which hammock?

  • slowhike
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 11, 2005
      hey guys... i`m a backpacker & new to hammocks but becoming
      extreamly interrested! i`ve been attracted (in my thoughts) toward
      hammocks for quite some time ,but i`m a side sleeper & didn`t know if
      i could sleep in one. also 3 years ago i fell from a tree & broke 2
      vertabra in my back & 13 ribs, so i need an even more comfortable
      sleeping surface now than before. i`ve read enough now about side
      sleepers & flat sleeping surfaces, to be wanting to try one out. the
      only one i`ve seen & been able to lay in is eagle nest @ the local
      outfitters(great outdoor provision), but i`m realy drawn toward
      something a little more complete like HH. looking at all the brands &
      models can be a little confusing, not knowing where to draw the line
      between salesmanship & realality. i know there`s no easy answer to my
      question ,but can you guys point me to info on chooseing a hammock
      that is tryed & true & hard to go wrong w/? thanks...slowhike
    • Banjo Doje
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 11, 2005
        I'm a certified HHer myself - I am a side sleeper also and LOVE my
        hammock - in fact, I own 2 of them! It helped my sleeping so much so
        that I went and bought an Amazona hammock for sleeping in at home!

        Highly recommend one! Only thing I would suggest is you check out
        Shane's website for his video on how to tie the knot right! And
        PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE before you go out on the trail.

        Shane's video can be seen here, along with a TON of important information!

        http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/hiking/sections/gear/shelter/hknot.htm

        or Tiny Url

        http://tinyurl.com/uxeq

        Enjoy!!!

        Jodi

        On Apr 11, 2005 9:15 PM, slowhike <slowhike@...> wrote:

        > hey guys... i`m a backpacker & new to hammocks but becoming
        > extreamly interrested! i`ve been attracted (in my thoughts) toward
        > hammocks for quite some time ,but i`m a side sleeper & didn`t know if
        > i could sleep in one. also 3 years ago i fell from a tree & broke 2
        > vertabra in my back & 13 ribs, so i need an even more comfortable
        > sleeping surface now than before. i`ve read enough now about side
        > sleepers & flat sleeping surfaces, to be wanting to try one out. the
        > only one i`ve seen & been able to lay in is eagle nest @ the local
        > outfitters(great outdoor provision), but i`m realy drawn toward
        > something a little more complete like HH. looking at all the brands &
        > models can be a little confusing, not knowing where to draw the line
        > between salesmanship & realality. i know there`s no easy answer to my
        > question ,but can you guys point me to info on chooseing a hammock
        > that is tryed & true & hard to go wrong w/? thanks...slowhike
      • Rat
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 11, 2005
          For a complete all-in-one system the Hennessey is hard to beat, but
          the Clark runs a close second. For the utmost in form, function and
          adaptability a Speer or homemade system is the ticket. It really
          depends on how *hands on* you are with your equipment. Hammocks are
          very adaptable, no matter if you buy it or build it.

          I am a side sleeper also. When I used to sleep on the ground my
          shoulders (along with other parts of my body) would ache in the
          morning. On the ground you can either sleep on your back, on your
          stomach or on your side, there's just not much in-between. But, in a
          hammock there are lots of in-betweens (is that a word?). For
          example, I now sleep lying on my left side, with my right led kinda
          crosswed over my left leg and my torso is slightly rotated toward my
          front. It's kinda like sleeping half and half on my side and
          stomach. Hard to explain, maybe I can take some pictures... I think
          it was Risk who best described it on another thread. I guess I am
          trying to say you are not limited to the position of your body, you
          can lie anywhere in the middle from *flat* to *on your side*, even
          fetal.

          Your right tho, there is no easy answer. I like my hammocks a little
          longer so I have room to *spread out*. One thing is for sure, there
          is no comparison when it comes to comfort!

          Rat

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "slowhike" <slowhike@y...>
          wrote:

          > hey guys... i`m a backpacker & new to hammocks but becoming
          > extreamly interrested! i`ve been attracted (in my thoughts) toward
          > hammocks for quite some time ,but i`m a side sleeper & didn`t know
          if
          > i could sleep in one. also 3 years ago i fell from a tree & broke
          2
          > vertabra in my back & 13 ribs, so i need an even more comfortable
          > sleeping surface now than before. i`ve read enough now about side
          > sleepers & flat sleeping surfaces, to be wanting to try one out.
          the
          > only one i`ve seen & been able to lay in is eagle nest @ the local
          > outfitters(great outdoor provision), but i`m realy drawn toward
          > something a little more complete like HH. looking at all the
          brands &
          > models can be a little confusing, not knowing where to draw the
          line
          > between salesmanship & realality. i know there`s no easy answer to
          my
          > question ,but can you guys point me to info on chooseing a hammock
          > that is tryed & true & hard to go wrong w/? thanks...slowhike
        • jwj32542
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 12, 2005
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rat" <hogn8r2004@y...> wrote:

            > For a complete all-in-one system the Hennessey is hard to beat, but
            > the Clark runs a close second. For the utmost in form, function and
            > adaptability a Speer or homemade system is the ticket. It really
            > depends on how *hands on* you are with your equipment. Hammocks are
            > very adaptable, no matter if you buy it or build it.

