Re: [Hammock Camping] HH Questions

  • Moz
    Message 1 of 13 , May 2, 2005
      cubixcrayfish said:
      > 1.Privacy/Tarp Size- The HH standard fly does not offer a ton of
      > privacy espcially in a tight group setting, ... I am having a huge
      > problem getting the rainfly set up correctly, can anyone offer any
      > advice, it kept me dry in pouring rain, but water pooled in parts,

      I have an older HH, and recently bought the hex fly to go to Tasmania
      (rain forest) for a couple of weeks, for much the same reasons. The
      hex is bigger and has two extra tie down points (it's like a bigger
      diamond fly with the ground-side corners cut off). It worked really
      well. I still carried the original fly (we were travelling by car) and
      used that as just one more tarp - it worked well.

      We didn't have any really rough weather - peak wind was under 10m/s
      and there wasn't a huge amount of rain. That's what you get inside a
      rain forest ;-) But there was regular light rain and a few decent
      downpours, enough that I was glad to have the hex fly keeping the
      ground under the hammock dry (where all my gear was).

      Moz
    • Moz
      Message 2 of 13 , May 2, 2005
        Oh, and the hex fly fits into the standard HH bag instead of the
        smaller one, if you're using that.

        It wouldn't be hard to make a hex-style fly if you're into sewing at
        all, but I don't really have the gear, time or inclination. I just
        admire those who do. I do build bicycles instead though.

        Moz
        Message 3 of 13 , May 2, 2005
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "cubixcrayfish"
          <cubixcrayfish@y...> wrote:
          > *On the topic of tarps, I am having a huge problem getting the
          > rainfly set up correctly, can anyone offer any advice, it kept me
          dry
          > in pouring rain, but water pooled in parts, I had it as tensioned as
          > it could go, hmm

          The asym HH tarp I had would also pool water. The only solution I
          saw was to compromise ventilation some and pitch it with a sharp
          enough angle so that water would run off instead of collecting in
          troughs... I didn't like that arrangement.

          > 3. When setting up my HH, I can never seem to get it level, I read
          > somewhere about someone using a tiny level on the ridgeline, but I
          > don't want to do that, any ideas or tips

          That is tricky and there are basically three things to keep in mind.
          First, sloped ground can be tricky because the ground slope will
          often mess with your concept of what is level. Second, the relative
          length of the hammock support ropes effect how level the hammock is
          WHEN you are in the hammock. I try to keep the hammock support lines
          equal length and that is refered to as 'centering the hammock'. If
          they are unequal, the short end will be higher WHEN you are in the
          hammock by an amount that varies according to how unequal the lengths
          are... it gets complicated to get it the way you want it like that.
          The third thing is that your center of gravity is not the mid-point
          of your body and the hammock tries to slide your center of gravity to
          the mid-point of the hammock when the hammock is centered and level.
          If the hammock was properly centered and leveled, you would feel like
          you were sliding to the footend of the hammock... that is why it is
          prefered to raise the footend of the hammock relative to the headend
          of the hammock. This is also complicated when you lay on a diagonal
          as this tends to shift you center of gravity more towards the footend
          of the hammock. As you might expect, it is hard to repeatly set the
          hammock exactly 'just right'. My experience it is best to have the
          footend raised a little too much than not enough, I think the hammock
          is better behaved when the footend is raised too much than not
          enough... of course 'just right' is always best.

          Youngblood
        • LivNLrn3R@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , May 2, 2005
            I'm new here, just nabbed a HH backpacker asym on eBay since it was such a
            good price, more out of curiousity and trying to get a more comfortable sleep
            than any long-planned and researched purchase.

            In the past I've tented with both a Cloudburst and a Brawny Tacoma-for-2...I
            like both tents a lot but I've been through several tries with various pad
            arrangements to stay both warm & a little comfie. My bag is a Marmot Hydrogen and
            I sleep with exped weight long johns, fleece socks, fleece hat, etc and STILL
            am cold. Pitiful, I know.

            Regarding the hex fly for more dry room under a hammock, can that still fit
            into the snakeskins when you roll everything up? I was already looking at the
            largest size snakeskin because of getting an undercover and underpad to stay
            warmer. Just curious how much bigger the hex fly is than the standard rainfly.

            Thanks,
            Becki in CA -- very open to a CA hammock hanger get-together!

          • Nazdarovye
            Message 5 of 13 , May 2, 2005
              Becki - can't answer your question on the hex fly, but I own two
              Hennesys, a Cloudburst and a Brawny Tarptent (sounds like we've got a
              near-identical line-up)

              A CA hammock get-together would be great - there are a lot of us in the
              Bay Area in particular.

              - Steve (SF, moving to Tiburon later this month)

            • rosaleen43@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , May 2, 2005
                Shane-

                Agreed with most of what you said-Howled with laughter at the dressing hints!

                As to the head/foot part- I actually prefer to have my feet a bit higher
                than my head, especially after a long day of hiking....

                Another tip on the "leveling" thing. If the Treehuggers are loosley wrapped,
                you should be able to slide them up or down a bit to adjust one end. Also,
                centering the hammock between supporting trees is helpful, here.

                Cheers!

                Rosaleen
                Practice, practice, practice.

                It doesn't have to be perfectly level. Most people like their head a little
                higher than their feet anyway.

                Shane

              • LivNLrn3R@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , May 3, 2005
                  Todd,

                  I'm trying to picture what you describe, with the snakeskins.

                  <<I put my HH "snakeskins" on the fly line, but with the ridgeline outsideĀ
                  the
                  snake skins. >>

                  You have the snakeskins on the HH rainfly, to wrap up the HH with its fly,
                  then you have a SECOND ridgeline for the Mac Cat bigger fly? Or ???

                  I googled for mac cat tarp and didn't come up with anything. Do you have a
                  link?

                  I do like the idea of keeping the rainfly out of the way if not needed.

                  Becki in CA

                • rosaleen43@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 3, 2005
                    Becki-

                    I can experiment with my HH Asym Backpacker and an Undercover and let you
                    know if there seems to be much room left. If you are talking about the Silnylon,
                    for now I'd think M-A-Y-B-E. If you are considering the pu coated Hex Fly,
                    very likely not. that one is pretty bulky on its own.

                    You will need the largest Snakeskins to accomodate the hammock AND Undecover.
                    Could you call to order the 'skins and ask the Hennessy crew at the same
                    time?

                    Rosaleen

                    Message 9 of 13 , May 4, 2005
                      The snakeskins that fit the Expedition can hold both the hammock, the
                      undercover and the overcover although it's pretty tight and you have
                      to make sure that you wind it tight before pulling the snakeskins down
                      or else you have to start all over. So depending on what size
                      snakeskins you have, even if they are smaller, you should be able to
                      do both the hammock and the undercover without the overcover. But I'm
                      not sure with the Hex Fly - you should contact Tom Hennessy - they are
                      GREAT people to talk to.

                      Jodi, who's testing the HH Supershelter

                      --
                      " Everyday I am faced with challenges and I accept those challenges,
                      no matter how tough the reality of my life is. I can take it because I
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 4, 2005
                        The MacCat tarp is made by a guy named Brian MacMillin (hence the
                        name). He makes a special catenary cut tarp just for hammocking
                        that's very nice. I decided though to go with a "standard" 8x10
                        tarp that he also produces.....The website is

                        www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com

                        The prices are quite reasonable and the workmanship is outstanding.

                        John