Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: HH Questions

  • Nazdarovye
    Message 1 of 13 , May 2, 2005
      Becki - can't answer your question on the hex fly, but I own two
      Hennesys, a Cloudburst and a Brawny Tarptent (sounds like we've got a
      near-identical line-up)

      A CA hammock get-together would be great - there are a lot of us in the
      Bay Area in particular.

      - Steve (SF, moving to Tiburon later this month)

    • rosaleen43@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , May 2, 2005
        Shane-

        Agreed with most of what you said-Howled with laughter at the dressing hints!

        As to the head/foot part- I actually prefer to have my feet a bit higher
        than my head, especially after a long day of hiking....

        Another tip on the "leveling" thing. If the Treehuggers are loosley wrapped,
        you should be able to slide them up or down a bit to adjust one end. Also,
        centering the hammock between supporting trees is helpful, here.

        Cheers!

        Rosaleen
        Practice, practice, practice.

        It doesn't have to be perfectly level. Most people like their head a little
        higher than their feet anyway.

        Shane

      • LivNLrn3R@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , May 3, 2005
          Todd,

          I'm trying to picture what you describe, with the snakeskins.

          <<I put my HH "snakeskins" on the fly line, but with the ridgeline outsideĀ
          the
          snake skins. >>

          You have the snakeskins on the HH rainfly, to wrap up the HH with its fly,
          then you have a SECOND ridgeline for the Mac Cat bigger fly? Or ???

          I googled for mac cat tarp and didn't come up with anything. Do you have a
          link?

          I do like the idea of keeping the rainfly out of the way if not needed.

          Becki in CA

        • rosaleen43@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , May 3, 2005
            Becki-

            I can experiment with my HH Asym Backpacker and an Undercover and let you
            know if there seems to be much room left. If you are talking about the Silnylon,
            for now I'd think M-A-Y-B-E. If you are considering the pu coated Hex Fly,
            very likely not. that one is pretty bulky on its own.

            You will need the largest Snakeskins to accomodate the hammock AND Undecover.
            Could you call to order the 'skins and ask the Hennessy crew at the same
            time?

            Rosaleen
            From: LivNLrn3R@...
            Subject: Re: HH Questions

            I'm new here, just nabbed a HH backpacker asym on eBay since it was such a
            good price, more out of curiousity and trying to get a more comfortable sleep
            than any long-planned and researched purchase.

            In the past I've tented with both a Cloudburst and a Brawny Tacoma-for-2...I
            like both tents a lot but I've been through several tries with various pad
            arrangements to stay both warm & a little comfie. My bag is a Marmot Hydrogen
            and
            I sleep with exped weight long johns, fleece socks, fleece hat, etc and STILL
            am cold. Pitiful, I know.

            Regarding the hex fly for more dry room under a hammock, can that still fit
            into the snakeskins when you roll everything up? I was already looking at the
            largest size snakeskin because of getting an undercover and underpad to stay
            warmer. Just curious how much bigger the hex fly is than the standard rainfly.

            Thanks,
            Becki in CA -- very open to a CA hammock hanger get-together!

          • Banjo Doje
            Message 5 of 13 , May 4, 2005
              The snakeskins that fit the Expedition can hold both the hammock, the
              undercover and the overcover although it's pretty tight and you have
              to make sure that you wind it tight before pulling the snakeskins down
              or else you have to start all over. So depending on what size
              snakeskins you have, even if they are smaller, you should be able to
              do both the hammock and the undercover without the overcover. But I'm
              not sure with the Hex Fly - you should contact Tom Hennessy - they are
              GREAT people to talk to.

              Jodi, who's testing the HH Supershelter

              --
              " Everyday I am faced with challenges and I accept those challenges,
              no matter how tough the reality of my life is. I can take it because I
              Message 6 of 13 , May 4, 2005
                The MacCat tarp is made by a guy named Brian MacMillin (hence the
                name). He makes a special catenary cut tarp just for hammocking
                that's very nice. I decided though to go with a "standard" 8x10
                tarp that he also produces.....The website is

                www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com

                The prices are quite reasonable and the workmanship is outstanding.

                John