[Hammock Camping] Re: Knot photos in group's photo album

  • zippydooda
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 9, 2005
      People like you are what makes the internet such a cool and useful
      place. Thanks for your work.

      I don't have any particular requests, although if you posted the
      butterfly knot (hitch wahtever) I would definitely refer to it.

      Bill in Houston

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rat" <hogn8r2004@y...> wrote:

      > Guilty as charged. I've been meaning to put up some more. Now maybe I
      > have the motivation to get 'er done.
      >
      > Glad you liked them.
      >
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "zippydooda" <zippydooda@y...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Ya, it's nice work, isn't it? Hogn8r is a member here.
      > >
      > > Bill in Houston
    • Rat
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 9, 2005

        > People like you are what makes the internet such a cool and useful
        > place. Thanks for your work.
        >
        > I don't have any particular requests, although if you posted the
        > butterfly knot (hitch wahtever) I would definitely refer to it.
        >
        > Bill in Houston

        Cool, I will post the Butterfly and the Taughtline hitch tomorrow
        (tonight for ya'll). I have never thought about putting them on my
        website, I'm just learning how to do all that stuff, but that might be
        kinda cool also.

        Rat
      • Ted Wagner
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 9, 2005
          Rat,

          Great photos! I would suggest making a folder just
          for Knots in the photo album so they are easy to find.
          ;)

          requests.... timber hitch

          See my progress (albeit slow) on my horseless carriage.
          http://www.trwagner.org/carriage/carriage.html

          Signal Corps: -- http://www.civilwarsignal.org/
          USMT -- http://www.unitedstatesmilitarytelegraph.org
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 9, 2005
            Rat,

            I had seen you knot photos a while back but just now tried the
            highwayman knot. I like it... holds much better than the clove hitch
            with quick release that I had been using to hang stuff sacks to my
            hammock suspension rope.

            Youngblood
          • Rat
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 10, 2005
              Okay, a new collection, Knots by Rat,

              y+Rat&.src=gr&.view=

              Contains the following knots:
              Bowline
              Bowline Sailors Way
              Butterfly
              butterfly Sailors Way
              Figure 8 on a Bight
              Highwayman hitch
              Mooring Hitch
              Taughtline Hitch

              Tomorrow I will put up a Truckers Hitch and Timber Hitch.

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Ted Wagner <trwagner1@y...>
              wrote:
              > Rat,
              >
              > Great photos! I would suggest making a folder just
              > for Knots in the photo album so they are easy to find.
              > ;)
              >
              > requests.... timber hitch
            • Rat
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 11, 2005
                More knots...

                I posted more knots today.

                Trucker's Hitch (with a knot variant)
                Timber Hitch
                Farmer's Hitch

                I will clean up the others also (the originals) to make them easier to
                read.

                Rat
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 11, 2005
                  Rat,

                  I was looking at the Exploding Clove Hitch and tied it off. It
                  looked to me that for hammockers, that it would be applicable for
                  similar applications as the Bowline with a Slip Loop, or quick
                  release ( http://www.junglehammock.com/tips.php & Page Down about 3
                  times). But, I noticed that after the Exploding Clove Hitch is loaded
                  that it is much more difficult to untie. Am I missing something...
                  seems like either knot should have sufficient holding power for tarp
                  ridgelines or hammock suspension lines? Anyway, as you know, being
                  able to easily untie knots is important... sometimes the difference
                  between great gear and gear that is a piece of @#%& is whether or not
                  you can untie it from the trees in the morning <grin>.

                  Youngblood

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rat" <hogn8r2004@y...> wrote:

                  > More knots...
                  >
                  > I posted more knots today.
                  >
                  > Trucker's Hitch (with a knot variant)
                  > Timber Hitch
                  > Farmer's Hitch
                  >
                  > I will clean up the others also (the originals) to make them easier
                  > read.
                  >
                  > Rat
                • Rat
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 11, 2005
                    Youngblood,

                    Both the Exploding Clove hitch and the Slipped Bowline will work to
                    suspend a ridgeline or a Hammock. Although I wouldn't suspend my
                    Hammock with the Expl. Clove, it could work loose when the Hammock
                    isn't occupied. Then when you set/lay down in it it would dump you.

