Adjustable knotless hanging

  • David Chinell
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 11, 2005

      This is a report on a hanging system I tried out over the
      weekend. It will work if your hammock is bound with rope,
      and probably if it's bound with straps (though I haven't
      actually tried that yet). You can make this with no sewing
      or tools, and it allows easy adjustment of the hang without
      using knots.

      You need four steel rings for the adjustable buckles. The
      kind I got were described as 4 mm x 25 mm. That's 1 inch in
      diameter, with about 5/32-inch thick wire. They're welded
      shut.

      You need two 1-inch straps for tree huggers, each 8 feet
      long. I used polyester, but anything that will hold 600
      pounds will work. Next time I think I'll use 10-foot lengths
      to allow for more variation in trunk thickness.

      Attach a pair of rings to each end of your hammock, six to
      twelve inches from the end of the hammock material. This
      forms the adjustable buckle on each end. The hammock I used
      had 3/16-inch cord at the ends, so I just passed this
      through the rings and over into a lark's head. Any method of
      containing the rings loosely in a loop of your hammock cord
      or strap will work.

      Prepare the straps for use as tree-huggers. Create a 2-inch
      loop in one end by tying a water knot or a simple overhand
      knot on a bight.

      Pass the loop end of the strap around the tree, pass the
      free end through the loop, and tighten the strap around the
      tree. You can take up excess slack using multiple turns
      around the trunk.

      Pass the strap through the buckles, just as you would for a
      double-D-ring belt buckle. (Up through both rings, over the
      top ring, then back out through the bottom ring.) Slide the
      straps in the buckles to adjust the hammock.

      That's all there is to it.

      The system can be made with no sewing or tools. It uses a
      minimum amount of strapping but gets the maximum
      adaptablility for trunk thickness. The adjusting rings act
      as drip rings, and are positioned the same distance from the
      hammock end every time. This means you can guarantee that
      they'll land under your tarp, no matter how far apart the
      trees are.

      It's always a thrilling moment when I first creak down into
      a newly-tied hanging system. The first time I sat into this
      one, one end slid almost entirely out, stopped only by the
      slight bump at the end of the strap where I heat-seamed it
      after cutting it. After that, I paid attention to how the
      rings were tied, so as to allow them to move freely enough
      to clamp down on the strapping. That fixed the problem.

      Bear
    • Jerry Goller
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 11, 2005
        The one I built used the large aluminum gear rings from REI on one end and a
        small ring as you described on the other. I just sewed them on with a loop
        and bar tack. I used 2" polypro webbing because is is lighter, hydrophobic,
        and has minimum stretch. The small ring would pass through the large ring. I
        used two Kong medium sized gear caribiners on the hammock so I could just
        clip it on the rings.

        To adjust it I just kept sliding the strap around the tree like a barber
        pole. I was using it on a Hennessy so it didn't have to be super tight. My
        weight caused the strap to bight on the tree.

        The only problem I had was with pine trees. The pine pitch made it mildly
        difficult to "barber pole" the strap around the tree due to it's stickiness.
        Unfortunately, pine trees are what we have most...lol.

        But it does definitely work well for someone as lazy as I am.... ;o)

        Jerry

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 11, 2005
          Pictures? Having a hard time visualizing.

          mike
        • Jerry Goller
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 11, 2005
            From who...me?

            Jerry

            Pictures? Having a hard time visualizing.

            mike

            _____

            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          • w_pa_hiker
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 11, 2005
              From David

              mike

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Goller" <jerrygoller@b...> wrote:
              > From who...me?
              >
              > Jerry
              >

              > <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/> http://www.BackpackGearTest.org : the
              > most comprehensive interactive gear reviews and tests on the planet.

            • David Chinell
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 12, 2005
                Whether he means Jerry or me (Bear) can anyone point me to
                instructions for posting pictures? I took some quick shots
                this morning with a cheapie little add-on to my Palm. They
                might help.

                Bear