Re: [Hammock Camping] HH Questions

  • Moz
    Message 1 of 13 , May 2, 2005
      Oh, and the hex fly fits into the standard HH bag instead of the
      smaller one, if you're using that.

      It wouldn't be hard to make a hex-style fly if you're into sewing at
      all, but I don't really have the gear, time or inclination. I just
      admire those who do. I do build bicycles instead though.

      Moz
      Message 2 of 13 , May 2, 2005
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "cubixcrayfish"
        <cubixcrayfish@y...> wrote:
        > *On the topic of tarps, I am having a huge problem getting the
        > rainfly set up correctly, can anyone offer any advice, it kept me
        dry
        > in pouring rain, but water pooled in parts, I had it as tensioned as
        > it could go, hmm

        The asym HH tarp I had would also pool water. The only solution I
        saw was to compromise ventilation some and pitch it with a sharp
        enough angle so that water would run off instead of collecting in
        troughs... I didn't like that arrangement.

        > 3. When setting up my HH, I can never seem to get it level, I read
        > somewhere about someone using a tiny level on the ridgeline, but I
        > don't want to do that, any ideas or tips

        That is tricky and there are basically three things to keep in mind.
        First, sloped ground can be tricky because the ground slope will
        often mess with your concept of what is level. Second, the relative
        length of the hammock support ropes effect how level the hammock is
        WHEN you are in the hammock. I try to keep the hammock support lines
        equal length and that is refered to as 'centering the hammock'. If
        they are unequal, the short end will be higher WHEN you are in the
        hammock by an amount that varies according to how unequal the lengths
        are... it gets complicated to get it the way you want it like that.
        The third thing is that your center of gravity is not the mid-point
        of your body and the hammock tries to slide your center of gravity to
        the mid-point of the hammock when the hammock is centered and level.
        If the hammock was properly centered and leveled, you would feel like
        you were sliding to the footend of the hammock... that is why it is
        prefered to raise the footend of the hammock relative to the headend
        of the hammock. This is also complicated when you lay on a diagonal
        as this tends to shift you center of gravity more towards the footend
        of the hammock. As you might expect, it is hard to repeatly set the
        hammock exactly 'just right'. My experience it is best to have the
        footend raised a little too much than not enough, I think the hammock
        is better behaved when the footend is raised too much than not
        enough... of course 'just right' is always best.

        Youngblood
      • LivNLrn3R@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , May 2, 2005
          I'm new here, just nabbed a HH backpacker asym on eBay since it was such a
          good price, more out of curiousity and trying to get a more comfortable sleep
          than any long-planned and researched purchase.

          In the past I've tented with both a Cloudburst and a Brawny Tacoma-for-2...I
          like both tents a lot but I've been through several tries with various pad
          arrangements to stay both warm & a little comfie. My bag is a Marmot Hydrogen and
          I sleep with exped weight long johns, fleece socks, fleece hat, etc and STILL
          am cold. Pitiful, I know.

          Regarding the hex fly for more dry room under a hammock, can that still fit
          into the snakeskins when you roll everything up? I was already looking at the
          largest size snakeskin because of getting an undercover and underpad to stay
          warmer. Just curious how much bigger the hex fly is than the standard rainfly.

          Thanks,
          Becki in CA -- very open to a CA hammock hanger get-together!

        • Nazdarovye
          Message 4 of 13 , May 2, 2005
            Becki - can't answer your question on the hex fly, but I own two
            Hennesys, a Cloudburst and a Brawny Tarptent (sounds like we've got a
            near-identical line-up)

            A CA hammock get-together would be great - there are a lot of us in the
            Bay Area in particular.

            - Steve (SF, moving to Tiburon later this month)

          • rosaleen43@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , May 2, 2005
              Shane-

              Agreed with most of what you said-Howled with laughter at the dressing hints!

              As to the head/foot part- I actually prefer to have my feet a bit higher
              than my head, especially after a long day of hiking....

              Another tip on the "leveling" thing. If the Treehuggers are loosley wrapped,
              you should be able to slide them up or down a bit to adjust one end. Also,
              centering the hammock between supporting trees is helpful, here.

              Cheers!

              Rosaleen
              Practice, practice, practice.

              It doesn't have to be perfectly level. Most people like their head a little
              higher than their feet anyway.

              Shane

            • LivNLrn3R@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , May 3, 2005
                Todd,

                I'm trying to picture what you describe, with the snakeskins.

                <<I put my HH "snakeskins" on the fly line, but with the ridgeline outsideĀ
                the
                snake skins. >>

                You have the snakeskins on the HH rainfly, to wrap up the HH with its fly,
                then you have a SECOND ridgeline for the Mac Cat bigger fly? Or ???

                I googled for mac cat tarp and didn't come up with anything. Do you have a
                link?

                I do like the idea of keeping the rainfly out of the way if not needed.

                Becki in CA

              • rosaleen43@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , May 3, 2005
                  Becki-

                  I can experiment with my HH Asym Backpacker and an Undercover and let you
                  know if there seems to be much room left. If you are talking about the Silnylon,
                  for now I'd think M-A-Y-B-E. If you are considering the pu coated Hex Fly,
                  very likely not. that one is pretty bulky on its own.

                  You will need the largest Snakeskins to accomodate the hammock AND Undecover.
                  Could you call to order the 'skins and ask the Hennessy crew at the same
                  time?

                  Rosaleen

                  Message 8 of 13 , May 4, 2005
                    The snakeskins that fit the Expedition can hold both the hammock, the
                    undercover and the overcover although it's pretty tight and you have
                    to make sure that you wind it tight before pulling the snakeskins down
                    or else you have to start all over. So depending on what size
                    snakeskins you have, even if they are smaller, you should be able to
                    do both the hammock and the undercover without the overcover. But I'm
                    not sure with the Hex Fly - you should contact Tom Hennessy - they are
                    GREAT people to talk to.

                    Jodi, who's testing the HH Supershelter

                    --
                    " Everyday I am faced with challenges and I accept those challenges,
                    no matter how tough the reality of my life is. I can take it because I
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 4, 2005
                      The MacCat tarp is made by a guy named Brian MacMillin (hence the
                      name). He makes a special catenary cut tarp just for hammocking
                      that's very nice. I decided though to go with a "standard" 8x10
                      tarp that he also produces.....The website is

                      www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com

                      The prices are quite reasonable and the workmanship is outstanding.

                      John