Spring gear

  • David Chinell
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 13, 2003
      I'll be in the forest this weekend. Each morning this week
      I've watched the Weather Channel with rapt attention.

      Typical late winter or early spring temperatures are
      expected. Low of 65, and high of 85. It's still tough to
      stand this kind of cold, but it's getting a little easier.

      I'm going to try going without any pad, just my Thinsulate
      poncho liner as a top cover. I'll also take my poncho with
      some binder clips as a backup taco shell.

      Bear
    • Marge Prothman
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 13, 2003
        Bear,
        Lows of 65 wow....I thought I was ready to climb in the Hammock in lows of
        25 and
        highs of 65. We are getting warmer here in Sun Valley, Idaho, the UPS man
        is now in shorts and knee socks. Maybe our cold is warmer than your cold.
        Or, maybe it is just all in my mind due to the Sun shining each day. It
        makes for not very good skiing though, you have to be first on the chairlift
        at 9 a.m. and ski until noon, then it is heavy and sloppy snow and my quads
        sure feel it.
        Cheers,
        Marge (the old gal)

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 13, 2003
          Message
          Spring is on the way isn't it Bear...must have hit 75 here yesterday (on the east flanks of the southern Blue Ridge)--warmest day of the year so far.  Floweres are blooming and grass is growing.  Sorry I missed the cold weather since I didn't have time to get out and test all the new stay-warm ideas on the list.  But I too will be out this weekend, trying a modification of the GI (I can catch back up with winter a bit by heading up on 6,684' Mt Mitchell).  Expecting lows in 20's and hi's in 50's...Ed

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 13, 2003
            low 65 ha.  I was ecstatic with a temp of 51 as a high today.  Low of 33 and it is raining like crazy.
            -Jason S

            Visit my website http://www.spanky526.com

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 13, 2003
              > Typical late winter or early spring temperatures are
              > expected. Low of 65, and high of 85. It's still tough to
              > stand this kind of cold, but it's getting a little easier.

              Wow....it's like 25 out today - that's the high, and it's been
              snowing all morning. 4" of new stuff today alone! I can't WAIT for
              65 - 85!!!!

              > I'm going to try going without any pad, just my Thinsulate
              > poncho liner as a top cover. I'll also take my poncho with
              > some binder clips as a backup taco shell.

              You might want to throw in a couple of cheapo emergency blankets to
              crinkle up and put in the taco. Maybe a bag too.

              Have fun! I'm still in winter mode.

              Tim
            • David Chinell
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 13, 2003
                Sure, but ....

                NO "Space" blankets, on principle.

                Bear

                > Typical late winter or early spring temperatures are
                > expected. Low of 65, and high of 85. It's still tough to
                > stand this kind of cold, but it's getting a little easier.

                Wow....it's like 25 out today - that's the high, and it's
                been
                snowing all morning. 4" of new stuff today alone! I can't
                WAIT for
                65 - 85!!!!

                > I'm going to try going without any pad, just my Thinsulate
                > poncho liner as a top cover. I'll also take my poncho with
                > some binder clips as a backup taco shell.

                You might want to throw in a couple of cheapo emergency
                blankets to
                crinkle up and put in the taco. Maybe a bag too.

                Have fun! I'm still in winter mode.

                Tim
              • J Cornelius
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 13, 2003

                  <thwaps the snot out of Bear!>  Don’t rub it in!!  I’m going NUTS with wanting to get out and play with my hammock but with sub-zero temps and lousy weekends, I have been unable to do so. <sigh>  I should just get it set up and grab some warmies and do it anyway, but I gotta wade thru about 4 feet of snow to get to my trees and I’m really not in the mood to do that, SOOOOOOOOOO I’ll be patient and wait until Spring has Sprung

                  Jodi who’s dreaming of backpacking weather

                  Abnormality IS the normality at this locality!

                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 13, 2003
                    > <thwaps the snot out of Bear!> Don't rub it in!! I'm
                    > going NUTS with wanting to get out and play with my
                    > hammock but with sub-zero temps and lousy weekends, I have
                    > been unable to do so. <sigh>

                    Poor girl... You will be pleased to know that your homeland is warm and
                    pleasant - and will welcome you back when you are ready to return from that
                    hellish place...

                    Shane

                    Yes, here it is - :)
                  • J Cornelius
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 14, 2003

                      <sigh> the sad thing is, Shane??  I LOVE the cold and the snow – I’ve just finally had enough LOL

                      Jodi