Re:funny hammock stories/was Re: A Wildly Successful 200-Mile Hike

  • rosaleen43@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 29, 2005
      Jamie-

      I suspect most "funny hammockikng stories" will be short anecdotes. Like
      hammocking along the AT/Long Trail in Vermont. One morning I was awakened by a
      heavy thump against my side and opened my eyes to see a mass of brown fur.
      Fortunately, it was a curious dog, but I sure woke up fast that AM.

      Or hearing a disembodied "Gee, none on MY HAMMOCK!" as others were whining
      about being grossed out by having to pick multiple slugs and snails off of tents
      and ground cloths.

      Not enough for stories, but sure to bring smiles to hammock lovers everywhere!

      Rosaleen
      From: "chcoa" <jdeben@...>
      Subject: Re: A Wildly Successful 200-Mile Hike

      Well I'm glad it all worked out for you Rick. If I ever make the
      time to read anything besides children's books and baby food lables
      I'll have to check your book out. I really enjoy the writing I have
      seen from your webpage so I'm sure the book will be more of the same.

      Any funny hammocking stories in there???

      jamie in az

    • Banjo Doje
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 29, 2005
        Last year I was soloing on the Morrison/Rimrock trail in the Allegheny
        National Forest and had hung my hammock by a stream. I woke up once
        hearing something moving around and I hollered and it scampered away -
        figured it was a coon looking for my food sack (which WAS hung).
        Sometime later in the middle of the night I woke to hearing whining.
        "Oh my lord, I've hung my hammock next to a bears den!" was my initial
        thought. Then I hollered and heard something moving but not running
        off so I knew it wasn't the coon coming back. I finally grabbed my
        head lamp and hesitantly switched it on, hoping it wasn't a momma bear
        and her cubs. There, waddling in the grass, was a HUGE porcupine.
        She was mad - I musta hung my hammock from her tree. She wandered
        around all friggin' night long whining and carrying on. Finally,
        sometime around dawn, she left and I was able to get a couple of hours
        of undisturbed sleep. When I woke up, the blueberries I had eaten the
        day before were working so I headed up into the woods farther to dig
        me a cat-hole and do my business. I had gotten settled so I could go
        and I heard a noise again to my right - I looked over, and dang if it
        wasn't that porcupine again! She was only about 20 yards away and
        waddling toward me. I think that had to be a record potty break!!
        She let me know in no uncertain terms that she was NOT happy about my
        being there. I marked that spot on my trail map as a place NOT to
        camp in the next time I went LOL.

        My hammock story for what it's worth.....

        Jodi

        --
        " Everyday I am faced with challenges and I accept those challenges,
        no matter how tough the reality of my life is. I can take it because I
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 29, 2005
          > I suspect most "funny hammockikng stories" will be short anecdotes. Like
          > hammocking along the AT/Long Trail in Vermont. One morning I was awakened
          by a
          > heavy thump against my side and opened my eyes to see a mass of brown fur.
          > Fortunately, it was a curious dog, but I sure woke up fast that AM.

          Hmmm...

          We were camped at Black Creek right next to the river. I usually like to
          camp up on the ridge, but when we got in that night, the moon on the river
          was really beautifull, so I tied off to two trees just above the beach. My
          two companions on that occasion started to set up nearby, and I said, "Ya'll
          ought to go up to the ridge."

          "Why?", they wanted to know.

          "Well, if it rains, ya'll will get washed out."

          They didn't listen to me, and about 4:00 in the morning - with the moon
          still out and clear skys - it rained somewhere upstream. Rained hard. The
          water comes up really fast in black creek sometimes... At least *I* was
          still dry.

          ***

          Camped under some oak trees in Bedico, LA, it sounded like rain one night.
          I noticed that whatever it was, was hitting my silnylon tarp and sliding
          off. In the morning, it was discovered that the Buckeye caterpillars (which
          have a nasty sting) decided to kamikaze the campsite. The tents were
          covered in them.

          ***

          When camping in Clear Springs, I offered my friend Steve the loan of either
          a hammock or my Tarptent Virga. The Virga has no floor. Clear Springs is
          one of those areas where it's really hard to find a level bit of ground. He
          awoke in the morning, having slid most of the way out of the Virga and down
          the hill.

          There are others, but I'd have to change the names to protect the naive.

          Shane
        • chcoa
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 29, 2005
            Well you are right about the smiles, thanks for sharing. The brown
            fur one had be going. I think about that all the time even though
            bears aren't super common in AZ. The height thing though is what
            freeks me out I think. I just don't want to wake up to warm breath
            looking in through my bug net right at my head level....ack!!! OF
            course being the cream filling inside a tent isn't really appealling
            either.

            jamie in az

          • hiking@westernpa.us
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 30, 2005
              > Well you are right about the smiles, thanks for sharing. The brown
              > fur one had be going. I think about that all the time even though
              > bears aren't super common in AZ. The height thing though is what
              > freeks me out I think. I just don't want to wake up to warm breath
              > looking in through my bug net right at my head level....ack!!! OF
              > course being the cream filling inside a tent isn't really appealling
              > either.
              >
              > jamie in az

              When I did my Woodbadge training (Boy Scout thing) we spent a couple
              nights at the top of the Laurel Ridge. Woke up one Sunday morning to find
              a bunch of bear tracks all through our campsite (mom & cubs). They didn't
              disturb anything; I didn't even know they were there even though there was
              a set of tracks with 2 feet of my tent door. Pa. blackies just aren't very
              agressive.

              Two years ago I ran across a mom & her two cubs still "hibernating" just
              off the trail. Their "den" was just some old berry brush, they were nice
              and comfy underneath. I walked to within 30 ft of her, got a couple
              pictures (though they're hard to make out unless you know what you're
              looking at), mom stuck her head up and watched as I was taking them, then
              put her head back down as I left - exciting.

              Last year my son (Josh) and I were hiking the upper end of the Laurel
              Ridge and came across some bear scat, still nice and warm, steam coming
              off the top. Figured it couldn't have been more than a couple minutes old
              by the shimmer.

              mike