Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: Newbie

Expand Messages
  • Dave Womble
    ... Mike, Glad you re enjoying your hammock. The hammock fabric will probably effect how the hammock feels to you. The same is true with hammock dimensions,
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 11, 2005
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "w_pa_hiker" <hiking@w...> wrote:
      >
      > Built a hammock while hiking this weekend - Rick's test hammock -
      > worked great! The temps were a little to low to sleep overnight (low
      > 40's) but had a great mid-day nap! Figure next time I'll try it with
      > my blue kazzoo - too warm of a bag for a tent, but may work out fine
      > in a hammock.
      >
      > Ed's version called for rip-stop nylon, Rick's version called for
      > woven polyester - any real difference between the two? I made Rick's
      > version with the rip-stop nylon, was curious if the woven polyester
      > would have been any different?
      >
      > mike

      Mike,

      Glad you're enjoying your hammock. The hammock fabric will probably
      effect how the hammock feels to you. The same is true with hammock
      dimensions, how you hang your hammock (the amount of sag and slope) and
      how you lay in your hammock. While there are some generalizations
      about this, what matters is how the hammock feels to you... if you are
      happy with it, then it is fine.

      Youngblood
    • zippydooda
      Congrats on making a hammock. There s something rewarding about spending just 10-15 bucks and making a really comfortable place to sleep with your own two
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 11, 2005
        Congrats on making a hammock. There's something rewarding about
        spending just 10-15 bucks and making a really comfortable place to
        sleep with your own two little hands.

        I like the slickiness of the ripstop. I think that the polyester was
        just something that Risk could find for cheap. I think the slickiness
        of the ripstop makes it easier for me to move around and get
        comfortable. Mine is double layered and I use a closed cell pad, so I
        don't have some of the concerns with a slippery fabric that a person in
        a single layer hammock wrestling with a thermarest might have.

        Put a closed-cell pad under ya and you'll make it to the low 40's
        easily.

        Bill in Houston

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "w_pa_hiker" <hiking@w...> wrote:
        >
        > Built a hammock while hiking this weekend - Rick's test hammock -
        > worked great! The temps were a little to low to sleep overnight (low
        > 40's) but had a great mid-day nap! Figure next time I'll try it with
        > my blue kazzoo - too warm of a bag for a tent, but may work out fine
        > in a hammock.
        >
        > Ed's version called for rip-stop nylon, Rick's version called for
        > woven polyester - any real difference between the two? I made Rick's
        > version with the rip-stop nylon, was curious if the woven polyester
        > would have been any different?
        >
        > mike
      • w_pa_hiker
        ... Agreed, but that s the woodworker in me too - love working with my hands. ... Double layer? Guessing...rip-stop outer, foam in the middle, something else
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 11, 2005
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "zippydooda" <zippydooda@y...>
          wrote:
          >
          > Congrats on making a hammock. There's something rewarding about
          > spending just 10-15 bucks and making a really comfortable place to
          > sleep with your own two little hands.

          Agreed, but that's the woodworker in me too - love working with my hands.

          > Mine is double layered and I use a closed cell pad, so I
          > don't have some of the concerns with a slippery fabric that a person in
          > a single layer hammock wrestling with a thermarest might have.
          >
          > Put a closed-cell pad under ya and you'll make it to the low 40's
          > easily.
          >
          > Bill in Houston

          Double layer? Guessing...rip-stop outer, foam in the middle, something
          else up against you? What would that innermost layer be?

          mike
        • zippydooda
          Two layers of 1.1 oz ripstop, inside and outside. But, I guess you could easily put something different on the inside or outside. I put my closed cell pad in
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 11, 2005
            Two layers of 1.1 oz ripstop, inside and outside. But, I guess you
            could easily put something different on the inside or outside. I put
            my closed cell pad in between them. I think that foam in between my
            layers would get compressed, but that's just a function of how my
            hammock is made, rather than an indictment of foam.

