Re: Newbie

  • zippydooda
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 11, 2005
      Congrats on making a hammock. There's something rewarding about
      spending just 10-15 bucks and making a really comfortable place to
      sleep with your own two little hands.

      I like the slickiness of the ripstop. I think that the polyester was
      just something that Risk could find for cheap. I think the slickiness
      of the ripstop makes it easier for me to move around and get
      comfortable. Mine is double layered and I use a closed cell pad, so I
      don't have some of the concerns with a slippery fabric that a person in
      a single layer hammock wrestling with a thermarest might have.

      Put a closed-cell pad under ya and you'll make it to the low 40's
      easily.

      Bill in Houston

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "w_pa_hiker" <hiking@w...> wrote:

      > Built a hammock while hiking this weekend - Rick's test hammock -
      > worked great! The temps were a little to low to sleep overnight (low
      > 40's) but had a great mid-day nap! Figure next time I'll try it with
      > my blue kazzoo - too warm of a bag for a tent, but may work out fine
      > in a hammock.
      >
      > Ed's version called for rip-stop nylon, Rick's version called for
      > woven polyester - any real difference between the two? I made Rick's
      > version with the rip-stop nylon, was curious if the woven polyester
      > would have been any different?
      >
      > mike
    • w_pa_hiker
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 11, 2005

        > Congrats on making a hammock. There's something rewarding about
        > spending just 10-15 bucks and making a really comfortable place to
        > sleep with your own two little hands.

        Agreed, but that's the woodworker in me too - love working with my hands.

        > Mine is double layered and I use a closed cell pad, so I
        > don't have some of the concerns with a slippery fabric that a person in
        > a single layer hammock wrestling with a thermarest might have.
        >
        > Put a closed-cell pad under ya and you'll make it to the low 40's
        > easily.
        >
        > Bill in Houston

        Double layer? Guessing...rip-stop outer, foam in the middle, something
        else up against you? What would that innermost layer be?

        mike
      • zippydooda
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 11, 2005
          Two layers of 1.1 oz ripstop, inside and outside. But, I guess you
          could easily put something different on the inside or outside. I put
          my closed cell pad in between them. I think that foam in between my
          layers would get compressed, but that's just a function of how my
          hammock is made, rather than an indictment of foam.

          wrote:

          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "zippydooda"
          <zippydooda@y...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Congrats on making a hammock. There's something rewarding about
          > > spending just 10-15 bucks and making a really comfortable place
          > > sleep with your own two little hands.
          >
          > Agreed, but that's the woodworker in me too - love working with my
          hands.

          > > Mine is double layered and I use a closed cell pad, so I
          > > don't have some of the concerns with a slippery fabric that a
          person in
          > > a single layer hammock wrestling with a thermarest might have.
          > >
          > > Put a closed-cell pad under ya and you'll make it to the low 40's
          > > easily.
          > >
          > > Bill in Houston
          >
          > Double layer? Guessing...rip-stop outer, foam in the middle,
          something
          > else up against you? What would that innermost layer be?
          >
          > mike
        • jwj32542
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 11, 2005

            Risk's: http://www.imrisk.com/zhammock/zhammock.htm

            Mine: http://www.geocities.com/jwj32542/HomemadeGear.html
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 11, 2005
              That is some neat stuff.

              Youngblood

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 12, 2005

                > That is some neat stuff.

                Risk makes lots of neat stuff.

                I just came up with an idea for a "Bottom Entry Speer" that I'm
                halfway through with.

                I'll post it when I'm done. I think it'll weigh more than both the HH
                and Speer, but it's just a prototype at this point.

                Jeff
              • zippydooda
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 15, 2005
                  Great site. You look like a fun Dad. I just started getting my kids
                  into backpacking (we've been car camping for a while) and I hope to
                  have some great adventures.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 16, 2005

                    > Great site. You look like a fun Dad. I just started getting my
                    kids
                    > into backpacking (we've been car camping for a while) and I hope to
                    > have some great adventures.

                    Thanks...once I get more info on there, I'll worry about dressing it
                    up to look nice. Right now I just add stuff as I can.

                    Kids are so much fun to hike and camp with. Just by their curiosity,
                    everything I didn't know I took for granted pops out at me when they
                    notice something new.

                    Hope your kids enjoy it as much as mine!

                    Jeff