[Hammock Camping] Re: Knot photos in group's photo album

    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 9, 2005
      Rat,

      I had seen you knot photos a while back but just now tried the
      highwayman knot. I like it... holds much better than the clove hitch
      with quick release that I had been using to hang stuff sacks to my
      hammock suspension rope.

      Youngblood
    • Rat
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 10, 2005
        Okay, a new collection, Knots by Rat,

        y+Rat&.src=gr&.view=

        Contains the following knots:
        Bowline
        Bowline Sailors Way
        Butterfly
        butterfly Sailors Way
        Figure 8 on a Bight
        Highwayman hitch
        Mooring Hitch
        Taughtline Hitch

        Tomorrow I will put up a Truckers Hitch and Timber Hitch.

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Ted Wagner <trwagner1@y...>
        wrote:
        > Rat,
        >
        > Great photos! I would suggest making a folder just
        > for Knots in the photo album so they are easy to find.
        > ;)
        >
        > requests.... timber hitch
      • Rat
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 11, 2005
          More knots...

          I posted more knots today.

          Trucker's Hitch (with a knot variant)
          Timber Hitch
          Farmer's Hitch

          I will clean up the others also (the originals) to make them easier to
          read.

          Rat
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 11, 2005
            Rat,

            I was looking at the Exploding Clove Hitch and tied it off. It
            looked to me that for hammockers, that it would be applicable for
            similar applications as the Bowline with a Slip Loop, or quick
            release ( http://www.junglehammock.com/tips.php & Page Down about 3
            times). But, I noticed that after the Exploding Clove Hitch is loaded
            that it is much more difficult to untie. Am I missing something...
            seems like either knot should have sufficient holding power for tarp
            ridgelines or hammock suspension lines? Anyway, as you know, being
            able to easily untie knots is important... sometimes the difference
            between great gear and gear that is a piece of @#%& is whether or not
            you can untie it from the trees in the morning <grin>.

            Youngblood

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rat" <hogn8r2004@y...> wrote:

            > More knots...
            >
            > I posted more knots today.
            >
            > Trucker's Hitch (with a knot variant)
            > Timber Hitch
            > Farmer's Hitch
            >
            > I will clean up the others also (the originals) to make them easier
            > read.
            >
            > Rat
          • Rat
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 11, 2005
              Youngblood,

              Both the Exploding Clove hitch and the Slipped Bowline will work to
              suspend a ridgeline or a Hammock. Although I wouldn't suspend my
              Hammock with the Expl. Clove, it could work loose when the Hammock
              isn't occupied. Then when you set/lay down in it it would dump you.

              Both of these are difficult to untie when extremely loaded, like if
              you are lying in the hammock for example. I just use the Expl. Clove
              on my ridge line because it is quick and easy, and I think it is
              easier to adjust the loop size before you cinch it down than the
              Slipped Bowline. Plus it has double the holding power (double
              hitched) than the Slipped Bowline. Of course you could always use a
              Slipped Water Bowline to accomplish the same thing, but that would
              be more difficult to tie and still be a beast to untie under a load.

              I use the Expl. Clove on one end of my ridge line and a Trucker's
              Hitch on the other. When I break camp I untie the Trucker's and
              wimper the Expl. Clove, this way I never need to untie it under
              extreme tension.

              Rat

              > Rat,
              >
              > I was looking at the Exploding Clove Hitch and tied it off. It
              > looked to me that for hammockers, that it would be applicable for
              > similar applications as the Bowline with a Slip Loop, or quick
              > release ( http://www.junglehammock.com/tips.php & Page Down about
              3
              > times). But, I noticed that after the Exploding Clove Hitch is
              loaded
              > that it is much more difficult to untie. Am I missing
              something...
              > seems like either knot should have sufficient holding power for
              tarp
              > ridgelines or hammock suspension lines? Anyway, as you know,
              being
              > able to easily untie knots is important... sometimes the
              difference
              > between great gear and gear that is a piece of @#%& is whether or
              not
              > you can untie it from the trees in the morning <grin>.
              >
              > Youngblood
            • Rat
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 11, 2005
                I also put up two more knots
                The Driver's Hitch, a superior Trucker's Hitch, but still a Hitch.
                and I rebuilt the Highwayman Hitch so it is easier to see and read.

                Rat

                P.S. If you see anything wrong with these knot instructions please let
                me know. I have been known to mess 'em up in the past, JOAT usually
                kept me in line tho. I just don't want some one to get hurt because I
                put up bad knot info.
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 11, 2005
                  Rat,

                  I've never had the Slipped Bowline give me any trouble on hammock
                  suspension line or my ridgeline. I use a home make Speer with low
                  friction, hollow braid poly line for the hammock suspension line and
                  it easily slips the knot when it is unloaded.

                  On my tarp ridgeline I use the Slipped Bowline for the first tree and
                  then use Ed Speers Four Wrap Method on the second, smaller tree,
                  finished off with 2 half hitches. The Four Wrap Method (or 2 or 3
                  wraps if the tree is larger) allows me to tie it while the line is
                  taut and is easy to untie, especially if you finish off the 2nd half
                  hitch with a slip loop.

                  Knots are kind of neat aren't they? You can't always use your
                  preferred knots and need backup plans. If I don't have enough line
                  for the Four Wrap Method I will use a Slipped Bowline for both tarp
                  ridgelines and then work the Taut Line Knots that I use to attach the
                  ridgeline to the tarp to get the tarp taut. The Four Wrap Method
                  comes in handy when the spacing between trees isn't much more than
                  the length of the tarp and in those cases I will use the Four Wrap
                  Method for both knots. (I guess I'm using somewhat of a logic diagram
                  for which knot to use in what condition.)

                  I am switching to the Highwayman Hitch to suspend some of my stuff
                  sacks to my hammock suspension line or tarp ridgeline. It holds
                  better than the Slip Clove Hitch I was using and I have more
                  confidence in it holding all night during high winds. Thanks for the
                  work you are doing.

                  Youngblood