            Bill in Houston

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "w_pa_hiker" <hiking@w...>
            wrote:
            >
            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "zippydooda"
            <zippydooda@y...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Congrats on making a hammock. There's something rewarding about
            > > spending just 10-15 bucks and making a really comfortable place
            to
            > > sleep with your own two little hands.
            >
            > Agreed, but that's the woodworker in me too - love working with my
            hands.
            >
            > > Mine is double layered and I use a closed cell pad, so I
            > > don't have some of the concerns with a slippery fabric that a
            person in
            > > a single layer hammock wrestling with a thermarest might have.
            > >
            > > Put a closed-cell pad under ya and you'll make it to the low 40's
            > > easily.
            > >
            > > Bill in Houston
            >
            > Double layer? Guessing...rip-stop outer, foam in the middle,
            something
            > else up against you? What would that innermost layer be?
            >
            > mike
          • jwj32542
            ... something ... Risk s: http://www.imrisk.com/zhammock/zhammock.htm Mine: http://www.geocities.com/jwj32542/HomemadeGear.html
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 11, 2005
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "w_pa_hiker" <hiking@w...>
              wrote:
              > Double layer? Guessing...rip-stop outer, foam in the middle,
              something
              > else up against you? What would that innermost layer be?

              Risk's: http://www.imrisk.com/zhammock/zhammock.htm

              Mine: http://www.geocities.com/jwj32542/HomemadeGear.html
            • Dave Womble
              That is some neat stuff. Youngblood
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 11, 2005
                That is some neat stuff.

                Youngblood

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jwj32542" <jwj32542@y...> wrote:
                >
                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "w_pa_hiker" <hiking@w...>
                > wrote:
                > > Double layer? Guessing...rip-stop outer, foam in the middle,
                > something
                > > else up against you? What would that innermost layer be?
                >
                > Risk's: http://www.imrisk.com/zhammock/zhammock.htm
                >
                > Mine: http://www.geocities.com/jwj32542/HomemadeGear.html
              • jwj32542
                ... Risk makes lots of neat stuff. I just came up with an idea for a Bottom Entry Speer that I m halfway through with. I ll post it when I m done. I think
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 12, 2005
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble" <dpwomble@y...>
                  wrote:
                  >
                  > That is some neat stuff.

                  Risk makes lots of neat stuff.

                  I just came up with an idea for a "Bottom Entry Speer" that I'm
                  halfway through with.

                  I'll post it when I'm done. I think it'll weigh more than both the HH
                  and Speer, but it's just a prototype at this point.

                  Jeff
                • zippydooda
                  Great site. You look like a fun Dad. I just started getting my kids into backpacking (we ve been car camping for a while) and I hope to have some great
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 15, 2005
                    Great site. You look like a fun Dad. I just started getting my kids
                    into backpacking (we've been car camping for a while) and I hope to
                    have some great adventures.

                    Bill in Houston

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jwj32542" <jwj32542@y...> wrote:
                    >
                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "w_pa_hiker" <hiking@w...>
                    > wrote:
                    > > Double layer? Guessing...rip-stop outer, foam in the middle,
                    > something
                    > > else up against you? What would that innermost layer be?
                    >
                    > Risk's: http://www.imrisk.com/zhammock/zhammock.htm
                    >
                    > Mine: http://www.geocities.com/jwj32542/HomemadeGear.html
                  • jwj32542
                    ... kids ... Thanks...once I get more info on there, I ll worry about dressing it up to look nice. Right now I just add stuff as I can. Kids are so much fun
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 16, 2005
                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "zippydooda" <zippydooda@y...>
                      wrote:
                      >
                      > Great site. You look like a fun Dad. I just started getting my
                      kids
                      > into backpacking (we've been car camping for a while) and I hope to
                      > have some great adventures.

                      Thanks...once I get more info on there, I'll worry about dressing it
                      up to look nice. Right now I just add stuff as I can.

                      Kids are so much fun to hike and camp with. Just by their curiosity,
                      everything I didn't know I took for granted pops out at me when they
                      notice something new.

                      Hope your kids enjoy it as much as mine!

                      Jeff
                    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.