Double sided hammock?

  • athiker1994
    Message 1 of 6 , May 3, 2005
      Hello again,

      I am realizing that keeping that foam pad put is a major obstacle to
      a good night's sleep. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to
      sew a second piece on to the bottom. I am thinking about sewing a
      piece of 1.1 oz nylon to the bottom that corresponds to the size of a
      pad with some give. I am assuming one would simply have to lay the pad
      on the bottom where it would usually be and trace a new piece to
      correspond to this layout? Any advice appreciated.

      Happy sleeping.

      Thanks,
      Todd
    • hiking@westernpa.us
      Message 2 of 6 , May 3, 2005
        I haven't reached that point yet, temps here are up enough that I can get
        away with a fleece blanket. Here's a few thoughts though from a similar
        issue my son had with some of his therapy equipment:

        1) Attach a product called Dycem (http://www.dycem.com), this is a
        non-slip surface that can be attached to the pad. I swear this stuff would
        make teflon non-slip.

        2) Velcro, not as nice, but would work.

        mike

        > Hello again,
        >
        > I am realizing that keeping that foam pad put is a major obstacle to
        > a good night's sleep. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to
        > sew a second piece on to the bottom. I am thinking about sewing a
        > piece of 1.1 oz nylon to the bottom that corresponds to the size of a
        > pad with some give. I am assuming one would simply have to lay the pad
        > on the bottom where it would usually be and trace a new piece to
        > correspond to this layout? Any advice appreciated.
        >
        > Happy sleeping.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Todd
      • Coy
        Message 3 of 6 , May 3, 2005
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "athiker1994" <athiker94@g...>
          wrote:
          > Hello again,
          >
          > I am realizing that keeping that foam pad put is a major obstacle to
          > a good night's sleep. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to
          > sew a second piece on to the bottom. I am thinking about sewing a
          > piece of 1.1 oz nylon to the bottom that corresponds to the size of a
          > pad with some give. I am assuming one would simply have to lay the pad
          > on the bottom where it would usually be and trace a new piece to
          > correspond to this layout? Any advice appreciated.
          >
          > Happy sleeping.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Todd

          You mentioned in the previous post that you use a Speer type hammock.
          You could try untying the knot at each end and making a double leyer
          hammock to hold you pad in place. If your pad is 27 inches wide like
          the Target pad then it usually wraps sufeciently to stay in place. If
          you have a 20 inch pad then the new SPE (Segmented Pad Extender)
          should help keep you pad in place. It will fold at each outside
          joints wher the 4 or 4 x 4 pads are on each side. see complete
          description here.

          http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm

          But if funds allow I think you will be most satisfied with something
          that surrounds the hammock so that you are sleeping on the hammock.
          For a hammock like yours Ed's Pea Pod is just the ticket. For
          Hennessy hammocks the Jacks are Better Underquilt would be my pick but
          having not used the pads and super shelter combo I cant say it is not
          a good solution. However, neither would work for your type hammock.
        • zippydooda
          Message 4 of 6 , May 3, 2005
            Maybe some of that grippy mesh stuff that goes under rugs and mats?

            Or make your own zhammock like on Risk's site.

            Bill in Houston

          • rosaleen43@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , May 3, 2005
              Todd-

              Actually, I have good luck with a piece of rubber grippy shelf liner between
              my less-than-fully-inflated Therm-a-Rest (for insulation) and my Hennessy
              hammock bottom.

              Other things you might try include CAREFULLY and strategically sewing some
              elastic straps to the hammock bottom. Some pieces that might resemble the old
              fashioned corner photo holders or just two bands that might secure your
              hammock. Also consider some of the elastic mesh that is turning up on backpacks to
              hold the user's sleeping pad for the pack's back pad.

              Good Luck!

              Rosaleen

              Message 6 of 6 , May 4, 2005
                Search the list about a year ago for information on double bottom
                hammocks. Also, my ZHammock is a double bottom hammock that keeps the
                pad in place pretty well.

                http://www.imrisk.com/zhammock/zhammock.htm

                Rick