Newbie

  • w_pa_hiker
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 11, 2005
      Built a hammock while hiking this weekend - Rick's test hammock -
      worked great! The temps were a little to low to sleep overnight (low
      40's) but had a great mid-day nap! Figure next time I'll try it with
      my blue kazzoo - too warm of a bag for a tent, but may work out fine
      in a hammock.

      Ed's version called for rip-stop nylon, Rick's version called for
      woven polyester - any real difference between the two? I made Rick's
      version with the rip-stop nylon, was curious if the woven polyester
      would have been any different?

      mike
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 11, 2005
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "w_pa_hiker" <hiking@w...> wrote:

        > Built a hammock while hiking this weekend - Rick's test hammock -
        > worked great! The temps were a little to low to sleep overnight (low
        > 40's) but had a great mid-day nap! Figure next time I'll try it with
        > my blue kazzoo - too warm of a bag for a tent, but may work out fine
        > in a hammock.
        >
        > Ed's version called for rip-stop nylon, Rick's version called for
        > woven polyester - any real difference between the two? I made Rick's
        > version with the rip-stop nylon, was curious if the woven polyester
        > would have been any different?
        >
        > mike

        Mike,

        Glad you're enjoying your hammock. The hammock fabric will probably
        effect how the hammock feels to you. The same is true with hammock
        dimensions, how you hang your hammock (the amount of sag and slope) and
        how you lay in your hammock. While there are some generalizations
        about this, what matters is how the hammock feels to you... if you are
        happy with it, then it is fine.

        Youngblood
      • zippydooda
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 11, 2005
          Congrats on making a hammock. There's something rewarding about
          spending just 10-15 bucks and making a really comfortable place to
          sleep with your own two little hands.

          I like the slickiness of the ripstop. I think that the polyester was
          just something that Risk could find for cheap. I think the slickiness
          of the ripstop makes it easier for me to move around and get
          comfortable. Mine is double layered and I use a closed cell pad, so I
          don't have some of the concerns with a slippery fabric that a person in
          a single layer hammock wrestling with a thermarest might have.

          Put a closed-cell pad under ya and you'll make it to the low 40's
          easily.

          Bill in Houston

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "w_pa_hiker" <hiking@w...> wrote:

          > Built a hammock while hiking this weekend - Rick's test hammock -
          > worked great! The temps were a little to low to sleep overnight (low
          > 40's) but had a great mid-day nap! Figure next time I'll try it with
          > my blue kazzoo - too warm of a bag for a tent, but may work out fine
          > in a hammock.
          >
          > Ed's version called for rip-stop nylon, Rick's version called for
          > woven polyester - any real difference between the two? I made Rick's
          > version with the rip-stop nylon, was curious if the woven polyester
          > would have been any different?
          >
          > mike
        • w_pa_hiker
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 11, 2005

            > Congrats on making a hammock. There's something rewarding about
            > spending just 10-15 bucks and making a really comfortable place to
            > sleep with your own two little hands.

            Agreed, but that's the woodworker in me too - love working with my hands.

            > Mine is double layered and I use a closed cell pad, so I
            > don't have some of the concerns with a slippery fabric that a person in
            > a single layer hammock wrestling with a thermarest might have.
            >
            > Put a closed-cell pad under ya and you'll make it to the low 40's
            > easily.
            >
            > Bill in Houston

            Double layer? Guessing...rip-stop outer, foam in the middle, something
            else up against you? What would that innermost layer be?

            mike
          • zippydooda
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 11, 2005
              Two layers of 1.1 oz ripstop, inside and outside. But, I guess you
              could easily put something different on the inside or outside. I put
              my closed cell pad in between them. I think that foam in between my
              layers would get compressed, but that's just a function of how my
              hammock is made, rather than an indictment of foam.

              Bill in Houston

              wrote:

              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "zippydooda"
              <zippydooda@y...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Congrats on making a hammock. There's something rewarding about
              > > spending just 10-15 bucks and making a really comfortable place
              > > sleep with your own two little hands.
              >
              > Agreed, but that's the woodworker in me too - love working with my
              hands.

              > > Mine is double layered and I use a closed cell pad, so I
              > > don't have some of the concerns with a slippery fabric that a
              person in
              > > a single layer hammock wrestling with a thermarest might have.
              > >
              > > Put a closed-cell pad under ya and you'll make it to the low 40's
              > > easily.
              > >
              > > Bill in Houston
              >
              > Double layer? Guessing...rip-stop outer, foam in the middle,
              something
              > else up against you? What would that innermost layer be?
              >
              > mike
            • jwj32542
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 11, 2005

                Risk's: http://www.imrisk.com/zhammock/zhammock.htm

                Mine: http://www.geocities.com/jwj32542/HomemadeGear.html
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 11, 2005
                  That is some neat stuff.

                  Youngblood

                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 12, 2005

                    > That is some neat stuff.

                    Risk makes lots of neat stuff.

                    I just came up with an idea for a "Bottom Entry Speer" that I'm
                    halfway through with.

                    I'll post it when I'm done. I think it'll weigh more than both the HH
                    and Speer, but it's just a prototype at this point.

                    Jeff
                  • zippydooda
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 15, 2005
                      Great site. You look like a fun Dad. I just started getting my kids
                      into backpacking (we've been car camping for a while) and I hope to
                      have some great adventures.

                      Bill in Houston

                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 16, 2005

                        > Great site. You look like a fun Dad. I just started getting my
                        kids
                        > into backpacking (we've been car camping for a while) and I hope to
                        > have some great adventures.

                        Thanks...once I get more info on there, I'll worry about dressing it
                        up to look nice. Right now I just add stuff as I can.

                        Kids are so much fun to hike and camp with. Just by their curiosity,
                        everything I didn't know I took for granted pops out at me when they
                        notice something new.

                        Hope your kids enjoy it as much as mine!

                        Jeff