Bad trip

  • Marta Clark
    Message 1 of 6 , May 2, 2005
      I went camping with my husband this weekend and made
      the semi-ultimate sacrifice--I let him sleep in the
      new hammock while I slept in the tarptent on the
      ground. His hammock experience didn't work out all
      that well. We were up high on the AT, where the trees
      have not leafed out yet, and a steady, driving rain
      started up, intensifying as the night progressed. He
      woke up around midnight laying in a pool of water.
      The Pea Pod was pretty well soaked. He moved the
      insulated pad up under him and warmed up a bit, but it
      was a pretty bad night.

      When we got home, I read him the paragraphs in
      "Hammock Camping" about hanging a sock or something on
      the line to deal with this problem.

      It surprised me that it happened since the previous
      weekend, at Trail Fest, with all that rain, sleet, and
      snow, I had not had any water run down the straps and
      into the hammock. Do you all keep something on the
      line to intercept drips all the time?

      Marta

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • karens62@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2, 2005
        Hi Marta,

        i have really only had water come down the strap twice, both times when i didn't have anything tied on the strap. Once was a night with a LOT of water coming directly down and the other was a night with almost hurricaine force winds and I am not sure if the water actually came down the strap as much as was blown onto the strap. We did have a lot of rain last weekend but it wasn't hard and steady all night long and most of us were pretty protected by vegetation. That was probably the difference but I think you figured that out already.

        Ed ties his dirty liner socks around his straps; I don't wear liner socks so often don't use that solution. Any scrap of absorbant material that will hang down will work.

        In the past I have used:
        Socks
        Hair ties
        Strips of a worn and holey bandana
        Strips of those artificial chamois you can buy at flea markets for $1 for a whole big sheet
        Some black cotton thick shoelace things I picked up on the trail (had those tied on there for a number of trips)

        i'm sorry your husband had a negative experience, I hope he's willing to try it again!

        Karen

        Message 3 of 6 , May 2, 2005
          Marta:

          I read the recommendation to use a natural fabric for its
          wicking properties, and spent months looking for just the
          right diameter and hand in an all-cotton cord. I keep about
          a foot of this tied onto each of my hammock ropes. (I use a
          tropical hammock.)

          Bear
        • Marie-Noëlle Augendre
          Message 4 of 6 , May 2, 2005
            I take two bandanas with me on each trip, and tie them to the hammock straps
            during the night; for their wicking properties ... or for drying.
            Marie-Noelle

            2005/5/2, David Chinell <dchinell@...>:

            > Marta:
            >
            > I read the recommendation to use a natural fabric for its
            > wicking properties, and spent months looking for just the
            > right diameter and hand in an all-cotton cord. I keep about
            > a foot of this tied onto each of my hammock ropes. (I use a
            > tropical hammock.)
            >
            > Bear

            Retrouvez mes billets d'humeur,
            et les liens vers mes pages persos
            (livre d'or, photos, articles, etc.) sur :
            http://mnaugendre.blogspot.com/

          • marta_clark
            Message 5 of 6 , May 2, 2005
              Thanks for the suggestions about preventing water infiltration,
              everyone. Next time we go out, there will definitely be some sort of
              cotton something in place on the straps.

              In spite of the water problems, David said he slept more than he
              usually does when lying on the ground. So he's willing to try the
              hammock again. I've got a fairly ambitious weekend planned from
              Hampton, TN, to US 19E, and I need his support with the car, and an
              overnight campout as part of it. I was hoping he'd fall in love with
              the hammock and be anxious to camp out again.

              Now if only it would warm up a bit. It is May, isn't it?

              Marta
            • André Corterier
              Message 6 of 6 , May 3, 2005
                btw, if I understand the concept correctly, hanging something off the
                hammock strap gives the water somewhere else to run when it follows
                gravity - the surface tension of the water keeps it together and sort
                of "sticking" to the strap's surface, while gravity has it slide
                downwards. If downwards leads into your hammock, that's where the water
                will go. Putting any length of any material whatsoever on the strap so
                that downward ends in a dead end before your hammock, the drops will
                accumulate additional drops until the weight of the drop overcomes its
                ability to adhere and will drip down. Under no circumstance should the
                drop reverse direction, climb back up and slide towards your hammock,
                so there should be no need for foot-long lenghts of material.

                So much for theory. In my HH, the snakeskins take care of this issue,
                so I have no actual experience. I'd be interested, however, if anyone
                has tried smaller strings (say, three inches of shoelace) to
                insufficient effect?

                Good luck on converting your husband, Marta. Still working on my wife -
                so far, she won't even try it out. My (nearly four year old) daughter
                was an instant convert, though. I think she'll get an extreme racer
                hammock or similar one-pound getup for her 5th birthday so she can
                carry it herself.

                André

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "marta_clark" <marta_clark@y...>