HH Questions

  • cubixcrayfish
    Message 1 of 13 , May 1, 2005
      I am going to be using my hammock for 30 days straight this summer,
      and have a few questions,

      1.Privacy/Tarp Size- The HH standard fly does not offer a ton of
      privacy espcially in a tight group setting, which is how it will be
      this summer, does anyone have any advice. I was thinking of getting a
      MacCat tarp, anyone have any experinc with those, they look really
      nice, I think a standard would be great
      *On the topic of tarps, I am having a huge problem getting the
      rainfly set up correctly, can anyone offer any advice, it kept me dry
      in pouring rain, but water pooled in parts, I had it as tensioned as
      it could go, hmm

      2.Storage, I looked at the plans for the smaller hammock, I have a
      nylon parchute material hammock, Maybe I could rig it up under there,
      I will take my hammock out in the backyard and play with it more

      3. When setting up my HH, I can never seem to get it level, I read
      somewhere about someone using a tiny level on the ridgeline, but I
      don't want to do that, any ideas or tips

      Greg
    • Shane Steinkamp
      Message 2 of 13 , May 1, 2005
        > 1.Privacy/Tarp Size- The HH standard fly does not offer a ton of
        > privacy espcially in a tight group setting, which is how it will
        > be this summer, does anyone have any advice.

        This question of privacy comes up from time to time. Here's the standard
        response: First, you're in the middle of nowhere. Second, everybody knows
        what you've got. Just stand up and change your clothes.

        Like Marsanne said, "Nobody is looking at your titties in the woods, and if
        they are at your age, tell them, "Thank You!""

        If you are in a known group, you can always holler, "I'm takin' my pants
        down, and if ya'll don't want to be jealous, turn away."

        If you are in an unknown group, or maybe in the Scouts or something, then
        change your clothes where the latrine is. There must be some kind of
        privacy for that which isn't inside a small tent...

        Having said all that, I find that privacy in hammocks is better than in
        tents and regular tarps. Changing clothes while rolling around in a hammock
        is no harder than changing clothes while rolling around in a tent, and it's
        easier on the bones. In reality, though, it isn't necessary to roll around
        in the hammock to change clothes. It is better to stand inside the entrance
        slit of a HH, and enjoy a private dressing room. People can see my legs,
        and if they are very close they may be able to see through the bug netting,
        but for the most part there is total privacy.

        A user of any height can stand upright under the tarp (and inside the
        entrance slit on a HH). This isn't a tent with a fixed height. You can hang
        the hammock as high or as low as needed. Following the commonly recommended
        'chair height' would accommodate any user from about 4' 6" (1.37 m) to about
        6' 8" (2.03) - well within the range of a vast majority of the population.
        (As noted, I prefer to hang mine higher.) Persons beyond that range would
        have to adjust the height of the hammock accordingly.

        If the hammock is rockin', don't come a knockin'...

        > *On the topic of tarps, I am having a huge problem getting
        > the rainfly set up correctly, can anyone offer any advice, it
        > kept me dry in pouring rain, but water pooled in parts, I had it
        > as tensioned as it could go, hmm

        What model do you have?

        > 2.Storage, I looked at the plans for the smaller hammock, I have
        > a nylon parchute material hammock, Maybe I could rig it up under
        > there, I will take my hammock out in the backyard and play with
        > it more

        Bring two or three drum liners. Lay one on the ground. Put everything else
        inside one, and set it on the first one.

        > 3. When setting up my HH, I can never seem to get it level, I
        > read somewhere about someone using a tiny level on the ridgeline,
        > but I don't want to do that, any ideas or tips

        Practice, practice, practice.

        It doesn't have to be perfectly level. Most people like their head a little
        higher than their feet anyway.

        Shane
      • Douglas Kitchen

          Message 4 of 13 , May 2, 2005
            cubixcrayfish said:
            > 1.Privacy/Tarp Size- The HH standard fly does not offer a ton of
            > privacy espcially in a tight group setting, ... I am having a huge
            > problem getting the rainfly set up correctly, can anyone offer any
            > advice, it kept me dry in pouring rain, but water pooled in parts,

            I have an older HH, and recently bought the hex fly to go to Tasmania
            (rain forest) for a couple of weeks, for much the same reasons. The
            hex is bigger and has two extra tie down points (it's like a bigger
            diamond fly with the ground-side corners cut off). It worked really
            well. I still carried the original fly (we were travelling by car) and
            used that as just one more tarp - it worked well.

            We didn't have any really rough weather - peak wind was under 10m/s
            and there wasn't a huge amount of rain. That's what you get inside a
            rain forest ;-) But there was regular light rain and a few decent
            downpours, enough that I was glad to have the hex fly keeping the
            ground under the hammock dry (where all my gear was).

            Moz
          • Moz
            Message 5 of 13 , May 2, 2005
              Oh, and the hex fly fits into the standard HH bag instead of the
              smaller one, if you're using that.

              It wouldn't be hard to make a hex-style fly if you're into sewing at
              all, but I don't really have the gear, time or inclination. I just
              admire those who do. I do build bicycles instead though.

              Moz
              Message 6 of 13 , May 2, 2005
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "cubixcrayfish"
                <cubixcrayfish@y...> wrote:
                > *On the topic of tarps, I am having a huge problem getting the
                > rainfly set up correctly, can anyone offer any advice, it kept me
                dry
                > in pouring rain, but water pooled in parts, I had it as tensioned as
                > it could go, hmm

                The asym HH tarp I had would also pool water. The only solution I
                saw was to compromise ventilation some and pitch it with a sharp
                enough angle so that water would run off instead of collecting in
                troughs... I didn't like that arrangement.

