Re: [Hammock Camping] HH Questions

  • Douglas Kitchen
    Message 1 of 13 , May 2, 2005
      I just was out for a very wet weekend, in concern I purchased an Equinox 8' x10' silnylon tarp. What a huge difference form the standard HH Ultra light tarp. We had very heavy winds, and I was able to stake out the sides of the new tarp with all the extra grommets on the Equinox. I think there were 5 on each side. It was unflappable and gave me a ton more room on the inside. I also put the tarp on its own line, to avoid the sagging caused by getting in my HH. That worked great as well.
      I am going to be using my hammock for 30 days straight this summer,
      and have a few questions,

      1.Privacy/Tarp Size- The HH standard fly does not offer a ton of
      privacy espcially in a tight group setting, which is how it will be
      this summer, does anyone have any advice. I was thinking of getting a
      MacCat tarp, anyone have any experinc with those, they look really
      nice, I think a standard would be great
      *On the topic of tarps, I am having a huge problem getting the
      rainfly set up correctly, can anyone offer any advice, it kept me dry
      in pouring rain, but water pooled in parts, I had it as tensioned as
      it could go, hmm

    • Moz
      Message 2 of 13 , May 2, 2005
        cubixcrayfish said:
        > 1.Privacy/Tarp Size- The HH standard fly does not offer a ton of
        > privacy espcially in a tight group setting, ... I am having a huge
        > problem getting the rainfly set up correctly, can anyone offer any
        > advice, it kept me dry in pouring rain, but water pooled in parts,

        I have an older HH, and recently bought the hex fly to go to Tasmania
        (rain forest) for a couple of weeks, for much the same reasons. The
        hex is bigger and has two extra tie down points (it's like a bigger
        diamond fly with the ground-side corners cut off). It worked really
        well. I still carried the original fly (we were travelling by car) and
        used that as just one more tarp - it worked well.

        We didn't have any really rough weather - peak wind was under 10m/s
        and there wasn't a huge amount of rain. That's what you get inside a
        rain forest ;-) But there was regular light rain and a few decent
        downpours, enough that I was glad to have the hex fly keeping the
        ground under the hammock dry (where all my gear was).

        Moz
      • Moz
        Message 3 of 13 , May 2, 2005
          Oh, and the hex fly fits into the standard HH bag instead of the
          smaller one, if you're using that.

          It wouldn't be hard to make a hex-style fly if you're into sewing at
          all, but I don't really have the gear, time or inclination. I just
          admire those who do. I do build bicycles instead though.

          Moz
          Message 4 of 13 , May 2, 2005
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "cubixcrayfish"
            <cubixcrayfish@y...> wrote:
            > *On the topic of tarps, I am having a huge problem getting the
            > rainfly set up correctly, can anyone offer any advice, it kept me
            dry
            > in pouring rain, but water pooled in parts, I had it as tensioned as
            > it could go, hmm

            The asym HH tarp I had would also pool water. The only solution I
            saw was to compromise ventilation some and pitch it with a sharp
            enough angle so that water would run off instead of collecting in
            troughs... I didn't like that arrangement.

            > 3. When setting up my HH, I can never seem to get it level, I read
            > somewhere about someone using a tiny level on the ridgeline, but I
            > don't want to do that, any ideas or tips

            That is tricky and there are basically three things to keep in mind.
            First, sloped ground can be tricky because the ground slope will
            often mess with your concept of what is level. Second, the relative
            length of the hammock support ropes effect how level the hammock is
            WHEN you are in the hammock. I try to keep the hammock support lines
            equal length and that is refered to as 'centering the hammock'. If
            they are unequal, the short end will be higher WHEN you are in the
            hammock by an amount that varies according to how unequal the lengths
            are... it gets complicated to get it the way you want it like that.
            The third thing is that your center of gravity is not the mid-point
            of your body and the hammock tries to slide your center of gravity to
            the mid-point of the hammock when the hammock is centered and level.
            If the hammock was properly centered and leveled, you would feel like
            you were sliding to the footend of the hammock... that is why it is
            prefered to raise the footend of the hammock relative to the headend
            of the hammock. This is also complicated when you lay on a diagonal
            as this tends to shift you center of gravity more towards the footend
            of the hammock. As you might expect, it is hard to repeatly set the
            hammock exactly 'just right'. My experience it is best to have the
            footend raised a little too much than not enough, I think the hammock
            is better behaved when the footend is raised too much than not
            enough... of course 'just right' is always best.

