May 2005 Issue of Hammock Camping News

    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2005
      The May issue of my Hammock Camping News has just been posed for
      free viewing at:

      http://www.hammockcamping.com/Newsletters/NEWS.htm

      Excerpts from the 1979 book Backwoods Ethics advocating hammock
      camping are included.

      You can view any back issues of the newsletter for free at the same
      web site

      Remember you can sign up to automatically receive the Hammock
      Camping Newsletter by joining that Yahoo Group at:

      Happy Hammocking....Ed

      Moderator, Hammock Camping List
      Editor, Hammock Camping News
      Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc
    • Chuck Haak
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2, 2005
        I found my home made Speer hammock to be a wonderful addition to a
        dayhike on Saturday. I hiked into Hutches Pool in the Santa Catalina
        Mountains north of Tucson. After a quick skinnydip in the 60 degree
        water, I set up my hammock and settled in for two hours of blissful
        suspended solitude. I snoozed, read a good book, watched the birds, ate
        my lunch and listened to the precious sound of running water. It was a
        wonderful and peaceful way to spend a Saturday afternoon. The hammock
        will definitely be included on solo dayhikes in the future.
        Ed, did you ever get into Hutches Pool when you were at the U of A?
        Erosion from the forest fire of 2003 filled it in entirely, but it is
        starting to reform.

        Pbmoo4
        Message 3 of 6 , May 2, 2005
          I'm certainly jealous Chuck. Isn't Hutches Pool in Sabino Canyon? I hiked
          Sabino several times & even camped once, but without my hammock. However, I
          do remember the wonderful skinny dipping! Glad to hear your hammock worked
          so well

          Karen & I hope to vacation in southern AZ in Nov-so many great places to
          visit. Is the back road still accessible from Oracle up the north side of
          the Catalinas?..Ed

          _____

          Message 4 of 6 , May 7, 2005
            Ed,

            Very nice newsletter! I especially liked the excerpt from Backwoods
            Ethics. It is good to know some about our history.
            I am going to do a Google search on Duke Hammock to see if he was a real
            fellow or just a fun creation by the author. It is always fun to learn
            something new.

            Rick

            Message 5 of 6 , May 7, 2005
              Rick wrote:

              > Ed,
              >
              > Very nice newsletter! I especially liked the excerpt from Backwoods
              > Ethics. It is good to know some about our history.
              > I am going to do a Google search on Duke Hammock to see if he was a real
              > fellow or just a fun creation by the author. It is always fun to learn
              > something new.
              >
              > Rick

              Sadly, I could not find anything about Duke Hammock on the net. Does
              the original book have a reference or footnote for the story?

              Message 6 of 6 , May 7, 2005
                None, just that one reference. Never heard the Duke story before myself.
                Glad you like the newsletter Rick...Ed