                > 3. When setting up my HH, I can never seem to get it level, I read
                > somewhere about someone using a tiny level on the ridgeline, but I
                > don't want to do that, any ideas or tips

                That is tricky and there are basically three things to keep in mind.
                First, sloped ground can be tricky because the ground slope will
                often mess with your concept of what is level. Second, the relative
                length of the hammock support ropes effect how level the hammock is
                WHEN you are in the hammock. I try to keep the hammock support lines
                equal length and that is refered to as 'centering the hammock'. If
                they are unequal, the short end will be higher WHEN you are in the
                hammock by an amount that varies according to how unequal the lengths
                are... it gets complicated to get it the way you want it like that.
                The third thing is that your center of gravity is not the mid-point
                of your body and the hammock tries to slide your center of gravity to
                the mid-point of the hammock when the hammock is centered and level.
                If the hammock was properly centered and leveled, you would feel like
                you were sliding to the footend of the hammock... that is why it is
                prefered to raise the footend of the hammock relative to the headend
                of the hammock. This is also complicated when you lay on a diagonal
                as this tends to shift you center of gravity more towards the footend
                of the hammock. As you might expect, it is hard to repeatly set the
                hammock exactly 'just right'. My experience it is best to have the
                footend raised a little too much than not enough, I think the hammock
                is better behaved when the footend is raised too much than not
                enough... of course 'just right' is always best.

                Youngblood
              • LivNLrn3R@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , May 2, 2005
                  I'm new here, just nabbed a HH backpacker asym on eBay since it was such a
                  good price, more out of curiousity and trying to get a more comfortable sleep
                  than any long-planned and researched purchase.

                  In the past I've tented with both a Cloudburst and a Brawny Tacoma-for-2...I
                  like both tents a lot but I've been through several tries with various pad
                  arrangements to stay both warm & a little comfie. My bag is a Marmot Hydrogen and
                  I sleep with exped weight long johns, fleece socks, fleece hat, etc and STILL
                  am cold. Pitiful, I know.

                  Regarding the hex fly for more dry room under a hammock, can that still fit
                  into the snakeskins when you roll everything up? I was already looking at the
                  largest size snakeskin because of getting an undercover and underpad to stay
                  warmer. Just curious how much bigger the hex fly is than the standard rainfly.

                  Thanks,
                  Becki in CA -- very open to a CA hammock hanger get-together!

                • Nazdarovye
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 2, 2005
                    Becki - can't answer your question on the hex fly, but I own two
                    Hennesys, a Cloudburst and a Brawny Tarptent (sounds like we've got a
                    near-identical line-up)

                    A CA hammock get-together would be great - there are a lot of us in the
                    Bay Area in particular.

                    - Steve (SF, moving to Tiburon later this month)

                  • rosaleen43@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 2, 2005
                      Shane-

                      Agreed with most of what you said-Howled with laughter at the dressing hints!

                      As to the head/foot part- I actually prefer to have my feet a bit higher
                      than my head, especially after a long day of hiking....

                      Another tip on the "leveling" thing. If the Treehuggers are loosley wrapped,
                      you should be able to slide them up or down a bit to adjust one end. Also,
                      centering the hammock between supporting trees is helpful, here.

                      Cheers!

                      Rosaleen

                      Message 10 of 13 , May 3, 2005
                        Todd,

                        I'm trying to picture what you describe, with the snakeskins.

                        <<I put my HH "snakeskins" on the fly line, but with the ridgeline outsideĀ
                        the
                        snake skins. >>

                        You have the snakeskins on the HH rainfly, to wrap up the HH with its fly,
                        then you have a SECOND ridgeline for the Mac Cat bigger fly? Or ???

                        I googled for mac cat tarp and didn't come up with anything. Do you have a
                        link?

                        I do like the idea of keeping the rainfly out of the way if not needed.

                        Becki in CA

                      • rosaleen43@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 3, 2005
                          Becki-

                          I can experiment with my HH Asym Backpacker and an Undercover and let you
                          know if there seems to be much room left. If you are talking about the Silnylon,
                          for now I'd think M-A-Y-B-E. If you are considering the pu coated Hex Fly,
                          very likely not. that one is pretty bulky on its own.

                          You will need the largest Snakeskins to accomodate the hammock AND Undecover.
                          Could you call to order the 'skins and ask the Hennessy crew at the same
                          time?

                          Rosaleen

                          Message 12 of 13 , May 4, 2005
                            The snakeskins that fit the Expedition can hold both the hammock, the
                            undercover and the overcover although it's pretty tight and you have
                            to make sure that you wind it tight before pulling the snakeskins down
                            or else you have to start all over. So depending on what size
                            snakeskins you have, even if they are smaller, you should be able to
                            do both the hammock and the undercover without the overcover. But I'm
                            not sure with the Hex Fly - you should contact Tom Hennessy - they are
                            GREAT people to talk to.

                            Jodi, who's testing the HH Supershelter

                            --
                            " Everyday I am faced with challenges and I accept those challenges,
                            no matter how tough the reality of my life is. I can take it because I
                            Message 13 of 13 , May 4, 2005
                              The MacCat tarp is made by a guy named Brian MacMillin (hence the
                              name). He makes a special catenary cut tarp just for hammocking
                              that's very nice. I decided though to go with a "standard" 8x10
                              tarp that he also produces.....The website is

                              www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com

                              The prices are quite reasonable and the workmanship is outstanding.

                              John