Your advice- sleeping on back?

  • athiker1994
    Message 1 of 4 , May 3 6:10 AM
      Hello all,

      Thanks for all the great information first of all. I am a belly
      sleeper and have been trying to get used to hammock sleeping in the
      backyard. I built a prototype speer hammock and am trying it out. I am
      staying warm with a foam pad and a down bag but it's really hard
      getting used to sleeping on my back and semi-side. Is this something
      that becomes better with time or should I relegate myself to the cold
      ground again. :)

      Thank you,
      "Earplug" AT94
      Todd
    • Coy
      Message 2 of 4 , May 3 6:39 AM
        Hi Todd

        My advice would be try the hammock a few more times...but there is no
        tellin which you will eventually prefer. Just be honest with yourself
        over which way feels the best, especially the next morning. While it
        is hard for most of us (hammockers) to imaging prefering sleeping on
        the ground it is not unheard of. Aaron Robinson of Brasslite Stove
        fame tried a hammock and decided he slept better on the ground. He had
        more ground experience than a lot of us in his thru-hike. However,
        others who have thru-hiked with a tent are happy converts. I think
        Youngblood thru-hiked with a tent? but is now pretty much a year
        round hammocker. At first we (hammockers) were mostly summer hammock
        hangers and used the ground in cold weather. For most, the hmmock had
        us so spoiled we went about solving the cold back problem so we could
        enjoy our hammock year round. Good luck with either route you end up
        taking.

        Coy Boy

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "athiker1994" <athiker94@g...>
        wrote:
        > Hello all,
        >
        > Thanks for all the great information first of all. I am a belly
        > sleeper and have been trying to get used to hammock sleeping in the
        > backyard. I built a prototype speer hammock and am trying it out. I am
        > staying warm with a foam pad and a down bag but it's really hard
        > getting used to sleeping on my back and semi-side. Is this something
        > that becomes better with time or should I relegate myself to the cold
        > ground again. :)
        >
        > Thank you,
        > "Earplug" AT94
        > Todd
      • zippydooda
        Message 3 of 4 , May 3 10:52 AM
          You should be able to get on your side pretty well, huh? I'm a side
          and belly sleeper. I can get my body rotated 45-60 degrees to the
          side, and then get my head totally sideways or even down a little. I
          use a pillow. It helps me get my head at the right angle and gets my
          face out of the fabric.

          If you are a belly only sleeper, then maybe a hammock isn't worth it.
          I'm usually on my side, and on the ground I end up with lots of
          shoulder and hip pain. If I could do 100% back or belly sleeping I
          might go back to sleeping on the ground. Shh, don't tell the group ;-)

          Bill in Houston

          wrote:
          > Hello all,
          >
          > Thanks for all the great information first of all. I am a belly
          > sleeper and have been trying to get used to hammock sleeping in the
          > backyard. I built a prototype speer hammock and am trying it out. I am
          > staying warm with a foam pad and a down bag but it's really hard
          > getting used to sleeping on my back and semi-side. Is this something
          > that becomes better with time or should I relegate myself to the cold
          > ground again. :)
          >
          > Thank you,
          > "Earplug" AT94
          > Todd
        • athiker1994
          Message 4 of 4 , May 3 6:49 PM
            Thanks for the advice guys. I think I have a solution. I'm going to
            get my wife to duct tape me face down tonight. Problem solved. :) I am
            looking forward to sleeping out again though so something must be up.

            Thanks,
            Earplug.
            Todd