Re: [Hammock Camping] Bad trip

  • David Chinell
    Message 1 of 6 , May 2 1:29 PM
      Marta:

      I read the recommendation to use a natural fabric for its
      wicking properties, and spent months looking for just the
      right diameter and hand in an all-cotton cord. I keep about
      a foot of this tied onto each of my hammock ropes. (I use a
      tropical hammock.)

      Bear
    • Marie-Noëlle Augendre
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2 1:56 PM
        I take two bandanas with me on each trip, and tie them to the hammock straps
        during the night; for their wicking properties ... or for drying.
        Marie-Noelle

        2005/5/2, David Chinell <dchinell@...>:

        > Marta:
        >
        > I read the recommendation to use a natural fabric for its
        > wicking properties, and spent months looking for just the
        > right diameter and hand in an all-cotton cord. I keep about
        > a foot of this tied onto each of my hammock ropes. (I use a
        > tropical hammock.)
        >
        > Bear

        Retrouvez mes billets d'humeur,
        et les liens vers mes pages persos
        (livre d'or, photos, articles, etc.) sur :
        http://mnaugendre.blogspot.com/

      • marta_clark
        Message 3 of 6 , May 2 4:34 PM
          Thanks for the suggestions about preventing water infiltration,
          everyone. Next time we go out, there will definitely be some sort of
          cotton something in place on the straps.

          In spite of the water problems, David said he slept more than he
          usually does when lying on the ground. So he's willing to try the
          hammock again. I've got a fairly ambitious weekend planned from
          Hampton, TN, to US 19E, and I need his support with the car, and an
          overnight campout as part of it. I was hoping he'd fall in love with
          the hammock and be anxious to camp out again.

          Now if only it would warm up a bit. It is May, isn't it?

          Marta
        • André Corterier
          Message 4 of 6 , May 3 1:12 AM
            btw, if I understand the concept correctly, hanging something off the
            hammock strap gives the water somewhere else to run when it follows
            gravity - the surface tension of the water keeps it together and sort
            of "sticking" to the strap's surface, while gravity has it slide
            downwards. If downwards leads into your hammock, that's where the water
            will go. Putting any length of any material whatsoever on the strap so
            that downward ends in a dead end before your hammock, the drops will
            accumulate additional drops until the weight of the drop overcomes its
            ability to adhere and will drip down. Under no circumstance should the
            drop reverse direction, climb back up and slide towards your hammock,
            so there should be no need for foot-long lenghts of material.

            So much for theory. In my HH, the snakeskins take care of this issue,
            so I have no actual experience. I'd be interested, however, if anyone
            has tried smaller strings (say, three inches of shoelace) to
            insufficient effect?

            Good luck on converting your husband, Marta. Still working on my wife -
            so far, she won't even try it out. My (nearly four year old) daughter
            was an instant convert, though. I think she'll get an extreme racer
            hammock or similar one-pound getup for her 5th birthday so she can
            carry it herself.

            André

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "marta_clark" <marta_clark@y...>