RE: [Hammock Camping] HH Questions

  • Shane Steinkamp
    Message 1 of 13 , May 1 6:59 PM
      > 1.Privacy/Tarp Size- The HH standard fly does not offer a ton of
      > privacy espcially in a tight group setting, which is how it will
      > be this summer, does anyone have any advice.

      This question of privacy comes up from time to time. Here's the standard
      response: First, you're in the middle of nowhere. Second, everybody knows
      what you've got. Just stand up and change your clothes.

      Like Marsanne said, "Nobody is looking at your titties in the woods, and if
      they are at your age, tell them, "Thank You!""

      If you are in a known group, you can always holler, "I'm takin' my pants
      down, and if ya'll don't want to be jealous, turn away."

      If you are in an unknown group, or maybe in the Scouts or something, then
      change your clothes where the latrine is. There must be some kind of
      privacy for that which isn't inside a small tent...

      Having said all that, I find that privacy in hammocks is better than in
      tents and regular tarps. Changing clothes while rolling around in a hammock
      is no harder than changing clothes while rolling around in a tent, and it's
      easier on the bones. In reality, though, it isn't necessary to roll around
      in the hammock to change clothes. It is better to stand inside the entrance
      slit of a HH, and enjoy a private dressing room. People can see my legs,
      and if they are very close they may be able to see through the bug netting,
      but for the most part there is total privacy.

      A user of any height can stand upright under the tarp (and inside the
      entrance slit on a HH). This isn't a tent with a fixed height. You can hang
      the hammock as high or as low as needed. Following the commonly recommended
      'chair height' would accommodate any user from about 4' 6" (1.37 m) to about
      6' 8" (2.03) - well within the range of a vast majority of the population.
      (As noted, I prefer to hang mine higher.) Persons beyond that range would
      have to adjust the height of the hammock accordingly.

      If the hammock is rockin', don't come a knockin'...

      > *On the topic of tarps, I am having a huge problem getting
      > the rainfly set up correctly, can anyone offer any advice, it
      > kept me dry in pouring rain, but water pooled in parts, I had it
      > as tensioned as it could go, hmm

      What model do you have?

      > 2.Storage, I looked at the plans for the smaller hammock, I have
      > a nylon parchute material hammock, Maybe I could rig it up under
      > there, I will take my hammock out in the backyard and play with
      > it more

      Bring two or three drum liners. Lay one on the ground. Put everything else
      inside one, and set it on the first one.

      > 3. When setting up my HH, I can never seem to get it level, I
      > read somewhere about someone using a tiny level on the ridgeline,
      > but I don't want to do that, any ideas or tips

      Practice, practice, practice.

      It doesn't have to be perfectly level. Most people like their head a little
      higher than their feet anyway.

      Shane
    • Douglas Kitchen
      Message 2 of 13 , May 2 4:18 AM
        I just was out for a very wet weekend, in concern I purchased an Equinox 8' x10' silnylon tarp. What a huge difference form the standard HH Ultra light tarp. We had very heavy winds, and I was able to stake out the sides of the new tarp with all the extra grommets on the Equinox. I think there were 5 on each side. It was unflappable and gave me a ton more room on the inside. I also put the tarp on its own line, to avoid the sagging caused by getting in my HH. That worked great as well.
        I am going to be using my hammock for 30 days straight this summer,
        and have a few questions,

        1.Privacy/Tarp Size- The HH standard fly does not offer a ton of
        privacy espcially in a tight group setting, which is how it will be
        this summer, does anyone have any advice. I was thinking of getting a
        MacCat tarp, anyone have any experinc with those, they look really
        nice, I think a standard would be great
        *On the topic of tarps, I am having a huge problem getting the
        rainfly set up correctly, can anyone offer any advice, it kept me dry
        in pouring rain, but water pooled in parts, I had it as tensioned as
        it could go, hmm

      • Moz
        Message 3 of 13 , May 2 5:43 AM
          cubixcrayfish said:
          > 1.Privacy/Tarp Size- The HH standard fly does not offer a ton of
          > privacy espcially in a tight group setting, ... I am having a huge
          > problem getting the rainfly set up correctly, can anyone offer any
          > advice, it kept me dry in pouring rain, but water pooled in parts,

          I have an older HH, and recently bought the hex fly to go to Tasmania
          (rain forest) for a couple of weeks, for much the same reasons. The
          hex is bigger and has two extra tie down points (it's like a bigger
          diamond fly with the ground-side corners cut off). It worked really
          well. I still carried the original fly (we were travelling by car) and
          used that as just one more tarp - it worked well.

          We didn't have any really rough weather - peak wind was under 10m/s
          and there wasn't a huge amount of rain. That's what you get inside a
          rain forest ;-) But there was regular light rain and a few decent
          downpours, enough that I was glad to have the hex fly keeping the
          ground under the hammock dry (where all my gear was).

          Moz
        • Moz
          Message 4 of 13 , May 2 5:46 AM
            Oh, and the hex fly fits into the standard HH bag instead of the
            smaller one, if you're using that.

            It wouldn't be hard to make a hex-style fly if you're into sewing at
            all, but I don't really have the gear, time or inclination. I just
            admire those who do. I do build bicycles instead though.

            Moz
            Message 5 of 13 , May 2 6:23 AM
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "cubixcrayfish"
              <cubixcrayfish@y...> wrote:
              > *On the topic of tarps, I am having a huge problem getting the
              > rainfly set up correctly, can anyone offer any advice, it kept me
              dry
              > in pouring rain, but water pooled in parts, I had it as tensioned as
              > it could go, hmm

              The asym HH tarp I had would also pool water. The only solution I
              saw was to compromise ventilation some and pitch it with a sharp
              enough angle so that water would run off instead of collecting in
              troughs... I didn't like that arrangement.

