[Hammock Camping] Re: Knot photos in group's photo album

  • Rat
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 10, 2005
      Okay, a new collection, Knots by Rat,

      y+Rat&.src=gr&.view=

      Contains the following knots:
      Bowline
      Bowline Sailors Way
      Butterfly
      butterfly Sailors Way
      Figure 8 on a Bight
      Highwayman hitch
      Mooring Hitch
      Taughtline Hitch

      Tomorrow I will put up a Truckers Hitch and Timber Hitch.

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Ted Wagner <trwagner1@y...>
      wrote:
      > Rat,
      >
      > Great photos! I would suggest making a folder just
      > for Knots in the photo album so they are easy to find.
      > ;)
      >
      > requests.... timber hitch
    • Rat
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 11, 2005
        More knots...

        I posted more knots today.

        Trucker's Hitch (with a knot variant)
        Timber Hitch
        Farmer's Hitch

        I will clean up the others also (the originals) to make them easier to
        read.

        Rat
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 11, 2005
          Rat,

          I was looking at the Exploding Clove Hitch and tied it off. It
          looked to me that for hammockers, that it would be applicable for
          similar applications as the Bowline with a Slip Loop, or quick
          release ( http://www.junglehammock.com/tips.php & Page Down about 3
          times). But, I noticed that after the Exploding Clove Hitch is loaded
          that it is much more difficult to untie. Am I missing something...
          seems like either knot should have sufficient holding power for tarp
          ridgelines or hammock suspension lines? Anyway, as you know, being
          able to easily untie knots is important... sometimes the difference
          between great gear and gear that is a piece of @#%& is whether or not
          you can untie it from the trees in the morning <grin>.

          Youngblood

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rat" <hogn8r2004@y...> wrote:

          > More knots...
          >
          > I posted more knots today.
          >
          > Trucker's Hitch (with a knot variant)
          > Timber Hitch
          > Farmer's Hitch
          >
          > I will clean up the others also (the originals) to make them easier
          > read.
          >
          > Rat
        • Rat
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 11, 2005
            Youngblood,

            Both the Exploding Clove hitch and the Slipped Bowline will work to
            suspend a ridgeline or a Hammock. Although I wouldn't suspend my
            Hammock with the Expl. Clove, it could work loose when the Hammock
            isn't occupied. Then when you set/lay down in it it would dump you.

            Both of these are difficult to untie when extremely loaded, like if
            you are lying in the hammock for example. I just use the Expl. Clove
            on my ridge line because it is quick and easy, and I think it is
            easier to adjust the loop size before you cinch it down than the
            Slipped Bowline. Plus it has double the holding power (double
            hitched) than the Slipped Bowline. Of course you could always use a
            Slipped Water Bowline to accomplish the same thing, but that would
            be more difficult to tie and still be a beast to untie under a load.

            I use the Expl. Clove on one end of my ridge line and a Trucker's
            Hitch on the other. When I break camp I untie the Trucker's and
            wimper the Expl. Clove, this way I never need to untie it under
            extreme tension.

            Rat

            > Rat,
            >
            > I was looking at the Exploding Clove Hitch and tied it off. It
            > looked to me that for hammockers, that it would be applicable for
            > similar applications as the Bowline with a Slip Loop, or quick
            > release ( http://www.junglehammock.com/tips.php & Page Down about
            3
            > times). But, I noticed that after the Exploding Clove Hitch is
            loaded
            > that it is much more difficult to untie. Am I missing
            something...
            > seems like either knot should have sufficient holding power for
            tarp
            > ridgelines or hammock suspension lines? Anyway, as you know,
            being
            > able to easily untie knots is important... sometimes the
            difference
            > between great gear and gear that is a piece of @#%& is whether or
            not
            > you can untie it from the trees in the morning <grin>.
            >
            > Youngblood
          • Rat
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 11, 2005
              I also put up two more knots
              The Driver's Hitch, a superior Trucker's Hitch, but still a Hitch.
              and I rebuilt the Highwayman Hitch so it is easier to see and read.

              Rat

              P.S. If you see anything wrong with these knot instructions please let
              me know. I have been known to mess 'em up in the past, JOAT usually
              kept me in line tho. I just don't want some one to get hurt because I
              put up bad knot info.
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 11, 2005
                Rat,

                I've never had the Slipped Bowline give me any trouble on hammock
                suspension line or my ridgeline. I use a home make Speer with low
                friction, hollow braid poly line for the hammock suspension line and
                it easily slips the knot when it is unloaded.

                On my tarp ridgeline I use the Slipped Bowline for the first tree and
                then use Ed Speers Four Wrap Method on the second, smaller tree,
                finished off with 2 half hitches. The Four Wrap Method (or 2 or 3
                wraps if the tree is larger) allows me to tie it while the line is
                taut and is easy to untie, especially if you finish off the 2nd half
                hitch with a slip loop.

                Knots are kind of neat aren't they? You can't always use your
                preferred knots and need backup plans. If I don't have enough line
                for the Four Wrap Method I will use a Slipped Bowline for both tarp
                ridgelines and then work the Taut Line Knots that I use to attach the
                ridgeline to the tarp to get the tarp taut. The Four Wrap Method
                comes in handy when the spacing between trees isn't much more than
                the length of the tarp and in those cases I will use the Four Wrap
                Method for both knots. (I guess I'm using somewhat of a logic diagram
                for which knot to use in what condition.)

                I am switching to the Highwayman Hitch to suspend some of my stuff
                sacks to my hammock suspension line or tarp ridgeline. It holds
                better than the Slip Clove Hitch I was using and I have more
                confidence in it holding all night during high winds. Thanks for the
                work you are doing.

                Youngblood