            That's an awesome way to explain it!

            I love my homemade Speer-types when it's cold. I stay warmer in a
            Speer than in the HH and the Speer is much more comfortable. (Plus
            the homemade ones cost like $8 total to make.) But I take my HH when
            it's bug season...very light and awesome protection from bugs. If I
            can find a good homemade solution that I like better than my HH, I
            might take that instead.

            Jeff
          • David Chinell
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 12, 2005
              Slowhike:

              You really need to try out each kind to determine the pros
              and cons. It sounds expensive, but if you do it one-a-year,
              you might get away with it.

              The obvious starting place is to try a Speer style using
              Risk's excellent test hammock method. No sewing, under $10
              in materials, etc. Speers are the ultimate in flexibility.
              You only take and use the components you need. They work
              great with either closed cell foam or underquilts, and there
              are tons of add-ons you can make or buy.

              I'd suggest a Mosquito Hammock next. I think these are a
              great design, and a lot cheaper than the Clark. I think you
              could easily make one of these yourself if you folded and
              tied three layers (outside shell, inside bottom, netting)
              and closed the netting by running shock cord under the
              hammock from side to side at the middle.

              www.mosquitohammock.com

              I like everything about these except the weight and the
              white netting used on the original production run of the
              Expedition model. You can hang the hammock with the mosquito
              netting down (just by flipping it over) and use it for
              lounging during the day, just like a Speer hammock. Then at
              night you flip it the other way and you have a bug-proof
              shelter.

              Finally, you should try a Hennessy. They are another great
              design. The feeling I get there is that everything (base,
              netting , tarp) is tightly integrated and reduced to the
              absolute minimum required, so you get a complete, light
              system that's easy to hang.

              I think the HH is less flexible because you always have to
              have the mosquito netting. It's just never seemed as easy or
              inviting for general lounging to me as the Speer type. But
              it's the first hammock I think of for a light, fast,
              complete system.

              Bear
            • slowhike
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 13, 2005
                thanks for the response...good info to start on. i`m thinking of
                trying the single eagles nest (avalible at local outfitter) to see how
                i like sleeping in it, but do any of you have experiance comparing it
                to others concerning comfort of the hammock its self. if the basic
                hammock is comparable, i can take care of tarp,bug net,etc. later.
                also, i`m 5`10"...i guess the single will be big enough to give me
                full comfort? thanks...slowhike
              • Arron Robinson
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 13, 2005
                  I've got a eagels nest singlenest and a Clark Jungle Hammock Deluxe. I can
                  honestly say that I find the Signglenest more spacious in general. Feature
                  wise, I love my JungleHammock, but comfort and material on the Singlenest
                  are just really superb

                  On 4/13/05, slowhike <slowhike@...> wrote:

                  > thanks for the response...good info to start on. i`m thinking of
                  > trying the single eagles nest (avalible at local outfitter) to see how
                  > i like sleeping in it, but do any of you have experiance comparing it
                  > to others concerning comfort of the hammock its self. if the basic
                  > hammock is comparable, i can take care of tarp,bug net,etc. later.
                  > also, i`m 5`10"...i guess the single will be big enough to give me
                  > full comfort? thanks...slowhike

                  ------
                  mouserar@... --- aim:mouserar
                  ------
                  "One has to belong to the intelligentsia to believe things like that: no
                  ordinary man could be such a fool"
                  --George Orwell

                • dlfrost_1
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 14, 2005
                    wrote:
                    > thanks for the response...good info to start on. i`m thinking
                    of
                    > trying the single eagles nest (avalible at local outfitter) to see
                    how
                    > i like sleeping in it, but do any of you have experiance comparing
                    it
                    > to others concerning comfort of the hammock its self. if the basic
                    > hammock is comparable, i can take care of tarp,bug net,etc. later.
                    > also, i`m 5`10"...i guess the single will be big enough to give me
                    > full comfort? thanks...slowhike

                    I suggest getting the Eagle's Nest Double for camping. It's easier
                    to get a pad or sleeping bag into it. I have a single which I take
                    along when dayhiking. I removed the stock metal tie-offs and
                    replaced them with lightweight carabiners. They weigh the same but
                    are stronger and have a larger/better ends to tie webbing straps onto.

                    For testing puropses you don't have to sew anything--just drape your
                    bug netting over the hammock from a ridgeline like a few people here
                    have done. That way, if you don't like the hammock you can sell it
                    unaltered.

                    Doug Frost
                  • zippydooda
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 15, 2005
                      I'm also a side/stomach sleeper, also had sore shoulders and hips
                      when sleeping on the ground, and find that I can sleep very well in a
                      hammock in a sort of side/back position.

                      I have a Risk test hammock, made with two layers of 1.1 oz ripstop.
                      I like the two layers since it simplifies the pad situation. I can't
                      imagine wrestling a pad in a Hennessy hammock. But, the HH is
                      definitely a very nice, well thought out package.

                      Bill in Houston