              > 3. When setting up my HH, I can never seem to get it level, I read
              > somewhere about someone using a tiny level on the ridgeline, but I
              > don't want to do that, any ideas or tips

              That is tricky and there are basically three things to keep in mind.
              First, sloped ground can be tricky because the ground slope will
              often mess with your concept of what is level. Second, the relative
              length of the hammock support ropes effect how level the hammock is
              WHEN you are in the hammock. I try to keep the hammock support lines
              equal length and that is refered to as 'centering the hammock'. If
              they are unequal, the short end will be higher WHEN you are in the
              hammock by an amount that varies according to how unequal the lengths
              are... it gets complicated to get it the way you want it like that.
              The third thing is that your center of gravity is not the mid-point
              of your body and the hammock tries to slide your center of gravity to
              the mid-point of the hammock when the hammock is centered and level.
              If the hammock was properly centered and leveled, you would feel like
              you were sliding to the footend of the hammock... that is why it is
              prefered to raise the footend of the hammock relative to the headend
              of the hammock. This is also complicated when you lay on a diagonal
              as this tends to shift you center of gravity more towards the footend
              of the hammock. As you might expect, it is hard to repeatly set the
              hammock exactly 'just right'. My experience it is best to have the
              footend raised a little too much than not enough, I think the hammock
              is better behaved when the footend is raised too much than not
              enough... of course 'just right' is always best.

              Youngblood
            • LivNLrn3R@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , May 2 10:02 AM
                I'm new here, just nabbed a HH backpacker asym on eBay since it was such a
                good price, more out of curiousity and trying to get a more comfortable sleep
                than any long-planned and researched purchase.

                In the past I've tented with both a Cloudburst and a Brawny Tacoma-for-2...I
                like both tents a lot but I've been through several tries with various pad
                arrangements to stay both warm & a little comfie. My bag is a Marmot Hydrogen and
                I sleep with exped weight long johns, fleece socks, fleece hat, etc and STILL
                am cold. Pitiful, I know.

                Regarding the hex fly for more dry room under a hammock, can that still fit
                into the snakeskins when you roll everything up? I was already looking at the
                largest size snakeskin because of getting an undercover and underpad to stay
                warmer. Just curious how much bigger the hex fly is than the standard rainfly.

                Thanks,
                Becki in CA -- very open to a CA hammock hanger get-together!

              • Nazdarovye
                Message 7 of 13 , May 2 10:22 AM
                  Becki - can't answer your question on the hex fly, but I own two
                  Hennesys, a Cloudburst and a Brawny Tarptent (sounds like we've got a
                  near-identical line-up)

                  A CA hammock get-together would be great - there are a lot of us in the
                  Bay Area in particular.

                  - Steve (SF, moving to Tiburon later this month)

                • rosaleen43@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 2 12:19 PM
                    Shane-

                    Agreed with most of what you said-Howled with laughter at the dressing hints!

                    As to the head/foot part- I actually prefer to have my feet a bit higher
                    than my head, especially after a long day of hiking....

                    Another tip on the "leveling" thing. If the Treehuggers are loosley wrapped,
                    you should be able to slide them up or down a bit to adjust one end. Also,
                    centering the hammock between supporting trees is helpful, here.

                    Cheers!

                    Rosaleen

                    Message 9 of 13 , May 3 11:11 AM
                      Todd,

                      I'm trying to picture what you describe, with the snakeskins.

                      <<I put my HH "snakeskins" on the fly line, but with the ridgeline outsideĀ
                      the
                      snake skins. >>

                      You have the snakeskins on the HH rainfly, to wrap up the HH with its fly,
                      then you have a SECOND ridgeline for the Mac Cat bigger fly? Or ???

                      I googled for mac cat tarp and didn't come up with anything. Do you have a
                      link?

                      I do like the idea of keeping the rainfly out of the way if not needed.

                      Becki in CA

                    • rosaleen43@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 3 6:28 PM
                        Becki-

                        I can experiment with my HH Asym Backpacker and an Undercover and let you
                        know if there seems to be much room left. If you are talking about the Silnylon,
                        for now I'd think M-A-Y-B-E. If you are considering the pu coated Hex Fly,
                        very likely not. that one is pretty bulky on its own.

                        You will need the largest Snakeskins to accomodate the hammock AND Undecover.
                        Could you call to order the 'skins and ask the Hennessy crew at the same
                        time?

                        Rosaleen

                        Message 11 of 13 , May 4 4:15 AM
                          The snakeskins that fit the Expedition can hold both the hammock, the
                          undercover and the overcover although it's pretty tight and you have
                          to make sure that you wind it tight before pulling the snakeskins down
                          or else you have to start all over. So depending on what size
                          snakeskins you have, even if they are smaller, you should be able to
                          do both the hammock and the undercover without the overcover. But I'm
                          not sure with the Hex Fly - you should contact Tom Hennessy - they are
                          GREAT people to talk to.

                          Jodi, who's testing the HH Supershelter

                          --
                          " Everyday I am faced with challenges and I accept those challenges,
                          no matter how tough the reality of my life is. I can take it because I
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 4 12:56 PM
                            The MacCat tarp is made by a guy named Brian MacMillin (hence the
                            name). He makes a special catenary cut tarp just for hammocking
                            that's very nice. I decided though to go with a "standard" 8x10
                            tarp that he also produces.....The website is

                            www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com

                            The prices are quite reasonable and the workmanship is outstanding.

                            John