Re: HH Questions

    Message 1 of 13 , May 2 6:23 AM
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "cubixcrayfish"
      <cubixcrayfish@y...> wrote:
      > *On the topic of tarps, I am having a huge problem getting the
      > rainfly set up correctly, can anyone offer any advice, it kept me
      dry
      > in pouring rain, but water pooled in parts, I had it as tensioned as
      > it could go, hmm

      The asym HH tarp I had would also pool water. The only solution I
      saw was to compromise ventilation some and pitch it with a sharp
      enough angle so that water would run off instead of collecting in
      troughs... I didn't like that arrangement.

      > 3. When setting up my HH, I can never seem to get it level, I read
      > somewhere about someone using a tiny level on the ridgeline, but I
      > don't want to do that, any ideas or tips

      That is tricky and there are basically three things to keep in mind.
      First, sloped ground can be tricky because the ground slope will
      often mess with your concept of what is level. Second, the relative
      length of the hammock support ropes effect how level the hammock is
      WHEN you are in the hammock. I try to keep the hammock support lines
      equal length and that is refered to as 'centering the hammock'. If
      they are unequal, the short end will be higher WHEN you are in the
      hammock by an amount that varies according to how unequal the lengths
      are... it gets complicated to get it the way you want it like that.
      The third thing is that your center of gravity is not the mid-point
      of your body and the hammock tries to slide your center of gravity to
      the mid-point of the hammock when the hammock is centered and level.
      If the hammock was properly centered and leveled, you would feel like
      you were sliding to the footend of the hammock... that is why it is
      prefered to raise the footend of the hammock relative to the headend
      of the hammock. This is also complicated when you lay on a diagonal
      as this tends to shift you center of gravity more towards the footend
      of the hammock. As you might expect, it is hard to repeatly set the
      hammock exactly 'just right'. My experience it is best to have the
      footend raised a little too much than not enough, I think the hammock
      is better behaved when the footend is raised too much than not
      enough... of course 'just right' is always best.

      Youngblood
    • LivNLrn3R@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , May 2 10:02 AM
        I'm new here, just nabbed a HH backpacker asym on eBay since it was such a
        good price, more out of curiousity and trying to get a more comfortable sleep
        than any long-planned and researched purchase.

        In the past I've tented with both a Cloudburst and a Brawny Tacoma-for-2...I
        like both tents a lot but I've been through several tries with various pad
        arrangements to stay both warm & a little comfie. My bag is a Marmot Hydrogen and
        I sleep with exped weight long johns, fleece socks, fleece hat, etc and STILL
        am cold. Pitiful, I know.

        Regarding the hex fly for more dry room under a hammock, can that still fit
        into the snakeskins when you roll everything up? I was already looking at the
        largest size snakeskin because of getting an undercover and underpad to stay
        warmer. Just curious how much bigger the hex fly is than the standard rainfly.

        Thanks,
        Becki in CA -- very open to a CA hammock hanger get-together!

      • Nazdarovye
        Message 3 of 13 , May 2 10:22 AM
          Becki - can't answer your question on the hex fly, but I own two
          Hennesys, a Cloudburst and a Brawny Tarptent (sounds like we've got a
          near-identical line-up)

          A CA hammock get-together would be great - there are a lot of us in the
          Bay Area in particular.

          - Steve (SF, moving to Tiburon later this month)

        • rosaleen43@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , May 2 12:19 PM
            Shane-

            Agreed with most of what you said-Howled with laughter at the dressing hints!

            As to the head/foot part- I actually prefer to have my feet a bit higher
            than my head, especially after a long day of hiking....

            Another tip on the "leveling" thing. If the Treehuggers are loosley wrapped,
            you should be able to slide them up or down a bit to adjust one end. Also,
            centering the hammock between supporting trees is helpful, here.

            Cheers!

            Rosaleen
            Practice, practice, practice.

            It doesn't have to be perfectly level. Most people like their head a little
            higher than their feet anyway.

            Shane

          • LivNLrn3R@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , May 3 11:11 AM
              Todd,

              I'm trying to picture what you describe, with the snakeskins.

              <<I put my HH "snakeskins" on the fly line, but with the ridgeline outsideĀ
              the
              snake skins. >>

              You have the snakeskins on the HH rainfly, to wrap up the HH with its fly,
              then you have a SECOND ridgeline for the Mac Cat bigger fly? Or ???

              I googled for mac cat tarp and didn't come up with anything. Do you have a
              link?

              I do like the idea of keeping the rainfly out of the way if not needed.

              Becki in CA

            • rosaleen43@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , May 3 6:28 PM
                Becki-

                I can experiment with my HH Asym Backpacker and an Undercover and let you
                know if there seems to be much room left. If you are talking about the Silnylon,
                for now I'd think M-A-Y-B-E. If you are considering the pu coated Hex Fly,
                very likely not. that one is pretty bulky on its own.

                You will need the largest Snakeskins to accomodate the hammock AND Undecover.
                Could you call to order the 'skins and ask the Hennessy crew at the same
                time?

                Rosaleen

                Message 7 of 13 , May 4 4:15 AM
                  The snakeskins that fit the Expedition can hold both the hammock, the
                  undercover and the overcover although it's pretty tight and you have
                  to make sure that you wind it tight before pulling the snakeskins down
                  or else you have to start all over. So depending on what size
                  snakeskins you have, even if they are smaller, you should be able to
                  do both the hammock and the undercover without the overcover. But I'm
                  not sure with the Hex Fly - you should contact Tom Hennessy - they are
                  GREAT people to talk to.

                  Jodi, who's testing the HH Supershelter

                  --
                  " Everyday I am faced with challenges and I accept those challenges,
                  no matter how tough the reality of my life is. I can take it because I
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 4 12:56 PM
                    The MacCat tarp is made by a guy named Brian MacMillin (hence the
                    name). He makes a special catenary cut tarp just for hammocking
                    that's very nice. I decided though to go with a "standard" 8x10
                    tarp that he also produces.....The website is

                    www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com

                    The prices are quite reasonable and the workmanship is outstanding.

                    John