Re: [Hammock Camping] straps

  • David Chinell
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 26, 2005
      Slowhike:

      I'm darned if I remember where I got the rings. They're
      nothing special, just 1-inch welded steel o-rings. Try
      strapworks.com. (I just ordered some rings and olive drab
      polypro strapping from them.)

      For my setup, I looped the hammock rope itself right through
      the pair of o-rings, using a lark's head. Dead simple. I
      found that it made a difference which side I threaded the
      tree strap through. One way seemed to work against the
      lark's head to loosen the rings, just as you described.

      But I would have thought that your method -- using a short
      loop of webbing to capture the rings and attach them to the
      hammock -- would work perfectly. I'm surprised that it
      didn't.

      I'll bet lots of tiny things helped to make my setup work so
      well. Things like the diameter of the ring wire -- maybe too
      thick and it tends to let the strapping slip. Things like
      thickness and ribbing depth of the strapping -- affects how
      well the rings can "grab" the strap.

      I was careful the first time I "set" the straps in the
      rings. I kept everything loose as possible and leaned on the
      hammock to tighten them evenly. But since then, I've just
      hopped into and out of the hammock without any concern. It's
      been set up for almost two weeks now.

      Keep on experimenting and let us know if you find an answer!

      Bear