Re: HH Questions

  • LivNLrn3R@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , May 2 10:02 AM
      I'm new here, just nabbed a HH backpacker asym on eBay since it was such a
      good price, more out of curiousity and trying to get a more comfortable sleep
      than any long-planned and researched purchase.

      In the past I've tented with both a Cloudburst and a Brawny Tacoma-for-2...I
      like both tents a lot but I've been through several tries with various pad
      arrangements to stay both warm & a little comfie. My bag is a Marmot Hydrogen and
      I sleep with exped weight long johns, fleece socks, fleece hat, etc and STILL
      am cold. Pitiful, I know.

      Regarding the hex fly for more dry room under a hammock, can that still fit
      into the snakeskins when you roll everything up? I was already looking at the
      largest size snakeskin because of getting an undercover and underpad to stay
      warmer. Just curious how much bigger the hex fly is than the standard rainfly.

      Thanks,
      Becki in CA -- very open to a CA hammock hanger get-together!

    • Nazdarovye
      Message 2 of 13 , May 2 10:22 AM
        Becki - can't answer your question on the hex fly, but I own two
        Hennesys, a Cloudburst and a Brawny Tarptent (sounds like we've got a
        near-identical line-up)

        A CA hammock get-together would be great - there are a lot of us in the
        Bay Area in particular.

        - Steve (SF, moving to Tiburon later this month)

      • rosaleen43@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , May 2 12:19 PM
          Shane-

          Agreed with most of what you said-Howled with laughter at the dressing hints!

          As to the head/foot part- I actually prefer to have my feet a bit higher
          than my head, especially after a long day of hiking....

          Another tip on the "leveling" thing. If the Treehuggers are loosley wrapped,
          you should be able to slide them up or down a bit to adjust one end. Also,
          centering the hammock between supporting trees is helpful, here.

          Cheers!

          Rosaleen
          Practice, practice, practice.

          It doesn't have to be perfectly level. Most people like their head a little
          higher than their feet anyway.

          Shane

        • LivNLrn3R@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , May 3 11:11 AM
            Todd,

            I'm trying to picture what you describe, with the snakeskins.

            <<I put my HH "snakeskins" on the fly line, but with the ridgeline outsideĀ
            the
            snake skins. >>

            You have the snakeskins on the HH rainfly, to wrap up the HH with its fly,
            then you have a SECOND ridgeline for the Mac Cat bigger fly? Or ???

            I googled for mac cat tarp and didn't come up with anything. Do you have a
            link?

            I do like the idea of keeping the rainfly out of the way if not needed.

            Becki in CA

          • rosaleen43@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , May 3 6:28 PM
              Becki-

              I can experiment with my HH Asym Backpacker and an Undercover and let you
              know if there seems to be much room left. If you are talking about the Silnylon,
              for now I'd think M-A-Y-B-E. If you are considering the pu coated Hex Fly,
              very likely not. that one is pretty bulky on its own.

              You will need the largest Snakeskins to accomodate the hammock AND Undecover.
              Could you call to order the 'skins and ask the Hennessy crew at the same
              time?

              Rosaleen

              Message 6 of 13 , May 4 4:15 AM
                The snakeskins that fit the Expedition can hold both the hammock, the
                undercover and the overcover although it's pretty tight and you have
                to make sure that you wind it tight before pulling the snakeskins down
                or else you have to start all over. So depending on what size
                snakeskins you have, even if they are smaller, you should be able to
                do both the hammock and the undercover without the overcover. But I'm
                not sure with the Hex Fly - you should contact Tom Hennessy - they are
                GREAT people to talk to.

                Jodi, who's testing the HH Supershelter

                --
                " Everyday I am faced with challenges and I accept those challenges,
                no matter how tough the reality of my life is. I can take it because I
                Message 7 of 13 , May 4 12:56 PM
                  The MacCat tarp is made by a guy named Brian MacMillin (hence the
                  name). He makes a special catenary cut tarp just for hammocking
                  that's very nice. I decided though to go with a "standard" 8x10
                  tarp that he also produces.....The website is

                  www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com

                  The prices are quite reasonable and the workmanship is outstanding.

                  John