            Youngblood
          • LivNLrn3R@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , May 2, 2005
              I'm new here, just nabbed a HH backpacker asym on eBay since it was such a
              good price, more out of curiousity and trying to get a more comfortable sleep
              than any long-planned and researched purchase.

              In the past I've tented with both a Cloudburst and a Brawny Tacoma-for-2...I
              like both tents a lot but I've been through several tries with various pad
              arrangements to stay both warm & a little comfie. My bag is a Marmot Hydrogen and
              I sleep with exped weight long johns, fleece socks, fleece hat, etc and STILL
              am cold. Pitiful, I know.

              Regarding the hex fly for more dry room under a hammock, can that still fit
              into the snakeskins when you roll everything up? I was already looking at the
              largest size snakeskin because of getting an undercover and underpad to stay
              warmer. Just curious how much bigger the hex fly is than the standard rainfly.

              Thanks,
              Becki in CA -- very open to a CA hammock hanger get-together!

            • Nazdarovye
              Message 6 of 13 , May 2, 2005
                Becki - can't answer your question on the hex fly, but I own two
                Hennesys, a Cloudburst and a Brawny Tarptent (sounds like we've got a
                near-identical line-up)

                A CA hammock get-together would be great - there are a lot of us in the
                Bay Area in particular.

                - Steve (SF, moving to Tiburon later this month)

              • rosaleen43@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , May 2, 2005
                  Shane-

                  Agreed with most of what you said-Howled with laughter at the dressing hints!

                  As to the head/foot part- I actually prefer to have my feet a bit higher
                  than my head, especially after a long day of hiking....

                  Another tip on the "leveling" thing. If the Treehuggers are loosley wrapped,
                  you should be able to slide them up or down a bit to adjust one end. Also,
                  centering the hammock between supporting trees is helpful, here.

                  Cheers!

                  Rosaleen
                  Practice, practice, practice.

                  It doesn't have to be perfectly level. Most people like their head a little
                  higher than their feet anyway.

                  Shane

                • LivNLrn3R@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 3, 2005
                    Todd,

                    I'm trying to picture what you describe, with the snakeskins.

                    <<I put my HH "snakeskins" on the fly line, but with the ridgeline outsideĀ
                    the
                    snake skins. >>

                    You have the snakeskins on the HH rainfly, to wrap up the HH with its fly,
                    then you have a SECOND ridgeline for the Mac Cat bigger fly? Or ???

                    I googled for mac cat tarp and didn't come up with anything. Do you have a
                    link?

                    I do like the idea of keeping the rainfly out of the way if not needed.

                    Becki in CA

                  • rosaleen43@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 3, 2005
                      Becki-

                      I can experiment with my HH Asym Backpacker and an Undercover and let you
                      know if there seems to be much room left. If you are talking about the Silnylon,
                      for now I'd think M-A-Y-B-E. If you are considering the pu coated Hex Fly,
                      very likely not. that one is pretty bulky on its own.

                      You will need the largest Snakeskins to accomodate the hammock AND Undecover.
                      Could you call to order the 'skins and ask the Hennessy crew at the same
                      time?

                      Rosaleen

                      Message 10 of 13 , May 4, 2005
                        The snakeskins that fit the Expedition can hold both the hammock, the
                        undercover and the overcover although it's pretty tight and you have
                        to make sure that you wind it tight before pulling the snakeskins down
                        or else you have to start all over. So depending on what size
                        snakeskins you have, even if they are smaller, you should be able to
                        do both the hammock and the undercover without the overcover. But I'm
                        not sure with the Hex Fly - you should contact Tom Hennessy - they are
                        GREAT people to talk to.

                        Jodi, who's testing the HH Supershelter

                        --
                        " Everyday I am faced with challenges and I accept those challenges,
                        no matter how tough the reality of my life is. I can take it because I
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 4, 2005
                          The MacCat tarp is made by a guy named Brian MacMillin (hence the
                          name). He makes a special catenary cut tarp just for hammocking
                          that's very nice. I decided though to go with a "standard" 8x10
                          tarp that he also produces.....The website is

                          www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com

                          The prices are quite reasonable and the workmanship is outstanding.

                          John