Re: [Hammock Camping] Bad trip

  • marta_clark
    Message 1 of 6 , May 2, 2005
      Thanks for the suggestions about preventing water infiltration,
      everyone. Next time we go out, there will definitely be some sort of
      cotton something in place on the straps.

      In spite of the water problems, David said he slept more than he
      usually does when lying on the ground. So he's willing to try the
      hammock again. I've got a fairly ambitious weekend planned from
      Hampton, TN, to US 19E, and I need his support with the car, and an
      overnight campout as part of it. I was hoping he'd fall in love with
      the hammock and be anxious to camp out again.

      Now if only it would warm up a bit. It is May, isn't it?

      Marta
    • AndrĂ© Corterier
      Message 2 of 6 , May 3, 2005
        btw, if I understand the concept correctly, hanging something off the
        hammock strap gives the water somewhere else to run when it follows
        gravity - the surface tension of the water keeps it together and sort
        of "sticking" to the strap's surface, while gravity has it slide
        downwards. If downwards leads into your hammock, that's where the water
        will go. Putting any length of any material whatsoever on the strap so
        that downward ends in a dead end before your hammock, the drops will
        accumulate additional drops until the weight of the drop overcomes its
        ability to adhere and will drip down. Under no circumstance should the
        drop reverse direction, climb back up and slide towards your hammock,
        so there should be no need for foot-long lenghts of material.

        So much for theory. In my HH, the snakeskins take care of this issue,
        so I have no actual experience. I'd be interested, however, if anyone
        has tried smaller strings (say, three inches of shoelace) to
        insufficient effect?

        Good luck on converting your husband, Marta. Still working on my wife -
        so far, she won't even try it out. My (nearly four year old) daughter
        was an instant convert, though. I think she'll get an extreme racer
        hammock or similar one-pound getup for her 5th birthday so she can
        carry it herself.

        André

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "marta_clark" <marta_clark@y...>