[Hammock Camping] Re: Knot photos in group's photo album

  • Rat
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 9, 2005

      > People like you are what makes the internet such a cool and useful
      > place. Thanks for your work.
      >
      > I don't have any particular requests, although if you posted the
      > butterfly knot (hitch wahtever) I would definitely refer to it.
      >
      > Bill in Houston

      Cool, I will post the Butterfly and the Taughtline hitch tomorrow
      (tonight for ya'll). I have never thought about putting them on my
      website, I'm just learning how to do all that stuff, but that might be
      kinda cool also.

      Rat
    • Ted Wagner
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 9, 2005
        Rat,

        Great photos! I would suggest making a folder just
        for Knots in the photo album so they are easy to find.
        ;)

        requests.... timber hitch

        See my progress (albeit slow) on my horseless carriage.
        http://www.trwagner.org/carriage/carriage.html

        Signal Corps: -- http://www.civilwarsignal.org/
        USMT -- http://www.unitedstatesmilitarytelegraph.org
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 9, 2005
          Rat,

          I had seen you knot photos a while back but just now tried the
          highwayman knot. I like it... holds much better than the clove hitch
          with quick release that I had been using to hang stuff sacks to my
          hammock suspension rope.

          Youngblood
        • Rat
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 10, 2005
            Okay, a new collection, Knots by Rat,

            y+Rat&.src=gr&.view=

            Contains the following knots:
            Bowline
            Bowline Sailors Way
            Butterfly
            butterfly Sailors Way
            Figure 8 on a Bight
            Highwayman hitch
            Mooring Hitch
            Taughtline Hitch

            Tomorrow I will put up a Truckers Hitch and Timber Hitch.

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Ted Wagner <trwagner1@y...>
            wrote:
            > Rat,
            >
            > Great photos! I would suggest making a folder just
            > for Knots in the photo album so they are easy to find.
            > ;)
            >
            > requests.... timber hitch
          • Rat
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 11, 2005
              More knots...

              I posted more knots today.

              Trucker's Hitch (with a knot variant)
              Timber Hitch
              Farmer's Hitch

              I will clean up the others also (the originals) to make them easier to
              read.

              Rat
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 11, 2005
                Rat,

                I was looking at the Exploding Clove Hitch and tied it off. It
                looked to me that for hammockers, that it would be applicable for
                similar applications as the Bowline with a Slip Loop, or quick
                release ( http://www.junglehammock.com/tips.php & Page Down about 3
                times). But, I noticed that after the Exploding Clove Hitch is loaded
                that it is much more difficult to untie. Am I missing something...
                seems like either knot should have sufficient holding power for tarp
                ridgelines or hammock suspension lines? Anyway, as you know, being
                able to easily untie knots is important... sometimes the difference
                between great gear and gear that is a piece of @#%& is whether or not
                you can untie it from the trees in the morning <grin>.

                Youngblood

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rat" <hogn8r2004@y...> wrote:

                > More knots...
                >
                > I posted more knots today.
                >
                > Trucker's Hitch (with a knot variant)
                > Timber Hitch
                > Farmer's Hitch
                >
                > I will clean up the others also (the originals) to make them easier
                > read.
                >
                > Rat
              • Rat
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 11, 2005
                  Youngblood,

                  Both the Exploding Clove hitch and the Slipped Bowline will work to
                  suspend a ridgeline or a Hammock. Although I wouldn't suspend my
                  Hammock with the Expl. Clove, it could work loose when the Hammock
                  isn't occupied. Then when you set/lay down in it it would dump you.

                  Both of these are difficult to untie when extremely loaded, like if
                  you are lying in the hammock for example. I just use the Expl. Clove
                  on my ridge line because it is quick and easy, and I think it is
                  easier to adjust the loop size before you cinch it down than the
                  Slipped Bowline. Plus it has double the holding power (double
                  hitched) than the Slipped Bowline. Of course you could always use a
                  Slipped Water Bowline to accomplish the same thing, but that would
                  be more difficult to tie and still be a beast to untie under a load.

                  I use the Expl. Clove on one end of my ridge line and a Trucker's
                  Hitch on the other. When I break camp I untie the Trucker's and
                  wimper the Expl. Clove, this way I never need to untie it under
                  extreme tension.

                  Rat

                  > Rat,
                  >
                  > I was looking at the Exploding Clove Hitch and tied it off. It
                  > looked to me that for hammockers, that it would be applicable for
                  > similar applications as the Bowline with a Slip Loop, or quick
                  > release ( http://www.junglehammock.com/tips.php & Page Down about
                  3
                  > times). But, I noticed that after the Exploding Clove Hitch is
                  loaded
                  > that it is much more difficult to untie. Am I missing
                  something...
                  > seems like either knot should have sufficient holding power for
                  tarp
                  > ridgelines or hammock suspension lines? Anyway, as you know,
                  being
                  > able to easily untie knots is important... sometimes the
                  difference
                  > between great gear and gear that is a piece of @#%& is whether or
                  not
                  > you can untie it from the trees in the morning <grin>.
                  >
                  > Youngblood
                • Rat
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 11, 2005
                    I also put up two more knots
                    The Driver's Hitch, a superior Trucker's Hitch, but still a Hitch.
                    and I rebuilt the Highwayman Hitch so it is easier to see and read.

                    Rat

                    P.S. If you see anything wrong with these knot instructions please let
                    me know. I have been known to mess 'em up in the past, JOAT usually
                    kept me in line tho. I just don't want some one to get hurt because I
                    put up bad knot info.
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 11, 2005
                      Rat,

                      I've never had the Slipped Bowline give me any trouble on hammock
                      suspension line or my ridgeline. I use a home make Speer with low
                      friction, hollow braid poly line for the hammock suspension line and
                      it easily slips the knot when it is unloaded.

                      On my tarp ridgeline I use the Slipped Bowline for the first tree and
                      then use Ed Speers Four Wrap Method on the second, smaller tree,
                      finished off with 2 half hitches. The Four Wrap Method (or 2 or 3
                      wraps if the tree is larger) allows me to tie it while the line is
                      taut and is easy to untie, especially if you finish off the 2nd half
                      hitch with a slip loop.

                      Knots are kind of neat aren't they? You can't always use your
                      preferred knots and need backup plans. If I don't have enough line
                      for the Four Wrap Method I will use a Slipped Bowline for both tarp
                      ridgelines and then work the Taut Line Knots that I use to attach the
                      ridgeline to the tarp to get the tarp taut. The Four Wrap Method
                      comes in handy when the spacing between trees isn't much more than
                      the length of the tarp and in those cases I will use the Four Wrap
                      Method for both knots. (I guess I'm using somewhat of a logic diagram
                      for which knot to use in what condition.)

                      I am switching to the Highwayman Hitch to suspend some of my stuff
                      sacks to my hammock suspension line or tarp ridgeline. It holds
                      better than the Slip Clove Hitch I was using and I have more
                      confidence in it holding all night during high winds. Thanks for the
                      work you are doing.

                      Youngblood