Southeast Hammock Hangers Campout

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 25, 2005
      Our 10th SEHHA campout this past weekend In Hot Springs was great.
      Neither snow, sleet or rain could damper the spirit of the Pod
      People! The weekend brought a late spring cold front, which was
      quite a change from the previous 3 weeks of warm sunny weather. But
      we still had 9 hammockers on Friday nite and 10 on Saturday. In
      addition, many folks came by for short visits on Saturday.

      But the weather was the real story: A mid afternoor hail storm on
      Friday was followed by violet thunder storms and heavy rain after
      dark. The lightning display was nothing short of awe inspiring.
      However, all of us Pod People stayed dry and warm. Saturday am
      brought rainy skies with short sprinkles contiuning throught out the
      day. Saturday nite brought more rain with snow falling by daylight.
      Heavy at times, the snow was beautiful at our riverside campsite.
      No significant accumulation occurred at our elevation, but roads
      were blocked at some higher elevations.

      Several hammockers drove over 500 miles for the campout and we all
      enjoyed the diversity of hammocks--Speer, Hennessy, homemade, etc.
      The Jacks (Jacks R Better) from VA arrived Sat am and demoed their
      gear. Speer Hammocks showed our new Segmented Pad Extender, while
      Rosaleen represented the Hennessy line. Karen's hot dog roast Sat
      nite was a winner as usual.

      Karen & I would like to thank everyone who attended and made this
      such a great event.

      We will be doing it again June 10-11! Hope to see you there.

      ...Ed
      Moderator Hammock Camping List
      Owner Speer Hammocks
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 25, 2005
        I had a great time also. Great to see old friends, put faces to names
        and make new friends. Ran across several folks outside of the
        hammockers in Hot Springs for the festival as well. Sorry J.R. was
        unable to make it (I heard his mother passed), we were all looking
        forward to seeing him again and showing him some of the hammock stuff
        that he was interested in... we'll get to show him another time.

        Of course it is always nice to actually see what the other hammockers
        are up to, a lot of thought and work goes into some of this stuff and I
        think you appreciate it more when you get to see and touch it first
        hand. Seems like most of the folks there had something they had come
        up with and were excited to show everyone else... kind of like proud
        kids at a 'hammock fair'. Maybe we should give out prizes <grin>. Did
        anyone get pictures with Jack & Jack wearing their rain hats... that
        was a photo opp I missed and I want one of them too.

        Youngblood
      • zippydooda
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 25, 2005
          Are you sleeping on your stomach in one of those photos in the album?

          Bill in Houston

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 25, 2005

            > Are you sleeping on your stomach in one of those photos in the
            album?

            > Bill in Houston

            Bill,

            I am sort of half way between my side and my stomach, but mostly on
            my
            side. Often I will lay like that with the side of the hammock pulled
            under my head somewhat as a pillow so that I have a ground level view
            of everything to that side of me... when I'm not using a tarp I get
            the
            full view. You might be surprised at what critters are about at last
            light and first light... this time it was Coy <grin>, but I have
            spotted gray foxes and other critters who just ignored me in my
            hammock. For some reason they either look right through me or just
            don't feel threatened, either way it's pretty neat.

            Youngblood
          • zippydooda
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 26, 2005
              Hmm, cool, I'll have to try that. Thanks.

              Bill in Houston

              > Bill,
              >
              > I am sort of half way between my side and my stomach, but mostly on
              > my
              > side. Often I will lay like that with the side of the hammock
              pulled
              > under my head somewhat as a pillow so that I have a ground level
              view
              > of everything to that side of me... when I'm not using a tarp I get
              > the
              > full view. You might be surprised at what critters are about at
              last
              > light and first light... this time it was Coy <grin>, but I have
              > spotted gray foxes and other critters who just ignored me in my
              > hammock. For some reason they either look right through me or just
              > don't feel threatened, either way it's pretty neat.
              >
              > Youngblood
            • w_pa_hiker
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 26, 2005
                Anyone know if there are other groups like this? I'm in SW Pa. and would like to find one
                close to me.

                Thanks,

                mike
              • Coy
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 26, 2005
                  no such animal. besides, who would want to hangout with all the yanks
                  sure to attend...You might consider Trail Days in Damascus Va but it
                  is not the same. it is more of a vendor/hiker gathering. having
                  never been I should not comment much though. Damascus is about 360
                  miles from Pitt. Another 100? miles would put you in Hot Springs.

                  Actually the SWHHA is the only other simi-orgainized gathering I am
                  aware of. It was put forth on this list by several Arizonians wanting
                  to hang out. Maybe you could find enough interested souls to pull one
                  off up yer way.

                  Coy Boy

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "w_pa_hiker" <hiking@w...>
                  wrote:

                  > Anyone know if there are other groups like this? I'm in SW Pa. and
                  would like to find one
                  > close to me.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > mike
                • w_pa_hiker
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 27, 2005
                    Thanks Coy, but if I went to Hot Springs I'd have to put up with all
                    those Rebs - and that damned drawl! ;-)

                    mike

                  • rosaleen43@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 27, 2005
                      Mike-

                      I suspect any hammocker who can gather some other hammockers for a campout
                      would be well on is way to doing the same in his/her neck of the woods. There
                      are some other hiker gatherings in the Northeast already: PA RUCK at Pine
                      Grove Furnace State Park in January and the ALDHA Gathering in alternating years
                      In Hanover, NH. (Alternating between W VA and NH).

                      Rosaleen