Re: which hammock?

  • dlfrost_1
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 14, 2005
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "slowhike" <slowhike@y...>
      wrote:
      > thanks for the response...good info to start on. i`m thinking
      of
      > trying the single eagles nest (avalible at local outfitter) to see
      how
      > i like sleeping in it, but do any of you have experiance comparing
      it
      > to others concerning comfort of the hammock its self. if the basic
      > hammock is comparable, i can take care of tarp,bug net,etc. later.
      > also, i`m 5`10"...i guess the single will be big enough to give me
      > full comfort? thanks...slowhike

      I suggest getting the Eagle's Nest Double for camping. It's easier
      to get a pad or sleeping bag into it. I have a single which I take
      along when dayhiking. I removed the stock metal tie-offs and
      replaced them with lightweight carabiners. They weigh the same but
      are stronger and have a larger/better ends to tie webbing straps onto.

      For testing puropses you don't have to sew anything--just drape your
      bug netting over the hammock from a ridgeline like a few people here
      have done. That way, if you don't like the hammock you can sell it
      unaltered.

      Doug Frost
    • zippydooda
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 15, 2005
        I'm also a side/stomach sleeper, also had sore shoulders and hips
        when sleeping on the ground, and find that I can sleep very well in a
        hammock in a sort of side/back position.

        I have a Risk test hammock, made with two layers of 1.1 oz ripstop.
        I like the two layers since it simplifies the pad situation. I can't
        imagine wrestling a pad in a Hennessy hammock. But, the HH is
        definitely a very nice, well thought out package.

        Bill in Houston