Re: [Hammock Camping] straps

  • David Chinell
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 21, 2005
      Slowhike:

      Please take a look at the photos in my folder, Bear's Pix.
      They show how you can use a simple webbing strap and two
      steel rings to make a light, fully-adjustable, knot-free
      hanging system for any hammock that has straps or ropes.

      Bear

      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 26, 2005
        Slowhike:

        I'm darned if I remember where I got the rings. They're
        nothing special, just 1-inch welded steel o-rings. Try
        strapworks.com. (I just ordered some rings and olive drab
        polypro strapping from them.)

        For my setup, I looped the hammock rope itself right through
        the pair of o-rings, using a lark's head. Dead simple. I
        found that it made a difference which side I threaded the
        tree strap through. One way seemed to work against the
        lark's head to loosen the rings, just as you described.

        But I would have thought that your method -- using a short
        loop of webbing to capture the rings and attach them to the
        hammock -- would work perfectly. I'm surprised that it
        didn't.

        I'll bet lots of tiny things helped to make my setup work so
        well. Things like the diameter of the ring wire -- maybe too
        thick and it tends to let the strapping slip. Things like
        thickness and ribbing depth of the strapping -- affects how
        well the rings can "grab" the strap.

        I was careful the first time I "set" the straps in the
        rings. I kept everything loose as possible and leaned on the
        hammock to tighten them evenly. But since then, I've just
        hopped into and out of the hammock without any concern. It's
        been set up for almost two weeks now.

        Keep on experimenting and let us know if you find an answer!

        Bear