Re: [Hammock Camping] Book Authors

  • David Chinell
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 28, 2005
      Ed:

      I wrote System Documentation: The In-Line Approach in 1990.
      It was published by John Wiley & Sons. The ISBN is
      0-471-50492-0. It is long out of print, and information
      technology and documentation tools and approaches have
      changed enough to make parts of the book outdated.

      I also ghost-wrote two books, one on marketing financial
      planning services, the other on new age spiritual practices.
      Out of deference to the "authors" I will not give the
      details here.

      Writing my own book was probably the most difficult thing
      I've ever done. I'm really glad I did it once, but it would
      take some powerfully strong incentive to tempt me to write
      another. There certainly wasn't enough money in it to make
      it worthwhile.

      Bear
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 28, 2005
        Bear, I think a lot of authors have the same experience-a lot of work, but
        no money. We all hope for a lifetime income, but the reality is often a lot
        different. Yet, writing books can be for different reasons, I guess. My
        first book was a family genealogy book that took 5 years-definitely no money
        in that one, but the experience was great and the family now has a real
        treasure.

        I'll add your 1990 book to our members list..Thanks.Ed

        _____

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 28, 2005
          I expect to be able to get the printing costs back, but not to be
          reimbursed for my time. At the most, I could make a few thousand
          dollars on the book. That would make it worthwhile to keep writing. My
          retirement allows me food money. If writing can give me some spending
          money, I' be happy enough to continue.

          Ed Speer wrote:

          > Bear, I think a lot of authors have the same experience-a lot of work, but
          > no money. We all hope for a lifetime income, but the reality is often
          > a lot
          > different. Yet, writing books can be for different reasons, I guess. My
          > first book was a family genealogy book that took 5 years-definitely no
          > money
          > in that one, but the experience was great and the family now has a real
          > treasure.
          >

          > I'll add your 1990 book to our members list..Thanks.Ed
          >

          > _____

        • Shane Steinkamp
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 28, 2005
            > How many others on our list are authors?

            I've consulted on a number of books, ghost written a few, and had a slew of
            magazine articles published - all mostly in the arena of Law Enforcement and
            Military Training.

            I've got some published poetry, and a few self published booklets of same.

            The only book I have sole authorship of is _Storming the Gates of Eden_,
            available free online:

            www.theplacewithnoname.com/voiceoftheuniverse/stgoe.htm

            Shane
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 28, 2005
              Thanks Shane. Will add your book to our authors list. If you want to list
              any of the magazine articles, just send me the details..Ed

              Moderator, Hammock Camping List

              Editor, Hammock Camping News

              Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

              _____

            • beanco@mail.tvnet.hu
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 28, 2005

                i must have missed sg. what have your written?

                robi

              • Shane Steinkamp
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 28, 2005
                  > Thanks Shane. Will add your book to our authors list. If you want to
                  list
                  > any of the magazine articles, just send me the details..Ed

                  None of them are really germane. BackpackingLight.com was supposed to
                  publish my Why Hammock article, but they never did anything with it. I've
                  got two articles that are going to be published in the Kootenay
                  Mountaineering Club's (http://www.kootenaymountaineering.bc.ca/) journal in
                  the next few months, but they haven't come out yet.

                  Shane
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 28, 2005
                    See message 8825 for a synopsis of what we are talking about.

                    Rick

                    beanco@... wrote:

                    >Rick
                    >
                    >i must have missed sg. what have your written?
                    >
                    >robi

                  • Ralph Oborn
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 28, 2005
                      I would guess that authoring a few witty comments over on kampfire
                      wouldn't count?

                      Ralph Oborn

                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 29, 2005
                        Let's hear 'em Ralph, you may get an entire poem in the newsletter..Ed

                        _____

                        I would guess that authoring a few witty comments over on kampfire
                        wouldn't count?

                        Ralph Oborn

                        On 4/28/05, Shane Steinkamp <shane@...> wrote:
                        > > Thanks Shane. Will add your book to our authors list. If you want to
                        > list
                        > > any of the magazine articles, just send me the details..Ed
                        >
                        > None of them are really germane. BackpackingLight.com was supposed to
                        > publish my Why Hammock article, but they never did anything with it. I've
                        > got two articles that are going to be published in the Kootenay
                        > Mountaineering Club's
                        > (http://www.kootenaymountaineering.bc.ca/) journal in
                        > the next few months, but they haven't come out yet.
                        >
                        > Shane

                        _____

                      • Shane Steinkamp
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 29, 2005
                          > I would guess that authoring a few witty comments over on kampfire
                          > wouldn't count?

                          Not until you comple the book. ;)

                          Shane