about sewing a
        > piece of 1.1 oz nylon to the bottom that corresponds to the size of a
        > pad with some give. I am assuming one would simply have to lay the pad
        > on the bottom where it would usually be and trace a new piece to
        > correspond to this layout? Any advice appreciated.
        >
        > Happy sleeping.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Todd

        You mentioned in the previous post that you use a Speer type hammock.
        You could try untying the knot at each end and making a double leyer
        hammock to hold you pad in place. If your pad is 27 inches wide like
        the Target pad then it usually wraps sufeciently to stay in place. If
        you have a 20 inch pad then the new SPE (Segmented Pad Extender)
        should help keep you pad in place. It will fold at each outside
        joints wher the 4 or 4 x 4 pads are on each side. see complete
        description here.

        http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm

        But if funds allow I think you will be most satisfied with something
        that surrounds the hammock so that you are sleeping on the hammock.
        For a hammock like yours Ed's Pea Pod is just the ticket. For
        Hennessy hammocks the Jacks are Better Underquilt would be my pick but
        having not used the pads and super shelter combo I cant say it is not
        a good solution. However, neither would work for your type hammock.
      • zippydooda
        Message 3 of 6 , May 3, 2005
          Maybe some of that grippy mesh stuff that goes under rugs and mats?

          Or make your own zhammock like on Risk's site.

          Bill in Houston

        • rosaleen43@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , May 3, 2005
            Todd-

            Actually, I have good luck with a piece of rubber grippy shelf liner between
            my less-than-fully-inflated Therm-a-Rest (for insulation) and my Hennessy
            hammock bottom.

            Other things you might try include CAREFULLY and strategically sewing some
            elastic straps to the hammock bottom. Some pieces that might resemble the old
            fashioned corner photo holders or just two bands that might secure your
            hammock. Also consider some of the elastic mesh that is turning up on backpacks to
            hold the user's sleeping pad for the pack's back pad.

            Good Luck!

            Rosaleen

            Message 5 of 6 , May 4, 2005
              Search the list about a year ago for information on double bottom
              hammocks. Also, my ZHammock is a double bottom hammock that keeps the
              pad in place pretty well.

              http://www.imrisk.com/zhammock/zhammock.htm

              Rick