Beautiful Weekend in Georgia

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 18, 2005
      Spent saturday and sunday backpacking the first twenty miles of the
      Appalachian Trail. Not a cloud in the sky. This is the time of year
      that you hike in and out of spring... the leafs are out at the lower
      elevations but are just starting to bud out at the higher elevations.
      Wildflowers are going through their cycle... mayapples, maghoney
      trillium, columbine and many others are going strong. I supplied
      hammocks for my hiking buddy and his girlfriend... it was her first
      backpacking trip. She did great. We all slept on the leeward edge of
      an un-named mountain between Hightower Gap and Horse Gap, no tarps or
      bugnets. Just watching the stars, satellites and even a shooting star
      or two through the bare tree limbs... gently rocking ourselves to
      sleep. It was great, daytime highs were mid 70s and the low saturday
      night was about 40. On saturday we found the little known Sacrafice
      Rock that may deplict an unpleasant episode when DeSoto passed through
      the area in the 1540s and visited the hiker friendly cemetary at
      Hickory Flats... the one with the pavillion and two-seat merry-go-round
      built out of an old road gate. I even bumped into some of my old hiker
      buds. On sunday we had the great vistas with exceptional visibility at
      Liss Gap and Ramrock Mountain. While I was enjoying the view at Liss
      Gap one of the buzzards that was circling the valley below decided to
      take a break on a limb about 50 yards away... neat stuff.

      Youngblood