                    Both of these are difficult to untie when extremely loaded, like if
                    you are lying in the hammock for example. I just use the Expl. Clove
                    on my ridge line because it is quick and easy, and I think it is
                    easier to adjust the loop size before you cinch it down than the
                    Slipped Bowline. Plus it has double the holding power (double
                    hitched) than the Slipped Bowline. Of course you could always use a
                    Slipped Water Bowline to accomplish the same thing, but that would
                    be more difficult to tie and still be a beast to untie under a load.

                    I use the Expl. Clove on one end of my ridge line and a Trucker's
                    Hitch on the other. When I break camp I untie the Trucker's and
                    wimper the Expl. Clove, this way I never need to untie it under
                    extreme tension.

                    Rat

                    > Rat,
                    >
                    > I was looking at the Exploding Clove Hitch and tied it off. It
                    > looked to me that for hammockers, that it would be applicable for
                    > similar applications as the Bowline with a Slip Loop, or quick
                    > release ( http://www.junglehammock.com/tips.php & Page Down about
                    3
                    > times). But, I noticed that after the Exploding Clove Hitch is
                    loaded
                    > that it is much more difficult to untie. Am I missing
                    something...
                    > seems like either knot should have sufficient holding power for
                    tarp
                    > ridgelines or hammock suspension lines? Anyway, as you know,
                    being
                    > able to easily untie knots is important... sometimes the
                    difference
                    > between great gear and gear that is a piece of @#%& is whether or
                    not
                    > you can untie it from the trees in the morning <grin>.
                    >
                    > Youngblood
                  • Rat
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 11, 2005
                      I also put up two more knots
                      The Driver's Hitch, a superior Trucker's Hitch, but still a Hitch.
                      and I rebuilt the Highwayman Hitch so it is easier to see and read.

                      Rat

                      P.S. If you see anything wrong with these knot instructions please let
                      me know. I have been known to mess 'em up in the past, JOAT usually
                      kept me in line tho. I just don't want some one to get hurt because I
                      put up bad knot info.
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 11, 2005
                        Rat,

                        I've never had the Slipped Bowline give me any trouble on hammock
                        suspension line or my ridgeline. I use a home make Speer with low
                        friction, hollow braid poly line for the hammock suspension line and
                        it easily slips the knot when it is unloaded.

                        On my tarp ridgeline I use the Slipped Bowline for the first tree and
                        then use Ed Speers Four Wrap Method on the second, smaller tree,
                        finished off with 2 half hitches. The Four Wrap Method (or 2 or 3
                        wraps if the tree is larger) allows me to tie it while the line is
                        taut and is easy to untie, especially if you finish off the 2nd half
                        hitch with a slip loop.

                        Knots are kind of neat aren't they? You can't always use your
                        preferred knots and need backup plans. If I don't have enough line
                        for the Four Wrap Method I will use a Slipped Bowline for both tarp
                        ridgelines and then work the Taut Line Knots that I use to attach the
                        ridgeline to the tarp to get the tarp taut. The Four Wrap Method
                        comes in handy when the spacing between trees isn't much more than
                        the length of the tarp and in those cases I will use the Four Wrap
                        Method for both knots. (I guess I'm using somewhat of a logic diagram
                        for which knot to use in what condition.)

                        I am switching to the Highwayman Hitch to suspend some of my stuff
                        sacks to my hammock suspension line or tarp ridgeline. It holds
                        better than the Slip Clove Hitch I was using and I have more
                        confidence in it holding all night during high winds. Thanks for the
                        work you are doing.

                        Youngblood