Re: [Hammock Camping] Bad trip

  • karens62@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , May 2, 2005
      Hi Marta,

      i have really only had water come down the strap twice, both times when i didn't have anything tied on the strap. Once was a night with a LOT of water coming directly down and the other was a night with almost hurricaine force winds and I am not sure if the water actually came down the strap as much as was blown onto the strap. We did have a lot of rain last weekend but it wasn't hard and steady all night long and most of us were pretty protected by vegetation. That was probably the difference but I think you figured that out already.

      Ed ties his dirty liner socks around his straps; I don't wear liner socks so often don't use that solution. Any scrap of absorbant material that will hang down will work.

      In the past I have used:
      Socks
      Hair ties
      Strips of a worn and holey bandana
      Strips of those artificial chamois you can buy at flea markets for $1 for a whole big sheet
      Some black cotton thick shoelace things I picked up on the trail (had those tied on there for a number of trips)

      i'm sorry your husband had a negative experience, I hope he's willing to try it again!

      Karen

      Message 2 of 6 , May 2, 2005
        Marta:

        I read the recommendation to use a natural fabric for its
        wicking properties, and spent months looking for just the
        right diameter and hand in an all-cotton cord. I keep about
        a foot of this tied onto each of my hammock ropes. (I use a
        tropical hammock.)

        Bear
      • Marie-Noëlle Augendre
        Message 3 of 6 , May 2, 2005
          I take two bandanas with me on each trip, and tie them to the hammock straps
          during the night; for their wicking properties ... or for drying.
          Marie-Noelle

          2005/5/2, David Chinell <dchinell@...>:

          > Marta:
          >
          > I read the recommendation to use a natural fabric for its
          > wicking properties, and spent months looking for just the
          > right diameter and hand in an all-cotton cord. I keep about
          > a foot of this tied onto each of my hammock ropes. (I use a
          > tropical hammock.)
          >
          > Bear

          Retrouvez mes billets d'humeur,
          et les liens vers mes pages persos
          (livre d'or, photos, articles, etc.) sur :
          http://mnaugendre.blogspot.com/

        • marta_clark
          Message 4 of 6 , May 2, 2005
            Thanks for the suggestions about preventing water infiltration,
            everyone. Next time we go out, there will definitely be some sort of
            cotton something in place on the straps.

            In spite of the water problems, David said he slept more than he
            usually does when lying on the ground. So he's willing to try the
            hammock again. I've got a fairly ambitious weekend planned from
            Hampton, TN, to US 19E, and I need his support with the car, and an
            overnight campout as part of it. I was hoping he'd fall in love with
            the hammock and be anxious to camp out again.

            Now if only it would warm up a bit. It is May, isn't it?

            Marta
          • André Corterier
            Message 5 of 6 , May 3, 2005
              btw, if I understand the concept correctly, hanging something off the
              hammock strap gives the water somewhere else to run when it follows
              gravity - the surface tension of the water keeps it together and sort
              of "sticking" to the strap's surface, while gravity has it slide
              downwards. If downwards leads into your hammock, that's where the water
              will go. Putting any length of any material whatsoever on the strap so
              that downward ends in a dead end before your hammock, the drops will
              accumulate additional drops until the weight of the drop overcomes its
              ability to adhere and will drip down. Under no circumstance should the
              drop reverse direction, climb back up and slide towards your hammock,
              so there should be no need for foot-long lenghts of material.

              So much for theory. In my HH, the snakeskins take care of this issue,
              so I have no actual experience. I'd be interested, however, if anyone
              has tried smaller strings (say, three inches of shoelace) to
              insufficient effect?

              Good luck on converting your husband, Marta. Still working on my wife -
              so far, she won't even try it out. My (nearly four year old) daughter
              was an instant convert, though. I think she'll get an extreme racer
              hammock or similar one-pound getup for her 5th birthday so she can
              carry it herself.

              André

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "marta_clark" <marta_clark@y...>