Re: [Hammock Camping] Digest Number 855

  • rosaleen43@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 28, 2005
      Mike-

      A couple of MA residents showed up at the Hot Springs Campout. An occasional
      bit of drawl, left over from the years I lived in Huntsville, AL, might slip
      in, but I'm still considered a "Damn Yankee" by most Southerners.

      Rosaleen
      From: "w_pa_hiker" <hiking@...>
      Subject: Re: Southeast Hammock Hangers Campout

      Thanks Coy, but if I went to Hot Springs I'd have to put up with all
      those Rebs - and that damned drawl! ;-)

      mike
      Mike-

    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 28, 2005
        You'd think after 140 years the'd get tired of being sore losers.

        Ralph

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 29, 2005
          Not a chance.
          I have met Englishmen who are still upset about the colonies breaking
          off in 1776.
          The French will never forgive the Brits in Canada.
          And the animosity between Native Americans and Europeans - especially
          the English and American type - and the Spanish - will never be
          forgotten by them.

          Victors seem to forget the feelings of the vanquished, and that is not a
          good idea.

          Rick

          Ralph Oborn wrote:

          > You'd think after 140 years the'd get tired of being sore losers.
          >
          > Ralph
          >
          > On 4/28/05, rosaleen43@... <rosaleen43@...> wrote:
          > > Mike-
          > >
          > > A couple of MA residents showed up at the Hot Springs Campout. An
          > > occasional
          > > bit of drawl, left over from the years I lived in Huntsville, AL,
          > might slip
          > > in, but I'm still considered a "Damn Yankee" by most Southerners.
          > >
          > > Rosaleen

        • zippydooda
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 29, 2005
            I think it's not so much the defeat, but rather the ongoing difference
            in culture. As Lewis Grizzard said, "you can come down here and marry
            our women and ride our horses and drink our whiskey, but DON'T tell us
            how you used to do it in Cleveland."

            Bill in Houston

          • rosaleen43@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 29, 2005
              Ralph-

              I missed the interim messages.

              Often when the "Damn Yankee" phrase was utilized in front of me, it was good
              natured teasing. I walked and talked too fast for my friends, especially
              shorter ones. It takes years, maybe generations, to develop the inborn sense of
              needing to automatically slow down to protect oneself in a hot southern summer.

              Many Southerners are polite to an extreme. The few who might mutter a
              derrogatory "Damn Yankee!" under their breath but just in earshot are few enough to
              be ignored. I love the South and thoroughly enjoy the company of Southern
              ladies and gentlemen.

              Rosaleen

              From: "zippydooda" <zippydooda@...>
              Subject: Re: Sore losers

              I think it's not so much the defeat, but rather the ongoing difference
              in culture. As Lewis Grizzard said, "you can come down here and marry
              our women and ride our horses and drink our whiskey, but DON'T tell us
              how you used to do it in Cleveland."

              Bill in Houston

              > You'd think after 140 years the'd get tired of being sore losers.
              >
              > Ralph
              >
              > On 4/28/05, rosaleen43@a... <rosaleen43@a...> wrote:
              > > Mike-
              > >
              > > A couple of MA residents showed up at the Hot Springs Campout. An
              > > occasional
              > > bit of drawl, left over from the years I lived in Huntsville, AL,
              might slip
              > > in, but I'm still considered a "Damn Yankee" by most Southerners.
              > >
              > > Rosaleen

            • Shane Steinkamp
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 29, 2005
                > Victors seem to forget the feelings of the vanquished, and that is not a
                > good idea.

                It's hard to have pity on the tenters from the lofty position of a hammock.

                Especially when it starts to flood.

                I mean, how can you NOT laugh?

                Shane
              • Banjo Doje
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 29, 2005
                  And when they wake up and they have the lovely snail trails on their
                  tents to contend with.

                  Jodi

                  --
                  " Everyday I am faced with challenges and I accept those challenges,
                  no matter how tough the reality of my life is. I can take it because I