[Hammock Camping] Re: Knot photos in group's photo album

  • Rat
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 11, 2005
      More knots...

      I posted more knots today.

      Trucker's Hitch (with a knot variant)
      Timber Hitch
      Farmer's Hitch

      I will clean up the others also (the originals) to make them easier to
      read.

      Rat
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 11, 2005
        Rat,

        I was looking at the Exploding Clove Hitch and tied it off. It
        looked to me that for hammockers, that it would be applicable for
        similar applications as the Bowline with a Slip Loop, or quick
        release ( http://www.junglehammock.com/tips.php & Page Down about 3
        times). But, I noticed that after the Exploding Clove Hitch is loaded
        that it is much more difficult to untie. Am I missing something...
        seems like either knot should have sufficient holding power for tarp
        ridgelines or hammock suspension lines? Anyway, as you know, being
        able to easily untie knots is important... sometimes the difference
        between great gear and gear that is a piece of @#%& is whether or not
        you can untie it from the trees in the morning <grin>.

        Youngblood

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rat" <hogn8r2004@y...> wrote:

        > More knots...
        >
        > I posted more knots today.
        >
        > Trucker's Hitch (with a knot variant)
        > Timber Hitch
        > Farmer's Hitch
        >
        > I will clean up the others also (the originals) to make them easier
        > read.
        >
        > Rat
      • Rat
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 11, 2005
          Youngblood,

          Both the Exploding Clove hitch and the Slipped Bowline will work to
          suspend a ridgeline or a Hammock. Although I wouldn't suspend my
          Hammock with the Expl. Clove, it could work loose when the Hammock
          isn't occupied. Then when you set/lay down in it it would dump you.

          Both of these are difficult to untie when extremely loaded, like if
          you are lying in the hammock for example. I just use the Expl. Clove
          on my ridge line because it is quick and easy, and I think it is
          easier to adjust the loop size before you cinch it down than the
          Slipped Bowline. Plus it has double the holding power (double
          hitched) than the Slipped Bowline. Of course you could always use a
          Slipped Water Bowline to accomplish the same thing, but that would
          be more difficult to tie and still be a beast to untie under a load.

          I use the Expl. Clove on one end of my ridge line and a Trucker's
          Hitch on the other. When I break camp I untie the Trucker's and
          wimper the Expl. Clove, this way I never need to untie it under
          extreme tension.

          Rat

          > Rat,
          >
          > I was looking at the Exploding Clove Hitch and tied it off. It
          > looked to me that for hammockers, that it would be applicable for
          > similar applications as the Bowline with a Slip Loop, or quick
          > release ( http://www.junglehammock.com/tips.php & Page Down about
          3
          > times). But, I noticed that after the Exploding Clove Hitch is
          loaded
          > that it is much more difficult to untie. Am I missing
          something...
          > seems like either knot should have sufficient holding power for
          tarp
          > ridgelines or hammock suspension lines? Anyway, as you know,
          being
          > able to easily untie knots is important... sometimes the
          difference
          > between great gear and gear that is a piece of @#%& is whether or
          not
          > you can untie it from the trees in the morning <grin>.
          >
          > Youngblood
        • Rat
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 11, 2005
            I also put up two more knots
            The Driver's Hitch, a superior Trucker's Hitch, but still a Hitch.
            and I rebuilt the Highwayman Hitch so it is easier to see and read.

            Rat

            P.S. If you see anything wrong with these knot instructions please let
            me know. I have been known to mess 'em up in the past, JOAT usually
            kept me in line tho. I just don't want some one to get hurt because I
            put up bad knot info.
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 11, 2005
              Rat,

              I've never had the Slipped Bowline give me any trouble on hammock
              suspension line or my ridgeline. I use a home make Speer with low
              friction, hollow braid poly line for the hammock suspension line and
              it easily slips the knot when it is unloaded.

              On my tarp ridgeline I use the Slipped Bowline for the first tree and
              then use Ed Speers Four Wrap Method on the second, smaller tree,
              finished off with 2 half hitches. The Four Wrap Method (or 2 or 3
              wraps if the tree is larger) allows me to tie it while the line is
              taut and is easy to untie, especially if you finish off the 2nd half
              hitch with a slip loop.

              Knots are kind of neat aren't they? You can't always use your
              preferred knots and need backup plans. If I don't have enough line
              for the Four Wrap Method I will use a Slipped Bowline for both tarp
              ridgelines and then work the Taut Line Knots that I use to attach the
              ridgeline to the tarp to get the tarp taut. The Four Wrap Method
              comes in handy when the spacing between trees isn't much more than
              the length of the tarp and in those cases I will use the Four Wrap
              Method for both knots. (I guess I'm using somewhat of a logic diagram
              for which knot to use in what condition.)

              I am switching to the Highwayman Hitch to suspend some of my stuff
              sacks to my hammock suspension line or tarp ridgeline. It holds
              better than the Slip Clove Hitch I was using and I have more
              confidence in it holding all night during high winds. Thanks for the
              work you are doing.

              Youngblood